Pannier locos, Dapol or Farish

Started by 1936ace, March 03, 2016, 12:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

Hi all,
Have read some threads on here re the panniers. I really want having seen them in the flesh in Sydney today.
The Farish ones aren't here yet and while the Dapol ones are I'm worried about their running quality
The Dapol version is also cheaper
Any advice on which way to go please
Regards
Bart

Karhedron

My Dapol panniers have worked well and I am happy with them. Remember Dapol give a 2-year warranty so if you are not happy, just return it and swap for a decent one.

In part it depends on what you want to use it for. Dapol make the 5700 and later 8750 versions which were the most common variants. They were used for a variety of jobs and are good for almost anything where the speed was below 40 mph. Branchlines, shunting, even passenger services on shorter routes were all within their capabilities.

The 6400 series coming from Farish were a much more specific breed. They were light-weight tank engines fitted for auto-working. They had smaller wheels than the 5400 class (although they were otherwise very similar) which made them useful in situations where acceleration and hill-climbing was more important than top speed. They could be found on branchlines but were particularly associated with high-frequency suburban services in places like the welsh valleys and around Plymouth. Being optimised for passenger use, they were rarely wasted on freight work. They would normally be run with 1-4 autocoaches, either the existing ones from Dapol or the new BR-period ones coming from Farish.

One thing to be aware of with the Dapol versions is that they got a little confused with the GWR route colour discs. The 5700s and 8750s were given blue discs in GWR days. Around 1950, BR reclassified them with yellow discs. So GWR liveried version and early BR versions should have blue discs while others should have yellow discs. Dapol have made a bit of a mess of this with discs that don't always match the livery and some even having red discs (the same weight category as Halls and Castles  :goggleeyes: ).

My advice is that the Dapol locos are good and are probably better all-rounders. Drop me a PM if you are concerned about the route disc colour and I can advise on which ones have the correct discs. Don't be afraid to take advantage of the 2-year warranty to make sure you get a good runner. Mixed freight trains are good for them (complete with the Toad brake van ;) ). If you want them on passenger services, a pair of Dapol B-set coaches are ideal. Just pick the livery of the coaches to suit the livery of the pannier.

If you want an auto-train. The Farish one is the choice to go for (although they are not out yet). In BR days they would have run with the matching auto-coaches that Farish are producing. If you are modelling GWR days, you will need to pick up 1 or 2 Dapol auto-coaches in chocolate and cream livery as the Farish ones are only suitable from the early 50s onwards.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

railsquid

Quote from: Karhedron on March 03, 2016, 02:15:45 PM
My Dapol panniers have worked well and I am happy with them. Remember Dapol give a 2-year warranty so if you are not happy, just return it and swap for a decent one.
The "no quibble* 24 month mechanical warranty" involving a small fee of GBP 15 plus P+P? At least that's what it says on a piece of paper which came with the Dapol loco I'm just about to dispatch to DCC Supplies for repair under the 12 month standard warranty period.

Disclaimer: all my other Dapol locos work fine.

Karhedron

The one time I had to use this service I took the loco back to the store where I purchased it and they sent it to be repaired free of charge. They called me when it arrived back and I collected it.

I am lucky in having a Dapol authorised dealer in the same town though.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

johnlambert

I've got GWR, BR Lined early crest, BR plain early crest and BR late crest versions of Dapol's pannier tank and I'm happy with all of them.  Never had any problems with running, even over dead frog points.

railsquid

Quote from: Karhedron on March 03, 2016, 03:00:37 PM
The one time I had to use this service I took the loco back to the store where I purchased it and they sent it to be repaired free of charge. They called me when it arrived back and I collected it.

I am lucky in having a Dapol authorised dealer in the same town though.
Yeah, I'm on the wrong continent entirely, though on the plus side I didn't pay VAT.

Hailstone

I have 12 panniers, of which 7 are Dapol and they all run as good as, if not better than the existing Farish ones, the best of my Dapol panniers will run to an absolute crawl which is great to watch when shunting on Tremierten. and as far as looks go it is a no contest, Dapol wins hands down.
As for the up and coming 64xx tanks, I will be after 2, because if they run anything like the latest Jinty and 4F, they will be excellent, I can hardly wait....oh dear my wallet just went into hiding again!

Regards,

Alex

macwales

.Hi

My Dapol Pannier is the best small loco I have ever bought. Looks great, runs very slowly and smoothly at higher speed, is quiet and will pull my coal train (11 wagons) with ease without any added weights.  Forwards and reverse are just the same.

Cheers

Mac   :beers:

Chris Morris

The 57xx was common across the GWR and some 863 were built. They were used on all sorts of duties. None of these were fitted for use on push pull services.
There were only 40 64xx panniers. These were smaller and primarily used on push pull branch line services. They were all fitted to connect to an auto trailer.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

1936ace

Thanks everyone for the advice
I shall grab a late crest version.
Unless I had a mans look, Hatton's don't have any so I will have to wait or go searching
Cheers
Bart

marco neri

:hellosign:
My little Dapol Pannier is very good...especially as runner and hauler, very simlpe to DCC fit (6 pin decoder)...I'm going to purchase another one ..love'em

Cheers

Marco
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations