Ooooeeerrrr it's dark in here

Started by Alex, December 20, 2011, 09:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Just lost all our downstairs lights. My son was having one of his 'moments' up stairs and was jumpimg up and down when the lights went out.

Checked the fuse box and found a blown fuse. Replaced said fuse and hey presto. No lights!!! :thumbsdown:

All fuses in the box are ok but no lights come on. Below where he jumped is the lobby light. I assume when he landed something in the light shorted and took out the whole ring.

The Crimbo lights give off a nice glow and we have wall mounted lights which are powered by the power socket ring.

I'm off work on Friday so now I have something to do. :(

Alex

Alex

Tank

Alex

Yes, oh dear. Me and electrics don't get on too well. May have to call in a sparky. At Crimbo rates as well. :'(

4x2

My guess would be a wire has come loose inside the ceiling rose below the bouncy castle (bed !). You could have a look, but if you're unsure don't touch it - just in case ! Trying to do this in the dark is also not the best plan, safer in daylight.  :thumbsup:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Tank

I'm pretty good, but a shame you're so far away.  It's best to get someone in if you're not sure.  Costs a bomb, but I'm sure you'd rather that than risk something terrible happening.  ;o)  It's probably just a wire that's come out and touching another one.  If you can afford it, I'd recommend you update your fuse box/consumer unit to the modern RCD types.  It's the first thing I put into my house two years ago.

MikeDunn

Quote from: alex crawford on December 20, 2011, 09:42:08 PM
Just lost all our downstairs lights. [...] Checked the fuse box and found a blown fuse. Replaced said fuse and hey presto. No lights!!! :thumbsdown:
Funny that ... I turned on the kitchen lights about an hour ago, and had a major flash of light followed by - black ... and the fusebox is in the boilerhouse with only an outside access ... and it's raining  :thumbsdown:

Fortunately, resetting the fuse in the board fixed the problem !  But I really do need to get more small bulbs for the kitchen light system !  That's 3 out of 12 that have blown ... with no spares !

Hopefully ... the problem with yours will just be a loose wire in the lobby light rose !  Good luck !

Mike

Alex

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments. I'll have a look at it tomorrow when I get home from work. If I take the fuse out then that should isolate the downstairs lights.

Alex

point blank

Quote from: alex crawford on December 20, 2011, 10:42:21 PM
If I take the fuse out then that should isolate the downstairs lights.

Alex
I know that I am stating the obvious here but 'should' doesn't mean 'definately will', many house circuits have 'home improvements' that are not always done correctly or safely so please double check any wires first with a circuit tester/live wire detector before you touch them.

Alex

Hi PB,

Sure will. They'll be double and triple checked. In fact the wifes taking the kids out so I'll probably kill the power to the whole house just to be sure. ;D ;D

Who should the wife send my struff to just in case.... :wave:

Alex

Alex

Let there be light!!!

All's well now, we have lights. There were two broken wires in one of the junction boxes under the floorboards.

Got a sparky in just to be safe. Though in saying that he nearly blow himself up. Poking around in condiut piping for the broken wire with a pair of pliers. :o :o

Alex

poliss

Alex

Hi Poliss,

No, my 15 year Autistic son. When he gets stressed he runs about and jumps up and down. He was doing this back and forth on the upstairs landing. As he jumped he landed on the floor above the junction box. This box is hard up under the floorboard and as he landed it flexed and broke resulting in two of the live wires shorting and breaking.

The sparky repaired the wires and did a temporary repair to the box. I'm getting a new box plus a new fuse box fitted after Xmas. Our existing fuse box is an old one with fuse wire fuses, so it needs replacing.

Alex

polo2k

ive still got one of them. not confidence inspiring when you go into B&Q, ask for "fuse wire" and the assistant starts to explain that you should use an appropriate fuse to protect the wire

whats the world coming to!!!!
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

poliss

They took out our fuse box this year and replaced it with one of those trip thingy's.

Tank

Quote from: poliss on December 23, 2011, 03:27:42 PM
They took out our fuse box this year and replaced it with one of those trip thingy's.

Very wise!  I hope it has RCD protection?  I have two RCD's in my consumer unit, and about 14 MCB's (trip thingy's)!   ;D :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations