!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Jonas' workbench  (Read 9584 times)

Offline paulprice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Jonas' workbench
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2015, 01:52:46 pm »
Grubby rat
Grubby rat

Here's the latest addition to the fleet - a Farish 25/2. I've been looking for an unweathered blue one for a while and spotted this in my local model shop on Wednesday...a Christmas present to myself!

A little more work than the usual weathering job, as I decided I couldn't live with the very prominent handrails on the cab fronts. Theses were carefully pulled out, trimmed and reshaped to fit, which also required the holes to be opened out a smidge. I also stripped the thick paint and repainted them while they were out. Unfortunately they are just held in by the factory paint job, so a couple of touch ups were required to the warning yellow on the cab front.

Weathering was then fine using my usual oil paint washes and powders, slightly heavier on the cab fronts than I'd like, but it hides a couple if sins! Running is perfect to a crawl after a bit if playing with the CVs; it's interesting I can get my 24, 25 and 37s to crawl and accelerate much more realistically than the later released pair of 20s I have. Different motors, I guess.

Anyway, apologies for the ramble; typing this as my girlfriend catches up on sleep having just done a night shift delivering Christmas babies! Merry Christmas to you all, and here's to a productive modelling year for us all in 2016!

Your tempting me to go BR Blue, but what would I do with all my steamers?

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2015, 01:58:11 pm »
Grubby rat
Grubby rat

Grubby Rat? Was there any other kind?

Your model is definitely how I remember this class of diesel. Not much loved at the time. Underpowered. Slow. Not entirely reliable. In other words: a classic BR diesel!

Great photo, too.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Jonas

• 2mm Association Number: 5046
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2015, 11:50:58 am »
Seacow selection
Seacow selection

Here are the latest models off the workbench - actually a commission I got just before Christmas  :) These seacows have been weathered and had loads added. I used a scrap of sponge to add some subtle paint chipping to the hoppers' sides and on the handrails in places, which is a technique pinched from armour modelling.

They will shortly be returning to their owner - I hope they are pleased with them!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 11:53:28 am by Jonas »

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2015, 01:03:46 pm »
I've weathered my Dogfishes, Seacow and Sealion as well, but one thing I wonder about is the actual chute part at the bottom. On the real thing these often seem to be worn down to the metal by the ballast flowing through. Do you think matt steel or something like that would re-create that effect? At the moment the chutes on mine look like yours, the same basic colour as the chassis, but I'm curious whether that's actually what happens in real life?

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/seacow

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2015, 01:31:33 pm »
Good point! I've used some Mig powders light dust to streak the chutes, but it is very subtle and hardly there at all on the photo I've posted. The chutes certainly a lighter colour than the underframe in most  the pictures you've linked!

It looks like a rusty streak rather than steel to my eye - perhaps water runs through the bottoms of the wagons, and this coupled with the abrasive nature of discharging ballast, creates the the rusty streaks you can see on the prototype?

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2015, 01:34:51 pm »
It looks like a rusty streak rather than steel to my eye - perhaps water runs through the bottoms of the wagons, and this coupled with the abrasive nature of discharging ballast, creates the the rusty streaks you can see on the prototype?

That makes a lot of sense, but I'm going to try to find the ones where it looked more steely metal than rust (feeding the baby at the moment, and that takes a lot more time than you'd think...). I'm thinking that regular scraping away would expose steel, whereas a hopper that was used only irregularly would, as you say, have more evidence of corrosion. Hmm...  :hmmm:

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2015, 01:43:46 pm »
Some of the ones I've looked at are just rusty all over...I think infrequent use was definitely an issue in more recent times!

Offline G_N_E_R

• Just another N Gauge modeler, focusing on GNER!
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2015, 08:14:45 pm »
 :greatpicturessign: :greatwork: :jealous: Says it all really!
Phil
If it ain't Blue and Red, something must be wrong!!

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2015, 12:57:28 pm »
Happy new year everybody!

Arrive 150 1
Arrive 150 1

Here's something a little more up-to-date! I've been trying very hard to keep everything BR blue, stick to the period, keep focussed...but I've wanted one of these for a while. Memories of riding them around the Valleys whilst at uni in South Wales, maybe. I placed an ad on the Facebook group to see if anyone happened to have one they were looking to move on...and low and behold, it was in my hands the next day  :D

Arriva 150 2
Arriva 150 2

Now it wouldn't be fun if I couldn't do a bit of weathering, even if they are kept relatively clean. So the underframe and snow ploughs got a wash of gunky black brown, mixed up from oil paints. This was also applied thinly around the door frames and other areas dirt tends to collect on these units, using a block of sponge and a cotton bud to try and replicate the cleaning process on a real unit. Powders were then applied where needed, especially on the roof area. I also used some ground up pencil lead applied with a finger to simulate the warn metal you see on one half of the corridor connector on the nose - although this isn't particularity obvious on the photos. I also changed the couplings between the carriages to one short and one long of the Dapol solid buckeyes, which has brought them closer together and caused no issues on my Kato test loop.

The photos show up where I'd gone a bit overboard on one of the doors - now rectified! Overall I'm happy - it was a different challenge to the other stuff I've done recently, and one that I enjoyed.

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2015, 01:21:36 pm »
Glad to hear that you got the model you wanted.  :)  Looks good.

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2016, 10:12:59 am »
Hmmmm. Sticking to BR blue didn't last long. Anyway...

I sold my modern image stock a while back, with the intention of restricting my modelling to the late 70s / early 80s. However, like many of us, my interests flip from one thing to another and I started to regret letting go of my 2 EWS 66s, especially as they are so ubiquitous on the modern network. I also have a feeling the supply in this livery will dry up as DB starts to restrict models released to those in it's own corporate identity, as seen on the wagons in the latest Farish catalogue.

So a cheeky 'best offer' on eBay last weekend was accepted, and I now have an EWS shed back in my collection. I've done the usual weathering and flattened the finish with varnish before hitting it with some powders. The real thing has a folded buckeye coupling on the bufferbeam; I've sort of represented this with one of the dummy buckeyes from a Mark 1 coach until I find something better. DCC decoder hardwired in and its ready for use.

Now, I could do with some JNAs for it to pull really...

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2016, 10:19:50 am »
I feel the same way! I much prefer the BR era to the privatised railway in terms of modelling; the variety of traction was just so much more interesting. But I see these EWS and Freightliner 66s so often I feel the need to have one. The one I bought secondhand some years back was an original specification Dapol one that sounded like a bag of spanners. Eventually sold it on. Still not ready to bite the bullet and try again... your weathering job here might spur in me into it!

Cheers, NeMo

I sold my modern image stock a while back, with the intention of restricting my modelling to the late 70s / early 80s. However, like many of us, my interests flip from one thing to another and I started to regret letting go of my 2 EWS 66s, especially as they are so ubiquitous on the modern network.

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2016, 08:26:48 pm »
The lengths of the trains is the biggest issue for me; there aren't many 66s pootling around on pick up goods  ;D I managed to pick up 3 Dapol JNAs today as a case in point - although small trains do run, realistically I'll need another 12+ to replicate a typical working! And a massive layout run  the whole train on ha ha! I like the idea of being able to model what I see out and about though.

I had a Dapol 66 at one point too, but I much prefer the finer moulding of the Farish offering, even if it lacks the fine roof etch of the Dapol one. It also allows the air dam to be fitted to the coupling end too, which you can't on the Farish without modification.

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2016, 10:13:03 am »
Continuing on my current modern theme...

jna 2
jna 2

These 3 JNA Falcon infrastructure wagons are from Dapol, picked up last week to go with my EWS 66. Weathered as usual using oil paint washes and powders. Burnt umber was liberally applied inside the wagons, and left to try for a bit - then dragged around with a large flat brush dampened with a touch of thinners to give a streaky rusted effect. I then added Mig 'light dust' powder inside. I was going to add a load, but I'm not so sure whether I will or not now.

jna 1
jna 1

I found one of them wouldn't run without derailing - a look underneath showed some plastic flash on one of the bogies. Sliced off with a sharp knife and all was well again! There was also some flash present on the buffers, again worth looking out for if you've any waiting for some time on the workbench.

Also of note, I'm giving the Dapol magnetic couplers another try on my modern stock. The non-NEM Farish 66 was an easy conversion - pop off the bogie and superglue into the Rapido slot!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:15:49 am by Jonas »

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2016, 10:03:42 am »

It's an ugly brute of a loco. But I like it!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here