!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Jonas' workbench  (Read 11092 times)

Offline Jonas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 2mm Association Number: 5046
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
Re: Jonas' workbench
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 10:08:07 pm »
Very nice, but if you think the 67 is pretty weird, what do you make of the class 70? :hmmm:

Entirely weird!

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 11:25:30 am »
This is what has rolled off the workbench this week...

boring duff
boring duff

I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a Farish plain BR blue 47 for a while; whilst selling on some other stock I got the chance to grab 47403 ' The Geordie' as part of a trade. 47403 was named in 1982, slightly after my rough time period for my blue stock so out came the T-cut! Very gentle rubbing removed the nameplates and also the logos above the numbers. The red buffer beam was repainted in black, and the whole model given a gentle wash of thinned oil paints.The model didn't come with the detail pack so I raided the spares box for a representation of the bufferbeam detail. When semi dry these were pulled down the side of the loco with a large flat brush. A squirt of Citadel Purity Seal flattened the finish before I added powders to the rood, underframe and sides.

Overall, I'm really pleased with how this one has come out - a completely unremarkable and anonymous duff. Of course, later in life 47403 would have a Herefordshire connection - it was based at Moreton-on-Lugg and used as a training aid for the SAS for a few years...

Offline Bangor Lad

• N Gauge Society Number: 19972
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 12:54:32 pm »
That's a nice subtle finish you've achieved.

Cheers
Bangor Lad
aka Dave
Winner N Gauge Society Building Cup 2015

Bespoke building services. PM for details

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/78608332@N07/albums

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 11:38:41 am »
It's time I turned my attention to some rolling stock that isn't 16 ton mineral wagons. I started to think what else would look good hung behind a grubby blue diesel, give me a bit of variety yet not have a long fixed formation? A bit of searching helped me decide a mail rake would be useful - I could expand it later with some weird and wonderful additions, but for now enjoy weathering some of Farish's excellent coaching stock and still run it in a realistically short rake.

Mail train 1
Mail train 1

I ordered a blue / grey BG, which seem to almost ever present in these type of trains, and an all-blue GUV van (with motorail branding, but small enough to ignore!). Then the fun bit - wash of black and burnt umber oil paints, Purity Seal varnish spray, then attention with some weathering powders. I tried not to go too overboard, even though photographs I've seen show these vehicles in some shocking external condition - presumably mostly running at night meant a wash wasn't the priority?! - although I found I needed to bring out the door detail with an additional wash of Citadel nuln oil (black ink to us mortals) carefully painted into the crevices. I was worried this wouldn't key to the surface (it really doesn't like glossy surfaces) but the varnish coat had prepared it.

mail train 2
mail train 2

I couldn't resist trying this photo whilst the camera was out too, it really shows how far N gauge has come. These items are pretty much out of the box, with the only modification to the Class 24 is the cutting off the NEM coupling pocket and adding a Dapol dummy screw link. The rest are the details supplied in the box. I'm very happy with these, and itching to add a few more vehicles as I see them. I feel like there is a constant standard across my fleet, and I'm trying to make sure my latest purchases maintain this. I've moved on some of my modern stock to try and help me to focus on this era.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2015, 12:37:30 pm »
Very nice, Jonas :drool:

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 07:16:44 pm »

Here's my latest - a Farish Class 20.

For anyone interested in how I go about weathering my stock, I've added a step by step thread showing how I completed this loco to the tutorials board  :wave:

Offline Hyperion

• G'day
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 01:39:52 am »
I am very impressed with your work. So now I am following this thread :)
DC or DCC, that is the question.

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 10:32:33 am »
Just a quick picture today - the loco line up!

line up
line up

From left to right; Western Courier, 47403, 37038, 37238,24035 and the latest addition, 20192. Blue is definately the colour! The wagon fleet consists of 14 grotty 16 ton mineral wagons and a break van, and the parcels stock a BG and a GUV as picture earlier in the thread.

Now, my current layout is a loop of Kato unitrack. I'm mulling over the idea of a small stabling point diorama as space is limited; get my scenic skills together before I start thinking about the big one! I may try building a finetrax point kit for it. We'll see!

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 01:47:31 pm »
Excellent weathering.

Seen your work on the Facebook page. Outstanding :o

Cheers, Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1992-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Offline RBE

• RBE Concepts - Shapeways site
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 11:17:03 am »
Nice weathering buddy. Dont remember seeing much of your stock over on RMWeb I must have missed it somehow. Like you I have only just started posting on here. I really dont know why.

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 01:33:01 pm »
Thanks gents! My rmweb is posted on my blog, which probably means it's been missed by most on there. I've found this a really positive forum though so I'm glad I started sharing here too!

I've not done a lot recently; had a break and painted a tank for my 40k army. I've some more mineral wagons on the way so will take some snaps when they are done :-)

Offline RBE

• RBE Concepts - Shapeways site
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 01:37:28 pm »
Ahh 40K I've done my faor share of that in the past. Great foundation for weathering stock I reckon.

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 08:28:05 am »
table twenty
table twenty

Sometimes watching a train run around in circles is a simple pleasure in itself!

I posted this on the Facebook group at the weekend, so thought I'd add it here to show that I have been up to something! All I've got done recently is another 3 of the excellently printed Farish mineral wagons; toned down the wierd sandy coloured underframe , added some washes and powders and sprinkled a touch of real coal dust in the bottom of the wagons.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2015, 09:54:37 am »
A nice scruffy rake, Jonas. It's amazing how soothing just watching a train go round can be, especially if watched with a glass of your favourite tipple :D

Offline Jonas

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 07:26:01 am »
loco line up
loco line up

Group shot of the loco fleet. All detailed and weathered Farish models. The next addition is a partner for my 20; a renumber awaits that one when it arrives.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here