!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: AnyRail  (Read 9623 times)

Offline RichardBattersby

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
AnyRail
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:29:12 pm »
Just to let anyone trying to decide what track planning software to use that AnyRail is really very good. It is very intuitive thanks to its Office 2010 style 'Ribbon' toolbar and looks nice too. Simple and easy and I didn't have to read any tutorials.

Great bit of software and thoroughly recommended!  :thumbsup:
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Offline Chris M.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17738
    • Awards
Re: AnyRail
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 02:23:53 pm »
And I'll second that. I signed up for it when it was still called D-Rail and was at version 2 IIRC. Since then it has developed into a really powerful piece of software. My current plan is divided into 6 layers which makes it very easy to change he display to show only the trackplan and whatever I am working on (landscape, signals, reference ID's etc.). Plans can be exported to jpeg images in a whole variety of zoom levels or to Trainplayer so that you can run virtual trains on it.

However, there is one very important point that Richard didn't mention. AR has an excellent forum. As with all forums it is divided into main topic areas. One of these is for users' suggestions and the AnyRail team really do take notice of what is posted. As well as showing an interest in users' general posts, usually with personal responses, they often incorporate suggestions into the software as well as answering users' problems.

Give it a go. You can download a trial version which gives ful access to all facilities, the only limitation being that it allows only 50 track items. The full version is enabled as soon as you buy a license.

All the best,
Chris.

Offline RichardBattersby

• N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 05:33:52 pm »
However, there is one very important point that Richard didn't mention. AR has an excellent forum. As with all forums it is divided into main topic areas. One of these is for users' suggestions and the AnyRail team really do take notice of what is posted. As well as showing an interest in users' general posts, usually with personal responses, they often incorporate suggestions into the software as well as answering users' problems.

That's because I didn't know about it!  :o Do now though, and it looks useful too. Thanks. :)
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Offline kirky

• N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 06:13:16 pm »
I didn't know about the Anyrail forum either. I've been using it a while and used it to devlop our plan of Northallerton which can be seen herehttp://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.0.

I must agree wholeheartedly that Anyrail is well worth the money in my opinion. It is very intuitive.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance .....

Layout: Northallerton
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 07:25:08 pm »
Unfortunately no Mac version, so it's a no go for me.

I've been using RailModeller, which has the advantage of being able to export tracks to test on the iRunTrains apps.

Offline TimothyB

• N Gauge Society Number: 26733
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 09:12:34 pm »
I've tried a couple of other programmes available but found them at best idiosyncratic and the worst downright impossible.
With Any Rail I managed to get most of what I wanted just by using it the way I expected a piece of CAD software to work and was pleasantly surprised.

After running into the number of elements limit for the trial version, 50 if I remember correctly, once too often - I too splashed out and bought a full Any Rail license, well worth the money IMHO.

Regards to all

Timothy.

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
  • 2mm Association Number: 4735
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 01:42:48 am »
"Plans can be exported to jpeg images in a whole variety of zoom levels or to Trainplayer so that you can run virtual trains onit ".

See the trainplayer thread if necessary to get my point - I can't successfully export n guage layouts to trainplayer. Any help welcome!

Offline Chris M.

• N Gauge Society Number: 17738
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 08:11:42 am »
Your best bet is to go onto the AnyRail Forum at http://www.anyrail.com/forum_en/index.php and ask. I was having problems with my Z scale track plan working in TrainPlayer and they were very promptly resolved. It's too long ago for me to remember the solution (which was very simple) but it will still be there. Just search for "Chris" and "Trainplayer"; that'll probably find it, though I am sure others have discussed it as well.

Best wishes,
Chris.

Offline Sprintex

• N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 06:39:23 pm »
Another vote for Anyrail here  :thumbsup:

Nice and easy to use and extensive track libraries. Had a decent layout design within minutes of downloading the free version, and after spending hours trying to figure out how XTrkCad was supposed to work - what a PITA that was!!  ::)

Paul
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:52:19 pm by Sprintex »

Offline mr magnolia

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 06:56:59 am »
Your best bet is to go onto the AnyRail Forum at http://www.anyrail.com/forum_en/index.php and ask. I was having problems with my Z scale track plan working in TrainPlayer and they were very promptly resolved. It's too long ago for me to remember the solution (which was very simple) but it will still be there. Just search for "Chris" and "Trainplayer"; that'll probably find it, though I am sure others have discussed it as well.

Best wishes,
Chris.

Chris - I just did exactly as you suggested and bingo! Your query dates from 2008.
I'll try the solution suggested, which 'aligns the grid' and see where that gets me.
Thanks.

Offline mr magnolia

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 10:24:53 pm »
sadly, it looks like you have to have the tracklayer upgrade, at $44, to be allowed to realign the grid.

Offline meadow55

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 03:29:01 pm »
Just to add that I've been using Anyrail; very intuitive, and I like the fact that if you are designing at multiple levels it will automatically show gradients.  You can download the software as a trial (limited to fifty track pieces) to see if it's what you want before you lay out any hard cash.

Highly recommended.

Online Steve.T

• N Gauge Society Number: 23237
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 08:15:05 pm »
+1 for AnyRail.

Even as a tight Yorshireman I paid out the very reasonable fee for the registered version.

Only complaint I have is that it is so easy to design your layout that it is so easy to get carried away and end up with a huge layout to construct.  :laugh:

But it is just so user friendly and I really like how you can print out a shopping list of the track bits you need.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Offline Sprintex

• N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 08:36:36 pm »
. . . as a tight Yorkshireman . . .

:smiley-laughing:

Only complaint I have is that it is so easy to design your layout that it is so easy to get carried away and end up with a huge layout to construct.  :laugh:

Or end up with a LIST of layouts you'd like to build giving enough work for about the next 20 years!!  :worried:  ;D

Paul

Offline ChrisPattaya

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 10:47:36 am »
Full marks to AnyRail - excellent programme.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything