!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: P&D Marsh County 10XX  (Read 3185 times)

Online Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: P&D Marsh County 10XX
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 11:12:15 pm »
I've always thought that the Bachfar Black Five could be turned into a reasonable representation of the County class - if people could accept the stretched wheelbase at, I think, 7'4 by 8'. The tender drive, while having a similar set of frames, might be a show stopper if Farish used all the available height to fit the motor and decoder though.

Somebody else asked me about the County and I've got a couple of spare 'Fives' if anyone is interested in me doing a feasibility study into potentially doing one....

Edit: Having just looked it up the 'Five's' wheelbase is apparently 7' by 8' so really not far out. I'll have a look at my reference books when I'm back in the morning.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:29:09 pm by Atso »

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 01:30:56 am »
A County is a missing key loco from my roster for my layout Vale of Oxbury and I have photographs of my late Grandfather driving them in Swindon in the early 60's. So safe in the assumption it will be a few years before a RTR model appears, I have sourced a decent late Bachman Farish Hall and the PD Marsh Conversion kit.
I have a N brass replacement front bogie planned and I would be keen to receive suggestions for other improvements from the N brass range.
Is it worth removing mounded handrails and fitting replacement wire ones?
Pics of any conversions very welcome.

I have stated earlier in this thread that none of the kits/conversions are any more than crude representations of this class. having said that, all the kits that I have built/rebuilt have had the moulded handrails replaced by brass ones, but the 2 halls I did were not done as the metal bodies are made of a harder metal and replacement handrails could not be justified as the Farish bodies were also crude by modern standards and the effort would not justify the result in my view.
As for the PD Marsh conversion kit, I find it also too crude by modern standards especially for a layout of the standards set by "Vale of Oxbury". I have been tinkering with the idea of a cut and shut of the Farish Castle and 8F as the County boiler was built using 8F boiler components and the cab was more like Castle dimensions than Hall.
I am still working on this, with the idea of using a Peco Jubilee chassis and the the tender body of a kit designed to convert a Peco Jubilee into a County (also a rather crude one)

Regards,

Alex

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:32:21 am by Hailstone »

Offline carlwooduk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9368
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 07:32:30 am »
Alex, steve thanks for feedback. I have a black 5 so will give that a critical look over as well. I. Still have 1 old Farish castle which has been weathered and super detailed and is still respectable as long as it's not next to the new one. A representation of a county will have many compromises going down the hall/ pd marsh route. Thanks for tip on difficulty of removing handrails, any other details from N Brass that would enhance the model?

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 07:52:12 am »
This is interesting.

I have a few kits of the Langley County. I have made them up , spray them, look at them and think...nah. I usually end up taking them apart with a good old soak, but hey that footplate bends so easily.
Using a Black 5 sounds an interesting option, and some parts from the Langley kit may, and I mean may, be useful.

It surprises me that a county has not been produced as a rtr, as that straight splasher does somewhat set them apart from other GWR classes.

Maybe it's something DJM might consider if the King class he's doing ends up ticking all the boxes, and  healthy orders?   (things are a bit quiet on the King front, so I assume Dave must be beavering away at it)

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 09:32:28 am »
I think the P&D body kit can make a good County when mounted on a Peco chassis. Mine was bought s/h by auction and has had the footplate rebuilt with full length splasher, fitted with a single chimney, and the tender modified to represent the Hawksworth 4,000 gallon flush-sided (slabside) style:

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 09:54:05 am »
Hi,

Having had a few minutes to do some checking, I placed the Farish Black Five over some County drawings scaled down to 1:148 scale.

As you can see the rear coupled wheel is a fraction too long for the County by a whopping 0.5mm!  ::) Coupled wheels are good too at 6' for the 'Five' and 6'2 for the County and the balance weights aren't too dissimilar.

The bogie is a little further out as the 'Five' has a bogie wheelbase of 6'6 against the County's 7'2 but that should be fairly simple to sort out a longer bogie.

If you're happy to accept Derby style footsteps then the tender looks like a pretty good match. However, the question remains if the good representation of the Hawksworth tender body can be made to fit over the Farish tender drive.

I am happy to look at this further if anyone is interested in potentially having a kit developed to fit this donor chassis.

Offline carlwooduk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9368
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 07:08:16 pm »
Steve, those comparisons on County drawings to latest Black 5 confirm the potential for a superior conversion when compared to the Hall as a donor. A bonus is the black 5 tender drive is dcc ready. I would fully support you in exploring a next step for a new conversion kit.
How could the valve gear be modified? The eccentric rod needs to be removed and other parts of the more complex LMS set up compared to the simple GWR approach.
Cheers

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 10:26:00 pm »
Hi Carl,

I'll have to admit that I've not taken apart a Black Five but assume that it follows a common design with the Jubilee which I do have experience with. If this is the case then the valve gear is hung on a plastic spacer that traverses the chassis holding both sides on. By removing the chassis weight this and the cylinders can be removed. The cross heads can then be slid out of the slide bars and the cylinders put aside for safe keeping. The it is simply a case of breaking the rivet between the crosshead and the union link allowing the valve gear to come away leaving you with the cross head and connecting rod which can now be reunited with the cylinders and replaced on the chassis with the big end of the connecting rod being screwed back into the centre driving wheels.

It sounds more complicated than it is and I'll see about doing some investigation into the assembly sometime between now and Monday.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here