!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scalescene models  (Read 31548 times)

Offline mickster04

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The sing of the rails, music to my ears
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Links to mikes online presense
    • Awards
Re: Scalescene models
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2017, 08:52:43 pm »
I did the retaining wall with fair success. I didn't have the right thickness card really though. however, as an experience it was good. Compared to the metcalfe kits where all the materials fit together correctly as they have the right sizes/thicknesses etc and therefore the instructions work better.

However, I think you'll agree it doesn't look terribly shabby. (Except for the graffiti, but that's intentional :P)

Online scottmitchell74

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2017, 01:24:38 am »
I just bought, downloaded and printed my first scalescenes (after the delivery of A4 paper today) and... :goggleeyes:  I'm terrified!! 4 very full pages of instructions and tiny little everythings. I've been reading this thread to get pumped up. Many, many posts end with..."but it's worth it"...so I'm hoping that's true.

Anyhow, kudos and thanks to those who've gone ahead. I've seen some incredible looking buildings on this thread.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline mickster04

• The sing of the rails, music to my ears
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Links to mikes online presense
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2017, 02:17:05 am »
the instructions are...thorough...

whilst they can be daunting they are very good, I used the wrong sized card which didn't help the instructions.
That's where metcalfe are good, their kits have the right size card as part of it :D4

Otherwise, very well thought out kits... They could be simplified but would lose a lot of what makes them so good.

Offline cjdodd

• Owner of Colworth Hill and Billybrook Yard
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2017, 06:58:36 am »
Once you get the first one under your belt and build up your confidence you'll love them. Dont expect a quick build, take your time. I'm currently building the school and I'm already into week two.

Online scottmitchell74

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2017, 05:15:34 pm »
So when the instructions as for light/medium/heavy card...how do I determine that? If I'm using cereal box, oatmeal box, or something else? Is there an easy way to figure this out? Thanks!   :thankyousign: :NGaugersRule:
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Offline Steve Brassett

• Awards
« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2017, 05:24:02 pm »
So when the instructions as for light/medium/heavy card...how do I determine that? If I'm using cereal box, oatmeal box, or something else? Is there an easy way to figure this out? Thanks!   :thankyousign: :NGaugersRule:
On one of the sheets there will be recommendations.  They can be crucial, so it is worth trying to find them.  It does depend on the model, of course, but anything with stone capping needs to have the walls the right thickness.

Offline cjdodd

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2017, 05:24:02 pm »
It should say on the front sheet what weight or mm card to use.

Online scottmitchell74

• Awards
« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2017, 05:43:35 pm »
What I mean is...how do I know what thickness the card I have is? Or do I just need to break down and buy it, so I'll know?

Offline cjdodd

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2017, 05:50:33 pm »
I grabbed some pads of different weight paper from hobby craft and for the thickest card I use gray board from eBay. It lasts for ages.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: February 18, 2017, 05:54:00 pm »
What I mean is...how do I know what thickness the card I have is? Or do I just need to break down and buy it, so I'll know?

You could visit a craft/art store to get hands-on with some card stock, so you get some knowledge that you can then translate to your cereal cartons.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online scottmitchell74

• Awards
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2017, 08:30:30 pm »
Concerning all the little interior details...are these visible at the end? Does everyone do all of the interior details? Are they integral to the structural integrity of the building? Thanks!

Offline cjdodd

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2017, 08:35:59 pm »
I made a whole lot of furniture for one of my rows of houses. You can't really see them but I know they are there. I even made a miniature model railway for one of the rooms.

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2017, 08:52:56 pm »
Concerning all the little interior details...are these visible at the end? Does everyone do all of the interior details? Are they integral to the structural integrity of the building? Thanks!

Having built rows of scalescenes and Smart models downloads I would not bother about interiors as they are not visible unless you are going to fit interior lighting.
I have just started on a new model of "Glasgow style" tenament buildings. Having followed the instructions to the letter I will build the next version without many of the interior walls / finishes as they will never be seen.

Build one, then have a look and decide if you need interior details.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2017, 10:47:42 pm »
I made a whole lot of furniture for one of my rows of houses. You can't really see them but I know they are there. I even made a miniature model railway for one of the rooms.

Was it n gauge?

N gauge of n gauge ... now that WOULD be small!  :laugh:
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Offline cjdodd

• Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: April 03, 2017, 06:14:54 am »
It was in N scale yes. I took a top down photo of my layout and scaled it down and mounted it on staples for legs. I've got a photo somewhere I'll try and find it.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here