Ouch !

Started by port perran, July 11, 2017, 04:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Just discovered that it doesn't pay to have your finger underneath the baseboard board when drilling through from above!
Apparently my finger doesn't stop the drill bit  :doh:
Lots of blood but no lasting damage except for a sore finger. I was off to my weekly guitar lesson this evening but as the "hole" is on the end of the first finger of my left hand and I can't put any pressure on the strings, I've had to cancel that.
Idiot or what :dunce:
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on July 11, 2017, 04:42:16 PM

What. I guess we've all done silly things like that but few have fessed up.
Hope it heals enough to play the geetar really soon, Martin.

Malc

I was straightening the blades of a cylinder mover and turned it on to check it was OK. The vibration caused to to slip off the workbench. I tried to catch it and lost the ends of two fingers off my left hand. No lasting damage, but had no feeling in the ends for about 10 years. Had to stop playing guitar.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

themadhippy

Best get it checked out,a mate done the same with a 3mm bit and thought no more about it, couple of days later  hes in hospital with a black finger undergoing minor surgery
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: themadhippy on July 11, 2017, 05:54:57 PM
Best get it checked out,a mate done the same with a 3mm bit and thought no more about it, couple of days later  hes in hospital with a black finger undergoing minor surgery
Yes, I had, what I thought was a minor disagreement with a circular saw, and just wrapped a plaster around it. My ex made me go to the ER to get it checked out. After they had investigated and removed all the nasty (nominally invisible) bits, I went home with eleven stitches and a tongue lashing from the surgeon about nearly losing a finger. It really didn't look bad when it happened!  Seems that, due to finger tips being at the extremes of the blood supply, there is less healing and it needs all the assistance it can get. (or something like that - I ain't no doctor)
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Zogbert Splod on July 11, 2017, 06:14:23 PM
Quote from: themadhippy on July 11, 2017, 05:54:57 PM
Yes, I had, what I thought was a minor disagreement with a circular saw, and just wrapped a plaster around it. My ex made me go to the ER to get it checked out. After they had investigated and removed all the nasty (nominally invisible) bits, I went home with eleven stitches and a tongue lashing from the surgeon about nearly losing a finger. It really didn't look bad when it happened!  Seems that, due to finger tips being at the extremes of the blood supply, there is less healing and it needs all the assistance it can get. (or something like that - I ain't no doctor)

Best to get a leech to get the blood flowing.  :D

Skyline2uk

Quote from: port perran on July 11, 2017, 04:42:16 PM
Just discovered that it doesn't pay to have your finger underneath the baseboard board when drilling through from above!
Apparently my finger doesn't stop the drill bit  :doh:
Lots of blood but no lasting damage except for a sore finger. I was off to my weekly guitar lesson this evening but as the "hole" is on the end of the first finger of my left hand and I can't put any pressure on the strings, I've had to cancel that.

Another vote for "what".

I have gone to "catch" a falling, switched on soldering iron before.

Positive was that I saved some rental deposit for not burning the carpet. Negative was a massive blister on my finger tip that hindered typing at work...

I have also since learnt that just dunking in cold water for ages isn't good enough. Needs to be under constant running water to maintain cold otherwise your hand just warms up the water bowl.

Anyway, accidents happen so just hope you are ok.

Skyline2uk

Bealman

Oh no! The geetar hand! Hope it heals quickly.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob G

Reminds me of something that happened at our walk in surgery.

We live in Farming country, so its quite common to see folk with the odd finger missing, but everything stopped when a guy came in clutching a red stained white towel around his left hand.

He had been helping out in the wood yard with a circular saw. His hand holding down the timbers to be sawn.

Then the blade hit a knot in the wood, and the saw jumped out of the cut, and ran over the back of his hand while at full power.

A good reason why I will not entertain one in my house.

I hope Port Perran's finger is not as bad as that, but fingers and hands are useful things.

Get well soon.
Bob

Bealman

I regard circular saw as no no.

The thickness of wood I have ever had to deal with can be done by hand or a jigsaw.

Apologies to experienced tradespeople!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Mito

Hope it heals quickly and you're strumming again soon. My favorite is feeling to see if a screw has come through using an electric screwdriver. I think my fingers have more holes than a secondhand pin cushion.
The best one was when I tried to decapitate my little finger by trapping it between a wheel and brake caliper. At least it was a Ferrari. The woman doctor wasn't very amused when I asked her if she was qualified in sewing. She was a little frugal with the local anesthetic after that.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Newportnobby

Why, when questioned about something, do doctors get the needle? :confused2: ;)

dannyboy

This thread has me in stitches  ;D
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

BoxTunnel

Barre chords are your friend...
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

davidinyork

I've got a scar on one thumb from when I was holding a piece of wood while someone else drilled a hole in it with a hole cutter. The hole cutter had just had its pilot drill replaced, and it hadn't been screwed in properly. I'm sure you can guess the rest!

Also have a number of scars from molten polyester rope. I used to have cause to splice this, either to itself or to natural fibre rope, and the best way to seal the ends of the splice was to melt the loose end with a gas lighter then smear it flat along the rope. No matter how careful I was, drips were always a risk!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations