!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Brizzle Project  (Read 738 times)

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
The Brizzle Project
« on: June 24, 2017, 12:18:26 pm »
Many years ago I started a large round the walls layout with a good sized through/terminus station with lots of facilities based in the Bristol area.  (Brizzle is how the locals pronounce the city's name in dialect so I am informed by a former colleague from the city).  The overall project is to recreate something similar in a slightly larger room with some accompanying supporting layouts.  The room is being prepared but currently contains the only wardrobes in the house for me and for Charlotte, my 9 year old daughter.

In addition to a simple test circuit laid on a pice of chipboard the first part of the project is close to completion in the form of my Canal Wharf layout described in the "Box File Layouts" thread.  This was built partly to allow me to practise modelling skills that had been dormant for a long time and also to get something going.

The next stage is a small city terminus named "Brizzle Charlotte Street" which is currently based around the Minories plan by Cyril Freezer.  This will initially be a stand alone layout but the idea is that it can be integrated in the main layout as a removable option to use at exhibitions.  In stand alone form the main board is 5 feet by about 8 inches currently and will be made from plywood in an 'egg box' style.  It will have a fiddle yard made of cassettes to fit on the end and could also have additional boards to provide freight and loco facilities.

More when I get to the next stage.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: The Brizzle Project
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 12:22:03 pm »
Sounds great! Please keep us up to date With piccies!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 12:36:28 pm »
I'm still sorting the new house so it may be a few weeks before anything more happens.  I may replan the station throat as the Minories track arrangement is a bit curvy.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 12:39:53 pm »
Knowing the "areal" pretty well, I'm looking forward to this un.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 04:08:16 pm »
Well, having spent 52 years as a Bristolian the Brizzle bit "gert az I puzzled"  As I'm sure Port Perran will agree one of the two local football teams is called Brista Citee, tuther being Brista Rovers, known locally as The Gas.

I am fairly certain the Brizzle bit was randomly coined some year back by an author of a local book on the dialect. However, in all my years living there I cannot recall anyone calling it Brizzle, as in grizzle but with a B.

Jus fought I'd put thee right my babber, so ther thee biss.  lol

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 04:56:10 pm »
Thanks.  Having lived in Bermingum for over 60 years I see the same sort of thing.  My contact is, I think, a bit of a country yokel from out at Filton.  The main thing is the name is a play on Bristol to give the vague location.  Originally I wanted something to represent that wonderful Brunellian station (much altered) at Temple Meads and my original layout was meant to have the station on a curve but I bottled out and almost all of the platform was straight.

I wanted to be able to mix trains from my family 'home' of London with trains from my long time abode in Birmingham and also my love of Great Western - albeit in Western Region guise.

I could have gone for my birth area and modelled the LTSR in BR steam days but everything would have been hauled by a 2-6-4T of some sort and had suburban coaches.

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 07:39:36 pm »
Bristol T.M. station is indeed a lovely building. I spent a lot of time there spotting as a lad, and spent many years in the now derelict Royal Mail sorting office right next to the station. On lates and nights in my early years unloaded/loaded countless TPOs as they were. The station has a warren of tunnels underneath it that with the platform lifts allowed barrows of mail sacks to be switched between platforms and TPOs. For example the Great West up which ran from Penzance to London, would have it's mail for Wales and the Midland's and beyond transferred respectively to the Welsh TPO and the Bristol to Newcastle TPO (the Midland TPO)  Monday to Friday from 23.30 to around 0130 the station would have around 80 postal staff busily engaged doing transfers of mail sacks. Happy days, but it didn't always seems so especially when howling with wind and rain!

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 08:10:02 pm »
I'm just mulling ideas over for the city terminus, Charlotte Street.  The original plan was a direct lift from Cyril Freezer's Minories plan made to fit a space of 5 feet by about 8 inches running exactly as CJF drew it.  Looking at the space available the first step is to invert it so that it runs in the opposite direction.  I would then envisage an additional section with either goods or loco facilities before a 90 degree curve into the storage sidings.  I need to plan this out and I want to avoid the curved platforms if I can and still have room for 5 or 6 coach trains.  Moving to a 12 inch width would provide either more scenic scope or carriage sidings too.

Funds are limited at present so this would be a slow project linked in with completing the scenic work on my canal wharf layout.

Further progress in the grand project needs careful thought and some serious domestic planning.

More to follow soon.

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 10:33:29 pm »
Sounds good.  I've always been a great fan of the Minories plan.  :thumbsup:

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 10:21:54 am »
Having looked at the space available, I have done an outline plan for the first stage of the project which is the Charlotte Street terminus station.  The main layout is set up on the top of some IKEA storage units with a 90 degree corner unit and a simple cassette system for a fiddle yard.  The aim is to make it in a modular form so that I can remove the station area only and use that with the cassette set up too.

I've just done a pencil drawing at this stage and have a detailed, full size plan of the station module in its original form (in the way Cyril Freezer initially drew it).  The final station will be a mirror image of that with either deeper scenery or carriage sidings behind the main station in a 4 inch section.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:23:54 am by Jeremy Edwards »

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 11:08:25 am »
Wonderful!

Please keep us updated!  :thumbsup:

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 08:53:09 am »
I have now got an interesting idea floating round in my head.  I popped to the club on Tuesday and apart from borrowing a book of plans (ubiquitous Cyril Freezer book) I picked up a couple of surplus Railway Modeller magazines in which i found a couple of articles about double deck layouts with a 'round the outside' spiral to get from one level to the other without steep gradients. 

Both plans were based on a round the garage walls plan which i cannot do as my garage is full of kit for my other hobby (cycling) and stuff like freezers, tumble driers etc.  However, as the planned railway room is likely to remain as a dressing room/office/children's craft equipment store, I was already looking at using the large dining table as a base for a modular layout.  I could certainly build a 9ft by 5 ft set up with the main weight on the table and perhaps a couple of legs.  This could also be set up on trestles or temporary legs for exhibition purposes.

Since there wouldn't be an operating well in the centre, I would consider putting the 'spiral' around the inside of the centre (I would retain a centre opening for emergency access) with the scenic parts accessible around the outside.  I intend to continue to develop the 'Canal Wharf' box file layout and try to improve the scenic work and also develop my plans for Charlotte Street which I may try to incorporate into this major scheme too.

I need also to consider how to store the layout when i need the table - I suspect a ladder framework to hold the boards when not in use is the answer and a storage space is also needed.  I would possibly put it into the garage as that is integral and in the centre of the semi so unlikely to get too hot or too cold.  Baseboards would also need to be small enough to transport in my car - I currently run a Ford S Max and can easily transport the box file layout in the back with one rear seat folded down.

I think finance is going to be a big constraint as I am retired but my state pension hasn't yet kicked in so funds are tight at present.  I would also add that cycling can be an expensive activity as I have just spent over 1000 on improving one of my five bikes (and I want to start collecting old bikes too).

Current plan is:

1.  Develop the box file layout - I have a signal to build, people to paint and I want to experiment with static grass.
2.  Build Charlotte Street to a standard with full operation, a station and basic scenery
3.  Start looking at the main project.

Watch this space.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 09:43:12 am »
All sounds very interesting.
Would you be able to fit some sort of pulley system whereby you could just hoist the layout up and out of the way? :hmmm:

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 11:59:03 am »
The arrangement in my lounge/dining area is not conducive to anything like that as there is an archway (which is low) right where the dining extension joins and where I might want to winch the layout.  I had a folding slot race track as a kid in the garage like that.  It hinged off a 1 foot wide shelf on the wall and was lifted ly a pulley system and old type washing line.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 09:06:46 pm »
No progress on planning as we have been building something else.  Not N Gauge, something like 00 and predates railways by some 1300+ years.  My daughter Charlotte's holiday homework to build a model of an Anglo Saxon hus or house in modern English.  We've been practising modelling skills and using imagination.  Back to school shortly so hopefully the Brizzle Project will re-start.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £70.00
Above Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
127% 
September Donations

Advertise Here