Farish new announcements 2016/17

Started by bluedepot, February 29, 2016, 08:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr PJ

Hello,
As far as I remember 37041 had black headcode panels and the cowlings into the mid-1980s, and was converted soon after into 37520 - so I imagine it will just be a re-number of 37038. Not that its beyond Farish getting it wrong. I have got to say it was my favourite 37 body-style - although by the 80s many had yellow headcodes and cowlings cut back, like the orrible oversize model of 049.
Cheers
Paul

Karhedron

My guess is that we will probably not return to the boom levels seen in the past for several reasons.

1. Market is still more subdued that it was 5-ish years ago when the recession had yet to bite into discretionary spending.
2. Much of the "low hanging fruit" has been done leaving the less common (and profitable) types.
3. Prices of individual items are significantly higher than they were 5 years ago meaning fewer units shifted, even if total spend remains the same.

Hopefully once Farish and Dapol have diminished their backlog we will see a new "steady state" of release announcements. However I don't know what sort of level this will be at (hopefully slightly higher than today's announcement).
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Dr Al

Quote from: ScottyStitch on March 01, 2016, 02:54:17 PM
Let's surmise that Farish take another year to consolidate, and all things being well, they have more or less caught up by say this time next year. Do you see a return to a "bonanza" of new announcements next March, or will they react more sensibly and only announce within their means?

It'll be interesting to see, but we've had a lot of new releases partly because of a lot of retooling. Now in the diesel market, a lot of the traditional big sellers have been done by one or other of the manufacturers which actually doesn't leave so much - classes 03,04,08,20,22,24,25,26,27,31,33,35,37,40,44,45,46,47,50,52,55,56,60,66,67,68,70,DP1 all been done or are coming, for instance - a list that (broadly) doesn't have many gaps in it as compared not so many years ago.

Steam is less so, but still a lot of the traditional big popular items are now out there too.

I suspect the rate of new releases will drop a bit, but even one new tooled item a year is as much or more than we used to get from Farish in the English production days, so everything is relative. I suspect though that reducing choice of new tool options (that are realistically economically viable - of course there are millions of choices, many obscure, but most would not break even) will reign in what we've perhaps got too used to in the last few years.

But who knows.....only time will tell!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

ScottyStitch

That certainly makes sense.

With Dapol, Farish and DJM (and of course 'our own' RevolutioN) in the market place, I'd be happy with one or two new models per year from each. So would my wallet. Couple that (ouch) with one or two new coach/wagon ranges, we could have a happy medium.

silly moo

I think my money will be safe for a while but I'm sure lots of people will be happy and it gives me time to save up again.

:NGaugersRule:

railsquid

Neither excited nor disappointed; the BR Blue class 20 looks nice if it's unweathered (needed to fill a gap in my BR blue collection, which is otherwise waiting on Dapol). And one can never have enough Mk1 coaches, or Mk2fs. The 319 is an interesting development, though such is my knowledge of EMUs I had to Google it - might make an interesting Rule 1 purchase to go with the RevolutioN 320/321. But I've already got more than enough projects to distract me for the foreseeable future (some which will involve Bob at BRlines and an airbrush), so we'll see.

Dorsetmike

Steam is less so, but still a lot of the traditional big popular items are now out there too.

Except SR pre WW2, 3UM locos, T9, 700, 0395, 2 Dapol M7, Terrier, 1 Farish N class, and a Schools to come (eventually one hopes) ZERO 4-6-0s No Lord Nelson, No King Arthur, No H15, No S15 No N15X none of the ex SECR 4-4-0s nor their rebuilds, No heavy goods tanks, G16, H16, W and Z classes only the T9 out of 7 Drummond 4-4-0 classes, only the Terrier out of the many Brighton tanks.

I don't count Bullieds locos as they didn't appear until WW2 and after. My interest is SR mid 1930s, impossible to model realistically without kits, hacks and scratch builds

Almost a classic Catch 22 situation "nobody models the SR cos nobody makes any SR stock / nobody makes SR stock cos nobody models SR"
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Buzzard

Quote from: StufromEGDL on March 01, 2016, 02:25:03 PM
Steve P of Bachmann confirms that 57306 is Dellner fitted...
:thankyousign:
Good news then.  I was looking at the product number and as it suffixed with an A I worked back to the original model, think it was Scott Tracy, and assumed non-Dellner.

Adam1701D

Class 319 is an exceptionally good choice with widespread use on lines north and south of London, along with more recent deployments with Northern and London Midland.

Farish have sensibly chosen the three most popular liveries with NSE, Thameslink (which version?) and Northern. This still leaves a plethora of other liveries to consider, such as Connex, Southern, First Capital Connect, Other Thameslink versions and London Midland.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

talisman56

Well my wallet has breathed a huge sigh of relief - nothing to tempt me in that huge list of reissues, reliveries and tweaks to existing models, the only things that are entirely new are the 319 (about 20 years outwith my era) and the whole raft of Scenecraft.

Good to see the 4MT std Tank and SR 4-wheel vans in production, but the Birdcage coaches don't seem to have moved since last year - they're not even in the Drawing Office yet...

I might be tempted by the reissued GUV and RMB (different numbers to those I already have, and in the case of the GUV, a duplicate may be ousted).

I am puzzled by the 3x pack of SR 12T vans in the 'Express Dairies Eggs' livery - unless I am mistaken eggs were transhipped in Shock vans, less likely to get omlettes at the other end... But then again, looks like there was a prototype:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51oVLD2ap7L._SX425_.jpg

Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

ScottyStitch

Quote from: talisman56 on March 01, 2016, 04:56:36 PM

I am puzzled by the 3x pack of SR 12T vans in the 'Express Dairies Eggs' livery - unless I am mistaken eggs were transhipped in Shock vans, less likely to get omlettes at the other end... But then again, looks like there was a prototype:

I was surprised by them as well and came upon the same picture. They look interesting, but unlikely to have been shipped all the way to central/north-east Scotland...........so I must resist.

talisman56

Quote from: railsquid on March 01, 2016, 03:35:17 PM
But I've already got more than enough projects to distract me for the foreseeable future (some which will involve Bob at BRlines and an airbrush), so we'll see.

What livery are you going to paint him?  :)
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

gc4946

I welcome the 319 - most certainly remember them when they first appeared on BR, whether I actually buy any is another point.

Also pleased that Shillingstone station will be reproduced in the smaller scale.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

gc4946

Must also add I'm pleased they've announced Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 46443 - preserved on the Severn Valley, and based at Saltley at the time when I was born.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Claude Dreyfus

To echo my comments on RMweb, I think the 319 is a really important statement. We hear much about model EMUs not being viable in any scale, yet here we are with the 319 being announced. This is a functional and somewhat unloved prototype, so Farish are not playing to the nostalgia market with this model.

Could the investigations and polls from Revolution have convinced Farish that a modern EMU is worth pursuing still? Indeed, could it be that there has been sufficient interest to get a Pendolino and the 320/321 off the ground in N gauge, that has lead to the 319 being announced?

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations