The Flying Banana

Started by Malc-c, February 06, 2018, 10:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malc-c

I managed to capture Network Rails HST track management train last night, commonly known as the flying banana due to its yellow livery.  I'm sure it would make for an interesting model on a modern day layout

Malcolm

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Visit my Shapeway Shop here -  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dmr-designs

BobB

When the HST's first came out, we called them flying bananas because they had so much yellow at each end.

njee20

Surely no more, indeed significantly less, than any FYP loco? ???

It's a shame Dapol never did matching Mk3s to go with the NR power cars, even a TGS and an RFB or something, which is a reasonable approximation for a few of the coaches.

joe cassidy

Reminds me of the TGV in French Post Office livery.

Best regards,

Joe

railsquid

Quote from: Lindi on February 06, 2018, 01:03:36 PM
Quote from: njee20 on February 06, 2018, 11:15:45 AM
Surely no more, indeed significantly less, than any FYP loco? ???

They were certainly referred to as 'flying bananas' when first introduced in 1975. Probably more to do with the warning yellow stretching along most of the side of the power car and then curved down slightly at the front.

Yup, I certainly remember that epithet from the early 1980s.

The name was apparently earlier bestowed on the GWR railcars.

njee20

I was forgetting that the yellow extended along the bodyside, all before my time, I just remember IC Swallow :)

davidinyork

The NMT gets about a lot, especially on the principal mainlines.

The coaches are all so non-standard that it would be a bespoke job to do them with anything like accuracy. They are all heavily customised, and include two from the prototype HST.

Bealman

Yes, the GWR railcars were known as flying bananas, and they weren't even yellow!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Quote from: davidinyork on February 06, 2018, 08:46:00 PM
The NMT gets about a lot, especially on the principal mainlines.

The coaches are all so non-standard that it would be a bespoke job to do them with anything like accuracy. They are all heavily customised, and include two from the prototype HST.

Mmm, last time I looked in detail the pantograph coach is just a TGS with a pantograph fitted and some roof mounted equipment, the conference coach is just a TS/TF with a couple of windows blanked. The track recording coach is just a TGS, it's only the staff coach and generator coach which really deviate from production. Admittedly they've not got toilet windows either.

Obviously internally they're hugely modified, and have all the recording equipment, but externally they're not far off. You could do a pack of coaches that would be a pretty good match, and I suspect they'd sell, judging by how well converted Farish ones have sold whenever I've done them. 

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on February 06, 2018, 10:01:38 PM
Mmm, last time I looked in detail the pantograph coach is just a TGS with a pantograph fitted and some roof mounted equipment, the conference coach is just a TS/TF with a couple of windows blanked. The track recording coach is just a TGS, it's only the staff coach and generator coach which really deviate from production. Admittedly they've not got toilet windows either.

Is the pantograph well and its equipment not a pretty significant modification from a standard TGS, then?!

If you look at them closely there are plenty of subtle variations in all of them - bits on the roof, extra wiring, various windows blanked, etc. Depends on how accurate you want it to be I suppose.

njee20

It would need a new roof moulding, yes, which may not be viable for one variation. The body wouldn't need changing. It would have a superfluous toilet window I admit. But then all the RFBs are a compromise.

Like I say, you could get close with minor mods to most of the coaches, and I reckon if someone did a book set with 4 or 5 painted to match the powercars they'd sell like hot cakes. I'll wager most don't know the permutations anyway.

Yes, they've got loads of extra cables between the coaches, and extra end detail, and high power spotlights and so on, but we don't get any of that detail anyway, so it's a bit moot.

Vonzack

I wonder if there would be enough people interested to crowdfund a livery run from Dapol. OK so the actual coaches may not be accurate, but if the set could be as close as you can get with the current mouldings, it might be enough for most people and a good base to work from for further detailed conversion.

How about a 5 car set made up of 2 x TGS, 2 x RFB and a TS?

njee20

Yes, that was exactly my thought. It wouldn't be perfect, obviously, but it would be a reasonable approximation, if you wanted to fill a couple of windows it would be a better starting point. The power cars seem to command an oddly high price, as do any converted coaches, which suggests there's a demand. Farish mk3s with vinyls are barely any more accurate than a 'stock' set of coaches.

I really must finish spraying mine!

zwilnik

Even if not accurate, it would be a good set for those that want an accurate model to start from.

Railwaygun

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34