Hotel Booking Websites

Started by PLD, February 03, 2018, 11:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLD

Does anyone else use these sites? Sometimes, I just don't get the results thrown out... for just £150 extra per day you can book the same room at the same hotel with "A Good Breakfast Included". Or if you book Room-only, you can buy breakfast on the day for £7.50   :hmmm:

Gary Burcombe

I use skyscanner and booking.com.  I used skyscanner to go to Athens last November for flights, airport transfers and hotel.  Referred onto booking.com site for hotel.  For £2 extra i could have breakfast included on the room only price for four nights for two people.  I don't mean £2 per person per night extra, I mean just £2 extra for the booking!  Saved over £100 on the exact same hotel, flights and transfer if I'd booked through our local travel agent.

Bealman

I use Wotif and Booking.com heaps. I have a trip to Japan coming up in May to visit Bealette and hopefully call in on Railsquid in the process, so I'm pretty much involved in getting that organised at the moment. I'm thinking about trying a new site called JTB travel, as suggested by my son-in-law, but of course there's many sites out there such as Trivago, Expedia.... confusing, really!  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MJKERR

Quote from: PLD on February 03, 2018, 11:42:08 PM
I just don't get the results thrown out
Results are based on how far in advance the bookings are loaded, any offers the hotel makes, and any promotional contracts

Budget deals are usually limited to one or two rooms, with optional extras at cost
Closer to the date of booking the promotional deal may expire, returning the room to full price
In the final few days if there are still rooms available the hotel may reload a new promotional deal

Another factor is a nearby chain / brand hotel, offering a deal
Hotel comparison websites are useful for checking this

Finally, the hotels own website may be cheaper
I have had this happen a few times, so booked direct instead

Bealman

Yes, it is often better to book direct. However, when heading to climes unknown, sites like these are helpful in finding somewhere.

PLD

Quote from: MJKERR on February 04, 2018, 07:11:05 AM
Quote from: PLD on February 03, 2018, 11:42:08 PM
I just don't get the results thrown out
Results are based on how far in advance the bookings are loaded, any offers the hotel makes, and any promotional contracts

Budget deals are usually limited to one or two rooms, with optional extras at cost
Closer to the date of booking the promotional deal may expire, returning the room to full price
In the final few days if there are still rooms available the hotel may reload a new promotional deal
Appreciate that, but this is the SAME website at the SAME time offering the SAME room at the SAME hotel for the SAME dates for 8 times more if you book it with breakfast included instead of separate!

Bealman

joe cassidy

Caz

We went away to Sevilla last weekend for 3 days, searched on the various booking sites but ended up booking direct with our choice and saved more than 10% on the cheapest booking site offering.   :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

port perran

We use hotels quite a lot. We always spend a fair bit of time narrowing the search down to say three hotels that we really like then go through all the websites for the best deal. Often it is boking direct with the hotel.
Booking direct also gives you the chance to negotiate the best room (eg size, view, bath etc) which you don't always get with booking sites.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

njee20

£20 a night, for a place that can charge £170 a night just looks like an error in their pricing algorithm. 

fisherman

use  the  web sites to  find  the hotel you  want...then  check
the chosen   hotel  website  to  see  what deal  you   can   put together.

A web  site  called  travel  Zoo offers some  superb  low  cost  deals.

well worth   checking out  and  joining!
<o({{{<<

MJKERR

Quote from: PLD on February 04, 2018, 08:00:29 AM
Appreciate that, but this is the SAME website at the SAME time offering the SAME room at the SAME hotel for the SAME dates for 8 times more if you book it with breakfast included instead of separate!
It looks like you have misunderstood how the promotions work

For example :
Offer One valid for 10 days, £40 (breakfast costs extra)
Offer Two valid for 30 days, £306 (breakfast included)
Offer Three valid for 30 days, £340 (breakfast included)

Yes, it does look silly that the same room is cheaper with the same options
However this suggests that one room is at the £40 price point, the rest are at the others
So if someone is booking all six rooms, they will be presented with a notice that no more rooms are available or advised of the full price to be paid

PLD

Quote from: njee20 on February 04, 2018, 10:08:35 AM
£20 a night, for a place that can charge £170 a night just looks like an error in their pricing algorithm.
In this case, the hotels own website quotes a 'standard' rate of £59 for the room (which having stayed there before is a fair price) or has an offer of £99 for two nights including Breakfasts so both the prices on the booking site are wildly out in opposite directions!!

Quote from: joe cassidy on February 04, 2018, 09:01:15 AM
Have breakfast in the pub  :D
Yep - I've booked the room only at £40, and there is a Wetherspoon's five minutes walk...  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations