!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Z Gauge - my other super expensive hobby....  (Read 5253 times)

Offline Ian Bowden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
Re: Z Gauge - my other super expensive hobby....
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 12:18:41 pm »
I have wanted a crocodile for a while saw one new on eBay so had to get some track for it. Only problem is I don't want it to be  lonely so I will have to get it a few friends. My main interest is transition in  n gauge but a portable suitcase layout is interesting.

Offline broadsword

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 12:42:49 pm »
I  like Z gauge, the Marklin stuff is expensive  but I like
the briefcase layouts, some people think Z is a bit of a gimmick, but it's
been going for quite a few years. I like the Krok locos, there was an
Arnold N gauge one for sale on Ebay  a while back , about £100.
I think the Kroks were used mainly for freight, but may be wrong.

Offline nobby

• N Gauge Society Number: 21612
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2017, 01:40:48 pm »
i have a very large collection of z gauge almost as much as n gauge and reading through the posts i can agree with pretty much everything thats been said, i got into it by wanting to try something different and the fact that waiting for n gauge stuff i had on order meant i was closer to drawing a pension that getting them, i have built a large z gauge layout which has been to shows and is booked for more going forward, it was built in such a way that i used a lot of n gauge scenics an dbits , so much so that most think at the shows the layout is n gauge until its pointed out which is nice , lucky for me i got most of the z second hand for very good prices or cheap from ebay.de , i very much doubt i could get all the stuff i have got if i was starting today , still i have my n gauge aswell and have new layouts in planing for z and n going forward.

Offline nobby

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2017, 01:46:33 pm »
forgot to say 1 loco thats missing in z gauge and could start some interesting possibilities would be a gm class 66 as these are all over Europe and could be the basis of a start of British z gauge revival as wagons are not a problem, you never know.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2017, 03:41:46 pm »
A 66 in Z could be challenging just due to the loading gauge, they are somewhat smaller in stature than most European locos.  Would be interesting to see one though.

I run a little  bit of Z, got started with one of the little battery operated set that was 40 Euros from a Conrad stand in Stuttgart in 2003. I think all of my operating team bought one (we were out there with my N layout).

I try to limit the Z to german steam or early diesel, simply because my N is mostly modern german so don't want to clash.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline nobby

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 08:23:55 am »
interesting point about the gm class 66 and i did think of that , however noch of germany commissioned rokuhan of japan to produce the db class 181 loco as this is also smaller in size and the marklin motors didnt fit but the rokuhan motors are smaller and would fit the chassis , i have a couple of them and very nice they are too with add detail ,so noch could next time around if looking for a diesel loco could go with this , and it would cover a lot of different countries, abet with slight variances in tooling , even so much as delivery trains in the usa , i mean think of the amount of liveries available if you add them up you have to be looking at over a 50 a least in 6+ different countries ,if i were noch and was looking this would be top of the list for z gauge

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2017, 08:48:16 am »
Yeah good point about the 181, I run two of three of those in N.

I've seen a few bits of Rokuhan they seem very nice.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here