!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Atlas Vs Kato  (Read 4391 times)

Offline trevboy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Atlas Vs Kato
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:16:48 am »
Are there any major differences in quality and performance between Atlas and Kato locos

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
Re: Atlas Vs Kato
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:20:16 pm »
For ready to run stuff, personally, I don't think you can beat Kato, but there is not a great deal to choose between them.  I have pretty much got rid of all my American Life Like stuff and am trying to move to Atlas (or Kato if I can afford it) and all my Japanese stuff is either Tomix or Kato.
The only thing I would say is that if you are buying older models, the Kato stuff from 10 years ago is better than the Atlas of that vintage by a fair margin.  But if money is no object then it has to be Kato all the way  ;D

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 01:14:24 pm »
I agree with Lawrence both are good but Kato  everytime for  me if i have to choose the older Kato  are still  better than  some made today.

Yet to find a bad Kato  locos in either scale.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 01:18:56 pm »

Yet to find a bad Kato  locos in either scale.

Suggest you look harder, Upnick :evil: We UK outline folks don't have to look too hard :'(

Offline Peak 45077

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22868
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 03:51:19 pm »
For me it has to be Kato.  Some of the Atlas locos just dont run well, well unless you put ear plugs in but I have never had an issue with Kato. The standard of finish and mechanics make them second to none.
Regards
Daryl

Offline Zunnan

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17178
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 05:34:14 pm »
I wouldn't be put off by either of these two if I were after a particular locomotive.

I think some of the livery application and dimensions of certain Kato locomotives are sometimes questionable (Santa Fe blue/yellow in particular and the overwidth SD40/SD45 etc) and those couplers are the first thing that gets binned in favour of MT equipment, but that mechanism they put under them is simply sublime...if a little on the lightning side when the throttle is opened up, freight locomotives aren't supposed to do 150mph! On the other hand I find that the current Atlas livery application is generally very well done on the more complex subjects and that more often than not the running is only a step or two behind Kato. As I tend to import them myself I try to avoid second hand as much as possible, so I can't comment on the older models.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 08:38:55 pm »
They both stand tall on the quality stakes, don't forget that Kato used to make some locomotive models for Atlas.

Still my favorite brand of steam locos is MicroAce.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 11:17:25 pm »
I would fall in line with Kato first, I do buy Atlas second hand as they tend to be cheaper than Kato  :thumbsup:

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 01:36:57 am »
I would fall in line with Kato first, I do buy Atlas second hand as they tend to be cheaper than Kato  :thumbsup:

I agree John by & large  Atlas do work out to be more economical   although i've had some good Kato  buys  from  ebay.

Offline 4x2

• Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 08:48:39 pm »
Having both makes of loco, I don't think that there is much between them. I have recently had just the one Kato failure ( :o :o :o), but it was easily fixed with a bit of super glue, so no harm done ! The newest Lifelike/proto stuff is also very good, but adding DCC can be a challenge...

I do think that Atlas has the better range and slightly better detailing, but it really is hard to choose a winner.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:00:54 pm by 4x2 »
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Offline johnsom

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 07:32:54 pm »
Have no experience of Atlas but I have 8 Kato Loco's - 6 diesel and two steamers and they all run beautifully. The Mikado 2-8-0 is a stunning runner. I must confess I started American profile after having so many bad and frustrating experiences with British outline loco's. I understand that Atlas Master loco's are on a par with Kato for quality and performance - Atlas also have a lot more "road names" to choose from.

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 03:50:38 am »
I know we are discussing Atlas v Kato here but I would like to mention that to me Life Like N scale locos are a close contender.

I have several Kato and Atlas locos but none of them run as quiet and smoothly as my 2 Life Like E8s and FM Eire Built A & B units.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 06:38:57 am »
I have no experience of Atlas either but have bought second hand Kato off eBay and have not had any issues so far (don't want to tempt fate). Particularly like the coupling mechanisms on their bullet trains.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline 1936ace

• N Gauge Society Number: 22564
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 07:09:56 am »
KATO

And they are going cheap at Signal Box Model railways

Offline johnsom

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 11:13:01 am »
Traintrax are also good for very reasonably priced American Kato.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
October Donations

Advertise Here