What did you buy at tings?

Started by bluedepot, September 10, 2018, 04:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

An Izettle card reader (there are others) is £29, plus 1.75% transaction fees. I was in the stand for maybe 90 seconds (as I'd decided what I wanted and just wanted to get them), and three people walked away because he didn't accept cards, me included.

I would have spent c£100 on boxes, which would probably have covered the cost of the machine for the day.

Obviously it's his prerogative, but these days it's so ridiculously easy to accept card payments it's mad not to. One of the people who does weathering is the same too, and that really is stupid - average item price is £120+, and cash or cheque only! It's a miracle he sells anything!

In fact, his main selling point is through eBay, using PayPal, who charge 3.4% + 20p per transaction, whilst an Izettle is 2.5% for E-commerce, so he's giving away more in PayPal fees on normal sales than he would spend on accepting cards at exhibitions, and that assumes no additional uplift in sales.

geoffc

I went with a big list but found little I wanted. Bought the following:

1 pack Dapol MJA Freightliner
1 pack Dapol MJA GBRF
from Cheltenham Model Supplies for £55

1 FGW and 1 GWR SLEP overlays from Adam.

Picked up my 2 IVAs from Revolution.

Nothing else there that I wanted on my list.

Geofff

Jerry Howlett

Despite my incredible dissapointment at failing to acquire anything to EAT at TINGS I have discovered that I did bring back somethinf after all.

My MOJO  :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:
Actually started working on the layout after a few months of inactivity.

Bargain wise a still wrapped Farish Midland Brake van £8, my minder @Hailstone being of superior altitude discovered that, and a boxed Fruit D £8 above the scrums around anoracks anon. I had earlier baulked at paying £13 on the Dapol stand. All in all it was worth the return trip from Pisa. Beaten in distance by far by @Mustermark .

Hope to make it next year but will eat earlier!

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations