dmu stabling sidings

Started by bluedepot, September 07, 2018, 02:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

hi everyone

has anyone modelled dmu stabling? I don't mean a depot, just some stabling sidings, maybe a signing on point, water, possibly fuel, waste removal, maybe those access platforms for staff and cleaners etc?

can anyone suggest any locations or link to any pictures online of such facilities in the 80s or 90s?

cheers

Tim

PaulCheffus

Quote from: bluedepot on September 07, 2018, 02:13:45 PM
hi everyone

has anyone modelled dmu stabling? I don't mean a depot, just some stabling sidings, maybe a signing on point, water, possibly fuel, waste removal, maybe those access platforms for staff and cleaners etc?

can anyone suggest any locations or link to any pictures online of such facilities in the 80s or 90s?

cheers

Tim

Hi

The depot at Buxton had DMU sidings at the side of the main building and there have been a couple of articles plus at least one layout in the modelling press. Unfortunately I can't remember which magazines or issues.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

bluedepot

cheers paul!

yes i remember seeing a buxton layout in a railway magazine... i'll google it though...

i'm struggling for inspiration / to develop a concrete plan for a new layout at the minute...

i just watched some british rail 1980s videos, very enjoyable but still not really sure...  hopefully looking at tings at the weekends  will help too...

tim

Intercity

Stockport had some sidings on the Manchester end, usually found EMUs in there (323s, 304s, 308s over the years), but I think they also put DMUs in there at times (probably 150s, 156s and 101s, maybe a 142 if you were unlucky)

Buzzard

Quote from: bluedepot on September 07, 2018, 03:42:50 PMyes i remember seeing a buxton layout in a railway magazine

Try one or all of these

Railway Modeller April 1986 - OO gauge
Railway Modeller March 1989 - ??
ModelRail February 2003 - N gauge
Railway Modeller November 2011 - OO gauge

crewearpley40

google bletchley carriage sidings, photos click that link to give a few ideas

jamespetts

There were quite a few in Oxford, although most of these were mixed in with stabling facilities for locomotive hauled trains and were directly alongside the main line.
Peertube > Youtube

Intercity

Peterborough had and probably still does have MU sidings, not sure if they were set up to handle DMUs, but I know they stored 317s and 365s in there.

North of the border was Yoker Depot, it had plenty of storage tracks again set up for AC traction, technically being a Depot it's not what you were looking for but may give some inspiration (it had raised walkways between the tracks which many people like to have in sidings).

Sorry I can't be of more help for specific DMU sidings but I was a sparky (AC power for me)

bluedepot

well i've looked around at a lot of pictures....

it seems like they are always near to a station, for obvious reasons i suppose...

quite a lot had low height and narrow concrete or wooden platforms.

some cables/pipes are visible in a lot of the pictures, presumably power / fuel / water supply and waste removal.  i'm not sure how many had actual fueling points, i suppose that fits into stabling points though.

it seems a lot were just former carriage sidings.

they would be quite easy to model, and a good excuse to have your dmu collection on display... and to buy all the future releases (117, 105, 142 etc.)...  they aren't that exciting though as infrastructure goes.  if modelling a medium size or a terminus station maybe it would be a good feature to add though.

anyway probably not for me this time as i'm not planning a station.

i've been looking at pictures of engineers sidings, tip sidings for waste ballast/spoil, rail served coal yards. other freight yards and rail served industries.... still no idea what to do...!!!

cheers for all the replies

tim

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations