spellings on EBAY

Started by Highland Handlebar, April 26, 2018, 09:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NinOz

Quote from: daffy on November 18, 2018, 10:52:42 PM
On my iPad the Apple News app has too prime culprits in this regard:
In keeping with the spirit of the thread: "two prime culprits", perhaps.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

MalcolmInN

I know that there are many prime numbers
but is not a prime suspect unique ie. not plural ?

NinOz

Prime doesn't necessarily mean a singular ultimate occurrence as it can denote a grade, class, example, group, etc.
Consider "a prime example of ....".  Not the definite article "the" but part of the group of examples.  "The prime example" is, of course, unique.
So "two prime examples" would be two of the unspecified number of the group of the leading examples of culprits.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Trainfish

Quote from: javlinfaw7 on November 18, 2018, 10:13:55 PM
Most obvious example of capital letters changing meaning.
Polish- nationality
polish- beeswax preparation

I have to put my hands up here. A few years ago I was walking along a road in Portsmouth and saw across the road what was called and written as "THE POLISH SHOP". I was wondering for ages how a shop could survive these days just selling polish. When I walked back the other way it suddenly clicked and I called myself all sorts of names when I realised that it was in fact a Polish shop. Anyone walking past me must have thought I was mad as I couldn't help but chuckle to myself as I walked  :doh:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

njee20

Words that change meaning (not necessarily pronunciation eg China/china) when capitalised are called capitonyms. Fun fact. Polish/polish and Reading/reading are the ones that spring to mind!

daffy

Capital!

Sometimes I think some folks overthink.

Other times I think molly-coddling has reached the silly level.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/19/capitalised-words-should-not-used-university-staff-setting-assignments/

Most times I just laugh.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

Quote from: NinOz on November 19, 2018, 04:02:35 AM
Prime doesn't necessarily mean a singular ultimate occurrence as it can denote a grade, class, example, group, etc.
Consider "a prime example of ....".  Not the definite article "the" but part of the group of examples.  "The prime example" is, of course, unique.
So "two prime examples" would be two of the unspecified number of the group of the leading examples of culprits.

Don't forget a person e.g. a culprit could be primed - as in coached to do/say something.

dannyboy

And you could always prime a pump. To be honest, I think this subject is now past its prime.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

ODRAILS

I suggest that the N Gauge Forum may be calling the proverbial kettle black...
In the current thread about the Hattons N gauge Beyer Garratt announcement I noticed the following (mis-) spellings:
Bayer Garet
Beyer Garrett
Garrat
Garrett
Garratt and Garrett (twice) in the same post.

"Let him who is without..." etc.

The Q

Quote from: ODRAILS on November 21, 2018, 05:12:11 PM
I suggest that the N Gauge Forum may be calling the proverbial kettle black...
In the current thread about the Hattons N gauge Beyer Garratt announcement I noticed the following (mis-) spellings:
Bayer Garet
Beyer Garrett
Garrat
Garrett
Garratt and Garrett (twice) in the same post.

"Let him who is without..." etc.
I'll bet u ave chequed that abut 10X befour posting, gust to mak shure the fingas did wat the ead said.

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

njee20

I'm amused that the Q had to edit that post, like there was a mistake in it...!

The Q

That would, my dear Chap, be because I found it Very difficult, to write that badly. :D

njee20

Chap? Very? Why the random Capitals? ;)

I always proof read replies about ten times when it's a grammar related thread!  :-[

MalcolmInN

and on the ninth reading he substituted "like" for "as though" ?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations