USA Tank from Shapeways

Started by Stuart Down Under, March 30, 2018, 11:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Down Under

Has anyone bought the Shapeways USA Tank body by Ivan Industries? Any idea what chassis might fit? It looks a challenge, because the USA's 0-6-0 wheelbase is only 10ft - 20mm, with external valve gear, and 4'-6" drivers. In scale, the wheels would be only 1mm apart! Perhaps one of our continental modelling friends may have a suggestion, because I can't find a UK model that would work.
:helpneededsign:

thebrighton

When Chivers Finelines made a white metal kit for this the recommended chassis was a BR80 available from Roco or Fleishmann.

Bob G

Hi Stuart

I have not tried the 3D print - i think it may be an upscale from Z gauge, or a downscale from OO.

My USA is the Chivers Finelines whitemetal kit - generally unavailable - with a ROCO BR80 chassis. I have not progressed from the fitting trials I did, which led me source a brass chimney from NBrass.

HTH

Bob

thebrighton

I managed to finish my Chivers USA Tank. It really was a nice kit, pity it's not around any more.

Dr Al

Quote from: thebrighton on March 30, 2018, 05:17:04 PM
I managed to finish my Chivers USA Tank. It really was a nice kit, pity it's not around any more.

Exquisite modelling.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Stuart Down Under

Thanks guys! Off to look for a Roco BR80 before I buy the body. A quick check suggests the current price makes a Dapol School look cheap. We shall see what the second hand market can offer.

Thebrighton has set a pretty high standard!
:thankyousign:

Bealman

@thebrighton that's a lovely model. You did a great job!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob G

Quote from: Stuart Down Under on March 31, 2018, 12:57:25 AM
Thanks guys! Off to look for a Roco BR80 before I buy the body. A quick check suggests the current price makes a Dapol School look cheap. We shall see what the second hand market can offer.

Thebrighton has set a pretty high standard!
:thankyousign:
My Roco chassis was secondhand on EBay from a German seller and was absolutely fine.
The Fleischmann BR80 is generally more expensive.
My only concern is how much space there is inside the FUD body, because is awful stuff to work with if you have to make space for the chassis.
Bob

Stuart Down Under

Thanks, Bob!  Your photos do make the chassis look rather larger than the body!

Bob G

Ah - that is the joy of close up photography and perspective.
It is a mighty close fit though, but mostly around the cab/motor.

Bob

ntpntpntp

Did the creator of the Shapeways bodyshell not give an idea of which chassis it was designed around? 
Arnold, Minitrix, Fleischmann and Roco have had an 0-6-0 tank of the BR80 or 89 type in their range over the years.

From my experience, the Fleischmann chassis is a little better than the Roco though the latter isn't bad. You may find more 2nd hand Fleischmann examples around than Roco. 
I don't have an Arnold or Minitrix example to compare, but from what I've seen the Minitrix does at least appear to have geared drive to all axles unlike their T3 which is only driven on the rear axle.

These little guys definitely benefit from the weight of a metal bodyshell, eg. the Roco model. I would think the Chivers white metal kit was an advantage, so will a 3D print be heavy enough? Presumably you can pack the side tanks with lead or something?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bornin1980something

Quote from: thebrighton on March 30, 2018, 05:17:04 PM

Sorry to bump the thread, but how did finish the smokebox? You see, I found what appears to be Chivers kit, now branded Thamsed Transport Kits and sold  by BY Enterprises, at the AGM. It's smokebox is lacking in accurate detail.

Bob G

I just get lots of photos of the specific one I want to model and add fine wire and paper clip wire as required.
HTH
Bob

thebrighton

Quote from: Bornin1980something on August 01, 2018, 05:43:37 PM
Sorry to bump the thread, but how did finish the smokebox? You see, I found what appears to be Chivers kit, now branded Thamsed Transport Kits and sold  by BY Enterprises, at the AGM. It's smokebox is lacking in accurate detail.

That's testing the old grey matter as I built it years ago. Thought I'd better go and have a look rather than trust the memory. Normal 0.3mm handrail wire and handrail knobs either from NGS shop or NBrass.

Bob Tidbury

If any one is interested  B H Enterprises now own the master for the
Chivers U S A tank loco and its proving to be a pretty good seller unfortunately we DONT SELL THE CHASSIS so it's down to the customer to buy from EBay or other source .we have three in stock at the moment and they will be available at THE WAVENEY VALLEY CLUB SHOW AT SOUTHWOLD THIS WEEKEND .But we can get more cast quite quickly if needed .
I hope I'm fit enough to be there after my operation on Monday morning this week , it's looking good at the moment ,fingers crossed things don't change .
Bob Tidbury

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations