Can anyone beat these Private Owner wagons?

Started by Newportnobby, March 08, 2018, 02:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Seen on a layout (Belmont Shed) at a show last year, surely this is the set to have........

emjaybee

:laughabovepost:

More to the point...

...where can I get a set?

Happy days.

:tv:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

emjaybee

Although thinking about it, I reckon they would probably have been pre-grouping rather than BR.

;D
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

EtchedPixels

Ah yes the old 'how many firemen question'

(and if you said six you are wrong....)

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

GroupC

I once saw an exhibition layout (OO I think, sorry) with a train of shipping containers with the names, in sequence, "Ying Tong Ying Tong Ying Tong Ying Tong Ying Tong Iddle I Po". Makes a nice change from Yang Ming, Maersk, MSC et al.

Generally I have little time for (un)amusing punning names on layouts' shopfronts and the like, but I think this Goon Show one and the OP's Trumpton Fire Brigade (surely now the Trumpton Fire and Rescue Service) ones are excellent. Thanks for posting!

themadhippy

Quotethe old 'how many firemen question'
This episode has the answer
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

kirky

So finally it is resolved...its Pugh, Pugh /Not/ Hugh Pugh.

Thank goodness for that. A family argument thats been going for forty odd years.

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

mattycoops43

So the answer is seven then! The one calling out the names is also a fireman (firefighter apparently)

Malc

Quote from: mattycoops43 on March 08, 2018, 11:05:47 PM
So the answer is seven then! The one calling out the names is also a fireman (firefighter apparently)
Captain Flack.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

LeftToMyOwnDevices

Quote from: newportnobby on March 08, 2018, 02:52:16 PM
Seen on a layout (Belmont Shed) at a show last year, surely this is the set to have........

Yes, I do remember someone posting this a year ago.
It really made me smile...! :D
...and made me think how I might get a set of transfers made up...!

Quote from: GroupC on March 08, 2018, 04:26:44 PM
I once saw an exhibition layout (OO I think, sorry) with a train of shipping containers with the names, in sequence, "Ying Tong Ying Tong Ying Tong Ying Tong Ying Tong Iddle I Po". Makes a nice change from Yang Ming, Maersk, MSC et al.

Generally I have little time for (un)amusing punning names on layouts' shopfronts and the like, but I think this Goon Show one and the OP's Trumpton Fire Brigade (surely now the Trumpton Fire and Rescue Service) ones are excellent. Thanks for posting!
Now that has given me an idea as to what to with a load of (smooth-sided) plain white 20ft containers that someone at my MRC gave me a while ago...! :laugh:
I could even stick them on my KFAs when they arrive... :goggleeyes:

There was also someone who had done this:
Quote from: cjdodd on July 31, 2016, 11:45:40 AM
I've just built a whole load of these, 5 plank wagons, brake vans and some tankers, they are very easy to assemble, as long as you don't over tighten the nuts, if you are worried about snapping the lug, just put a drop of glue on them instead of the nut. Also paint them up before you assemble them.

...and the Irn-Bru tank made me laugh so much... :laughabovepost:
...that I promptly went out and bought 20 (yes, twenty) Peco Tank Wagon kits - of the type you see in the photo. They will be hauled by my Class 60 Charles Babbage in RfD Petroleum sector livery... :smiley-laughing:

The Peco tanks have (and still are) making for a wonderful test for my recently purchased Airbrush. I intend to spray them orange (I've already got a coat or two of orange on them, so far) and then use PVA to stick the logos on.

When I PM'd the OP, he said that he'd simply Googled the logo - so I promptly did the same and have printed out an A4 sheet with plenty of the logos, suitably sized...

I do really like these little witticisms.
There's a time to be deadly serious - and a time to have a bit of fun with our hobby... it is supposed to be something we for fun, isn't it...? :hmmm:

Charles.
"Underground, Overground: Our friends Electric"

The Q

As much as I like the wagon and hate the drink. It is technically incorrect.

Strachans Brew was sold from around 1892, very shortly after it changed it's name to IRON- BREW.
This however became a generic name much like calling a vacuum cleaner a hoover.

So after WW2 when the drink was then permitted to be sold again, it was decided in 1946 but not impemented until 1947 that the Name was to become, IRN-BRU, which could be trademarked.
This also coincided with the trading standards as it's not brewed. Much later they Also had to drop the claim that is made from girders as it's Not made from them either, just 0.002% Ammonium ferric citrate (and a lot of other stuff.)

So sadly the model is incorrect as it's after private owner wagons, using a post WW2 name..

and to the words above I say,

Rule Zero... it's time for a coffee,
Rule one.....it's your railway, run what you want...

woodbury22uk

Quote from: The Q on March 09, 2018, 08:48:15 AM
As much as I like the wagon and hate the drink. It is technically incorrect.

So sadly the model is incorrect as it's after private owner wagons, using a post WW2 name..

Except that the tank wagon is a 1960/70s version, and there were (and still are) plenty of examples of private owner tank cars with a company logo on them; admittedly fewer in the UK now where corporate PR departments are nervous of seeing their brand name on the six o'clock news when a minor mishap gets caught by the news helicopter crew. Though it does not seem to worry HGV operators whose drivers try to squeeze a 4.2 metre truck under a 4.0m railway bridge. Hmm.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

The Q

The GW Toad tends to give the image a somewhat older date.. Must be a modern wagon escaped onto a railway preservation site... :D

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: The Q on March 09, 2018, 09:22:47 AM
The GW Toad tends to give the image a somewhat older date.. Must be a modern wagon escaped onto a railway preservation site... :D
Its not a Toad either....    :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

The Q

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on March 09, 2018, 12:11:55 PM
Quote from: The Q on March 09, 2018, 09:22:47 AM
Its not a Toad either....    :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:

you're right!! I need my eyesight testing, what is that thing? a taken over pre grouping, or a  peco / farish we'll paint anything in all the grouping companies colours model.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations