!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fibre optic cable question  (Read 237 times)

Offline fatso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Chairperson of the north woolwich M.r.c
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Fibre optic cable question
« on: February 12, 2018, 09:13:39 pm »
Hi guys i would like to use fibre optic cable that was laying around to brings red and green light from s power unit have covered the cable with black heat shrink  can i drill the led size hole and just super glue into place so the light shine on my front panel so i have green for both tracks on and red or forward a orange  for reverse mike
Always looking on the bright side of life

Offline geoffc

• N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
Re: Fibre optic cable question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:21:43 am »
Hi Mike
I am not quite sure what you want to do, this is my suggestion:

Get a block of plastic, preferably black and drill a hole through the block the size of the fibre optic. Open out the hole on one side to take the LED and glue in place using something like canopy glue as I am given to understand super glue will attack the LED and fibre optic. Unless you scratch the outside of the fibre optic the light should not leak out. If you have a problem with light leakage by all means sheath the fibre optic. If you need to stop stray light at the plastic block something like liquid tape does a good job.

Hope this helps

Geoff

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:53:15 am »
One way of joining an L E D is push the lead out of an old pencil drill a hole the size of the led in one end push the L.E D in and seal.with blue tack ,push the Fibre optic cable in the other end and again a bit of blue tack to hold it in that way no light can escape and the small hole holds the fibre cable head on to the L E D
I used a pencil  from an  Argos selection stand they often have very loose leads because they are very cheap throw away pencils ,just go in have a browse and just try a few of the pencils you are bound to find one .
Bob Tidbury

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 12:22:30 pm »
Just for completeness (as this was discussed on the NGF Facebook page):  I've volunteered my services to Mike to remove the LEDs from the circuit boards and fit them to fly-leads so they can be mounted in holders on his panel. Much easier than fiddling around with fibre-optics.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 01:07:59 pm »
Fiber optic works by refraction creating an internal "tube" mirror effect inside the fiber.  Therefore any adhesion, glue or other bonding like heat shrink will destroy this effect and significantly reduce the light.  The best way to mount the end of a fiber is to sleeve it loosely with a short length of wire sleeve or rubber tube, which itself can then be glued.  the fiber also needs a clean square flat end to maximize the ability to take in light.

Offline fatso

• Chairperson of the north woolwich M.r.c
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 02:39:31 pm »
Just for completeness (as this was discussed on the NGF Facebook page):  I've volunteered my services to Mike to remove the LEDs from the circuit boards and fit them to fly-leads so they can be mounted in holders on his panel. Much easier than fiddling around with fibre-optics.

Hi guys Nick kindly offered to redo the units and extend the led as it save going another 3 fall or a submission to bend the cable was given 10mm x 3m of nightmare stuff  i rather fight dino for my diner lol
Always looking on the bright side of life

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything