!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Easi shunt  (Read 689 times)

Offline Steve59

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Easi shunt
« on: February 12, 2018, 07:15:27 pm »
Hi,
When using the Dapol easi shunt coupling do both wagons need to be fitted with the couplings or can just one wagon need to have the coupling.
Thanks in advance

Online Timofpenk

• Awards
Re: Easi shunt
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 07:43:29 pm »
Yeah both wagons or wagon and attached loco need an easy shut coupling fitting for them to work

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:41:28 pm »
As far as I know the Dapol easi shunt will only couple with another one, so you'll need them wherever you regularly split trains. However, in a fixed rake of coaches or wagons you only need one at each end plus whatever you use to haul the train. Bit of a pain if you shunt a lot of wagons one by one, though.

Offline BobB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27926
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 04:49:06 pm »
The easi-shunts can couple with Dapol's non-working buck-eye style couplings and American buck-eye styles but it's a manual operation to connect them and to un-couple them so a bit of a waste of time. As far as my research goes, they only work hands off with another easi-shunt.

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 07:37:10 pm »
That's right--they only auto-couple with each other.
Aren't we lucky to have the non-magnetic buckeyes in N compared with our OO gauge friends? As far as I know, they have to fit magnetic Kadees to all their wagons--quite an investment for a full-length MGR set!

Offline Steve59

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 09:21:01 pm »
Thanks for the info, just getting back into modelling after a 15 year or more break. Do the easi shunt couplings go into the Peco wagon couplings box with out having to change them?
Thanks

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 10:41:20 pm »
In simple terms no - you have to replace the Peco coupling and box with an EasiShunt box which the EasiShunt plugs into being NEM compliant. I've not done it ( I use DGs for shunting) but there are plenty of posts on here on the subject.

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 10:44:19 pm »
Nope, they go into rolling stock that has NEM pockets and Peco don't, they need to be converted using the Dapol conversion kit, fortunately Peco wagons are the easiest to convert, as the chassis underside is already the correct height, unlike many Farish, just clip off the old box and coupling, clean up the surface and glue the pocket on, I now use thick cyno got this and the jobs done, the peco kit includes an alignment gauge then just buy the pocket only set from then on, each set gives you enough pockets to convert 10 wagons.

The first couple are a bit daunting but once you have done a couple it's realy easy, unlike the Farish ones.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 08:43:57 am »
Aren't we lucky to have the non-magnetic buckeyes in N compared with our OO gauge friends? As far as I know, they have to fit magnetic Kadees to all their wagons--quite an investment for a full-length MGR set!
If you've got an MGR set you only need the easi shunts (or any other fancy coupling)at each end of the rake, the whole point of MGR trains was they didn't need shunting and the trains ran almost continuously with out stopping...

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 10:06:09 am »
If you've got an MGR set you only need the easi shunts (or any other fancy coupling)at each end of the rake, the whole point of MGR trains was they didn't need shunting and the trains ran almost continuously with out stopping...

The same goes for passenger trains if you generally use broadly fixed rakes.  Easi shunt at the end of each rake or portions of trains if you are modelling the likes of the Lakes Express which left Euston with at least 3 portions.  Don't ask about the Atlantic Coast  Express from Waterloo!

Online PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 12:51:23 pm »
I think Crepello's point was that OO modellers have to fit expensive magnetic couplers to all the wagons in the middle of the rake even though they are not required as there is no cheaper dumb alternative like N Gauge modellers have.

.....Dapol "dumb" hooks (or as I would advocate Bachmann dummy knuckles).

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Steve59

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 06:43:54 pm »
Thanks for all your info starting to get my head round this now. I have a few Peco wagons and guards vans I can convert. How hard are locos to do or is there someone who I could send these of to be done?

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything