!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DIY pin extensions - Peco  (Read 206 times)

Offline DaveGlew

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
DIY pin extensions - Peco
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:41:27 pm »
Does anyone have any experience of extending peco point motor pins?

Peco's extenders are expensive if you need a lot. I want to use their motors sub baseboard without mounting them on the points. If there's no ready solution I may use them on the surface with wire in tube. I would use Servos but I have loads of the motors so want to use them.
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: DIY pin extensions - Peco
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:47:40 pm »
It's been years now since I bought a Peco motor but if I recall correctly, they came with the extender included?  :hmmm:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 09:49:43 pm »
It's been years now since I bought a Peco motor but if I recall correctly, they came with the extender included?  :hmmm:
Frayed Knot Bealman............ they clearly have an eye on upselling

Offline ColinH

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24448
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:50:30 pm »
Peco do one with an already extended pin for underboard mounting.  I've used the on my Sundeala board and still had to cut them down to length. Depends how thick your base board is though.

PArt number is PL10e
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:52:45 pm by ColinH, Reason: added part no »
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 09:52:12 pm »
Peco do one with an already extended pin for underboard mounting.  I've used the on my Sundeala board and still had to cut them down to length. Depends how thick your base board is though.
Thanks.... but I already have the motors so need to mod. them. Baseboard is 12mm plus about 6mm of closed cell foam underlay. I wonder if the short pins can be pulled out and replaced with piano wire. If I have to buy new I think I'll use Servos.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:58:22 pm by DaveGlew »

Offline Gary Burcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 26212
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 10:10:09 pm »
I have done exactly this.  I too do not like to pay more for things if I can help it.  Some pins are thicker than others, so watch out and measure each one.  Aldi are doing a digital vernier caliper for 7.99 at the moment and this is perfect for measuring the pin diameter.  You then need to buy some brass rod as close to the same diameter and some brass tube with an interior diameter that is as close to the external diameter, but err on the side of a larger i/d tube.  Most of mine were 1mm, but for the larger pins I ran a drill through the tube to enlarge it.   I got my rods and tubes from evil-bay for a couple of quid for each.  Cut a piece of tube approx 15mm, de burr the interior edges and glue to the pin of the motor using either epoxy or cyno (I used cyno).  Remember to only push the tube about halfway on.  Once dry, cut some rod a little longer than you need and glue into the vacant end of the tube.  Job's a goodun!

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 06:09:33 am »
Hi Gary, Sounds like the perfect solution to me as I would hate to have to not use the 20 odd motors I have in stock. Really pleased to hear that it worked. Thanks.

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 11:49:12 am »
Dave,
I too was reluctant to pay the sort of prices some sellers wanted for Peco extensions.
So I rang Peco and told them I had some old functioning point motors that I wanted to re-use but the pins where pre-cut too short. They advised me that there are 2 different diameter of Peco motor pins depending on the age of the motors. They sent me some of each type of extending pin including the brass extending sleeves for the price of a s.a.e. Big shout out to Peco. Give them a ring. Don't know how many you need but I asked for 20 of each diameter and they said no problem.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:53:37 am by Delboy, Reason: clarity »
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything