!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Priming metal coach sides.  (Read 430 times)

Offline trkilliman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
Priming metal coach sides.
« on: January 20, 2018, 07:25:24 am »
For priming I have been using a spray can of Hycote mid grey primer, just under 6 a can. I had thought about etch primer but they can be around double the price, often consdierably more.

I sprayed a batch of N/S sides, and a couple of pairs of brass ones. They we left to dry for around 36 hours. As they were to be carmine and cream the cream was airbrushed on. When fully dry I masked for the carmine using Hobbycraft own brand version of the Tamiya brand. Carmine duly airbrushed.

When I came to gently remove the tape the N/S sides were o.k with just a very minimal bit of bleed. When I removed the tape from the brass sides my heart sank. The carmine and the primer lifted randomly...a few little brown words abounded!

Is this a strong case for etch primer, was it just bad luck, or does brass just react differently?

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
Re: Priming metal coach sides.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 08:45:22 am »
For priming I have been using a spray can of Hycote mid grey primer, just under 6 a can. I had thought about etch primer but they can be around double the price, often consdierably more.

I sprayed a batch of N/S sides, and a couple of pairs of brass ones. They we left to dry for around 36 hours. As they were to be carmine and cream the cream was airbrushed on. When fully dry I masked for the carmine using Hobbycraft own brand version of the Tamiya brand. Carmine duly airbrushed.

When I came to gently remove the tape the N/S sides were o.k with just a very minimal bit of bleed. When I removed the tape from the brass sides my heart sank. The carmine and the primer lifted randomly...a few little brown words abounded!

Is this a strong case for etch primer, was it just bad luck, or does brass just react differently?

Hi

How clean was the brass?

I use Hycote white primer for mine and occasionally I have the same problem which is usually down to not cleaning the brass enough.

Cheers

Paul

Offline trkilliman

• N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 09:21:30 am »
That's a good point to take into consideration Paul.

The N/S sides were sealed in their Ultima bag, from their days of manufacture in Solihull. They would have been clean, whereas the brass ones had been knocking around in my drawer for a few years.  Thanks for that nugget of info'...appreciated.

Steve.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 11:28:06 am »
I always use Halford etch primer grey on a surface burnished with a fiberglass pen, for adhesion, after cleaning in a tank with a dishwasher tablet.  Then leave for at least a week. 

I also use Tamiya flexible (for curves) masking tape for the edge, with paper and low tack masking tape to mask the rest but stuck to the Tamiya tape not the paint.

If the surface is undulating or rough where a seal at an edge is not possible I draw the edge with an indelible felt pen of the correct color with a steel rule and then paint up to the edge.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 01:18:26 pm »
I use Halford's primers; grey plastic for black/dark colours, red for maroon, and white for carmine and cream.

Never had a problem with this lifting when using masking tape.

Make sure the brass is finger grease free before spraying; I wipe with IPA, holding the etches with tweezers or small pliers.

HTH

martyn

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything