!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Vs Farish Class 66  (Read 431 times)

Offline Kaput

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Dapol Vs Farish Class 66
« on: January 13, 2018, 07:05:45 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I was looking for peoples opinions on the pros/cons of the current Farish Class 66 vs the Dapol ones, specially 371-397 vs 2D-007-007. Both seem to be the same livery and are DCC ready but the Dapol one is a good £10 cheaper.

Anyone know of any notable differences between them?

Thanks.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
Re: Dapol Vs Farish Class 66
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 07:42:09 pm »
Having serviced my fathers fleet which is mostly new diesels, I would personally always go for Farish. The Dapol loco's do look very nice, but I found out of the ones I did they were all noisy runners and nothing like as smooth as the farish equivalents. That included direct comparison of Cl66's but they were not the specific ones you mention.

This is a generalisation, from my experience and I expect someone has specific knowledge of those loco's

Matt

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 08:10:15 pm »
Hi Kaput, and welcome to the forum :wave:
Bit beyond my era, but I'm sure I've read on the forum the Farish one is heavier than the Dapol version and so haulage is better.

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 08:11:53 pm »
Hi @Kaput :wave: and welcome aboard. :wave:

Like Matt, I don't have experience of the DRS livery that you're interested in Kaput.

But I vote 36 to 1 in favour of Dapol. Well, I have 36 Dapol and only 1 Farish 66.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 08:24:13 pm »
New models from either company are very good.
New Farish 66ís have a 6 pin DCC socket.
New Dapol 66ís have a quieter motor than before.
Farish are heavier and can haul more wagons.
I would plump for Farish over Dapol but I have some Dapol 66ís to get livery and number variations.

Regards,

John P

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 09:02:25 pm »
Farish all the way. Finer moulding, more reliable, better haulage.

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 09:07:37 pm »
Farish all the way. Finer moulding, more reliable, better haulage.

I'd second that, the majority of my Dapol, admittedly bought a few years ago, gave more problems than the equivalent Farish models.

just, I hasten to add, my personal experience.
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 09:32:31 pm »
IMHO
Farish for haulage, Dapol for looks
In the fleet I have approx. 70% Farish to 30% Dapol, the new Dapol units are an awful lot quieter than the old ones. However the Farish ones still have issues occasionally with the cogs.
cheers
Graham

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 09:40:34 pm »
Kato every time   :D  :D  :D   They're great models but of course smaller scale and European liveries.

Seriously, I have a couple of Dapol 66s, one very early one which overheats (I need to strip and fettle it again most likely) and one later model which seems ok so far.   No experience of Farish 66s.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:41:59 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "KŲnigshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 09:58:35 am »
Posted this last time this got asked (not my photo). Dunno how the Dapol one can be said to look better personally, itís coarse and squashed!

Farish left, Dapol right:

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 10:24:28 am »
Well, @njee20, I'm not expert on the EMD 66s, but I'll take a stab at suggesting some details that the Dapol model shows better...

• The horn grille looks deeper, and aesthetically better because of that.
  • The snow plough thing around the front of the bogie is much better in size and shape.
  • The multiple working (?) socket in the middle of the cab end seems to be at the right height, whereas the Farish one looks slightly too high.

I do agree that the lamp irons look finer on the Farish model and the moulded handrails also look finer.

On the fence with regard to the windscreen wipers. They seem to be moulded on the Farish one, which should be more durable, while the Dapol ones are separate fittings, which gives more realism, but are certainly chunkier and more likely to break off.

Not sure about the electrification flashes and loco numbers; the Farish ones do seem smaller and therefore closer to my perception of what they should look like, but this is the sort of thing that might vary from loco to loco, so might be less of a criticism than first appears.

Overall I don't see much in it, and I think it comes down to getting the livery you want at the price you're willing to pay. The first iteration of Dapol 66s sounded like a bag of spanners, but the modern ones are a lot better, and I'm very pleased with my Freightliner green example. Are Farish ever so slightly more reliable? Sometimes I think they are, and certainly most of the models I've sent away for repairs have been Dapol locos rather than Farish ones.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Busybee

• N Gauge Society Number: 21769D
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 10:33:53 am »
Farish for me, I have both, a lot better haulage from the Farish locos. More variety in Dapol, but the lamp brackets are to big/thick.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 11:05:14 am »
The air dam is a separate piece on the Farish one, not fitted in that photo. I personally think the windscreen wipers are grossly overscale on the Dapol one, somewhere that separate doesnít really make sense, but thatís not really noticeable at normal viewing distance.

Donít get me wrong, Iíve got about 8 Dapol ones and 12 Farish ones, the lack of a 6 pin socket on older Farish ones was a pain, but Iíve got 2 Dapol ones that have just stopped for no reason. Must sort them!

On Farish ones the buffer beam is on the chassis, which means you canít swap bodies without a partial repaint, the yellow doesnít match.

Offline Kaput

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 05:35:51 pm »
Many thanks for the responses. One thing I found elsewhere but without any real confirmation is that the Farish versions don't have NEM couplers, anyone able to confirm/deny?

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 10:19:49 pm »
According to the 2013/14 catalogue the following all have NEM couplings:-

371-395 Colas
371-396 GBRf
371-384 EWS
371-385 Freightliner

Please Support Us!