!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lets have a quick chat about the Class 91...  (Read 778 times)

Offline jacowin80

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Lets have a quick chat about the Class 91...
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 08:46:12 pm »
@kirky Hello, I have been right through the Northallerton post in the past, love the layout and work which I would aspire to!  The HST looks amazing and to do all that by hand is really quite something.  Many thanks and all the best, James.

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 08:57:54 pm »
@kirky Hello, I have been right through the Northallerton post in the past, love the layout and work which I would aspire to!  The HST looks amazing and to do all that by hand is really quite something.  Many thanks and all the best, James.

@jacowin80
James
Well thank you very much, kind words indeed.
Yes Alan did the HST, but he is semi professional, and I always remind him he could do better :-))
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance is at RailEx NE North Shields, 28th/29th July 2018.

Layout: Northallerton
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

Offline cornish trains jez

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 11:04:56 pm »
Hi,

Here is my Farish 91 with the addition of the PH Designs etched light clusters,
modified nose grill and etched brass buffers filed down to shape. The lights have been added to front and rear cabs.
I’ve also heavily modified and fitted a Dapol pantograph and some additional detailing below the front cab window. Lastly, the cab door hand rail recesses have been dug out and I plan to fit wire hand rails.

Here it is in primer undercoat and the warning panel yellow on.

Best regards,

Jeremy

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:06:01 pm by cornish trains jez »

Offline jacowin80

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 11:08:51 pm »
Hi,

modified nose grill and etched brass buffers filed down to shape. The lights have been added to front and rear cabs.
Iíve also heavily modified and fitted a Dapol pantograph and some additional detailing below the front cab window. Lastly, the cab door hand rail recesses have been dug out and I plan to fit wire hand rails.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Now that really is fantastic and just shows what can be done to a very crude model. Now if only I had the time and patience (and skills) to active something somewhere near that.

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 11:15:29 pm »
A marked improvement, nicely done. If you want to perform more drastic surgery the PH Designs etches for the class 90 lights fit, and make a huge difference.

Any pictures of the that modification? Have a spare 91 bodyshell I'm tempted to have a go at improving.

Regarding the mk4s; I have a full rake of 8 Intercity livery, old Poole made, which are very dated. Is it worth trying to pick up some of the newer GNER types? Or better adding vinyls/seats to the ones I have?

for the etches fitted to the 90, see here. The same guyís done a 91, and it looks great, but not got photos to share! Itís @cornish trains jez heís not often here, but may want to show his excellent work off...!

Product page is here:
2mm N Gauge Class 90 Detail Set
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline G_N_E_R

• Just another N Gauge modeler, focusing on GNER!
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 07:47:27 am »
Hi,

Iíve also heavily modified and fitted a Dapol pantograph and some additional detailing below the front cab window. Lastly, the cab door hand rail recesses have been dug out and I plan to fit wire hand rails.

Best regards,

Jeremy

My my Jeremy, this is spectacular! :D :D :D
If it ain't Blue and Red, something must be wrong!!

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 08:08:37 am »
Its also 2FS, not N gauge, but we wonít hold that against him ;)

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 04:40:00 pm »
Right on cue, this month's Locomotives Illustrated dropped through my door today. Its the class 91s this month (well Feb - March 2018 - never did understand the dates on mags?). Well worth having a copy IMHO.
Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance is at RailEx NE North Shields, 28th/29th July 2018.

Offline captainelectra

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Electra Railway Graphics
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 10:00:19 pm »
Although the Farish 91 is pretty crude by today's standards, it is very well proportioned and, as those pictures show, can scrub up into a very fine model with some work. This goes for a lot of Farish models from the late 80s onwards (with the notable exception of the 56).

I would love to see an up-to-date version but think this unlikely, as it may be a difficult sell.

A 3D printed set of valences with different coupling options could come in useful. Bernard Taylor did two detailing kits - one for the 91s as built and a later set for the GNER 91/1 conversions with extra side vents.

I followed the 91s from new on the ECML and still think of them as modern traction, despite their days being numbered.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Electra Railway Graphics
Peterborough, UK
http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk
Flick Site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27017199@N07/

Offline kirky

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 10:32:14 pm »
Although the Farish 91 is pretty crude by today's standards, it is very well proportioned and, as those pictures show, can scrub up into a very fine model with some work. This goes for a lot of Farish models from the late 80s onwards (with the notable exception of the 56).

I would love to see an up-to-date version but think this unlikely, as it may be a difficult sell.

A 3D printed set of valences with different coupling options could come in useful. Bernard Taylor did two detailing kits - one for the 91s as built and a later set for the GNER 91/1 conversions with extra side vents.

I followed the 91s from new on the ECML and still think of them as modern traction, despite their days being numbered.

Adam of course has a full range of vinyls available for the 91.

cheers
Kirky

Online woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 12:09:24 pm »
As if by magic the new Modern Locomotives Illustrated volume is for the Class 91 in all its myriad detail and colours.

http://shop.keypublishing.com/issue/View/issue/MLI229?dm_i=4JU,5EUMT,9FJVY9,KY3LT,1
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks

Membre 0196. Association FranÁaise des Amis du N (AFAN)

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here