!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Power to tracks  (Read 910 times)

Offline Class 25

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Power to tracks
« on: January 11, 2018, 12:17:24 pm »
Hi with me being from a oo gauge background I used to use the R8206 power track to power the track. But with me now modelling in n gauge is there track similar to feed power. I am going to use either peco 80 or 55 code on my layout. Also will the new hornby DC controller be ok for using with n gauge.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Power to tracks
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 12:21:32 pm »
I can't help with the controller aspect as my knowledge doesn't cover it, but track feed wise the two main ways are to solder droppers to the sides of the track or, do what I do, and use pre-soldered fishplates e.g. the Peco ones. Some scorn the latter method but I've used them successfully for quite a while now mainly 'cos my soldering is just rubbish :-[

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 12:51:15 pm »
Hi @Class 25

Power clips for the track :-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/272367869919?chn=ps&adgroupid=49939730778&rlsatarget=pla-380792707624&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=110422123&poi=&googleloc=1007016&device=c&campaignid=974198600&crdt=0
Cut the plug off, or you could buy a bachmann DC controller and plug it straight in

As for the controller, you want one that wont put out more than 14V at the track, I believe OO puts out between 16 & 17v which is bad for the motors in N gauge locos

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 01:07:53 pm »
N and OO are both "nominally" 12V DC systems (I know Fleischmann label as 14V).  However some controllers are known to put out more - often this depends on the power supply used if it's the "wall-wart" type. 

Your Hornby controller will run your locos, you may find the control is not as fine as a dedicated N gauge controller and you probably won't have to go anywhere near full throttle!     Also the overload/short circuit cut-out may be tuned for a higher current, meaning there is more risk of cooking something if there is a problem.

Though I don't use it on my layout, one of the finest controllers I've found when running my test track is actually a Maerklin Z gauge controller.  I think Z is nominally 8V?    How many people really belt their locos around at full tilt anyway (yes I know some youtube videos look frightening)?  I find generally my trains trundle round at between 3-5 out of 10 on the knob. The occasional ICE express gets to fly round to please kids at exhibitions but that's an exception!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:16:46 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline RMurphy195

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 10:07:55 am »
I can't help with the controller aspect as my knowledge doesn't cover it, but track feed wise the two main ways are to solder droppers to the sides of the track or, do what I do, and use pre-soldered fishplates e.g. the Peco ones. Some scorn the latter method but I've used them successfully for quite a while now mainly 'cos my soldering is just rubbish :-[

Same here, no problems so far in 3 years since I put it together. These are easy to replace if they do give problems (mine never have), and you can easily make try making them yourself without risking track sections.

I have found N gauge track to be a bit fragile especially points, so the less handling I have to do the better, which makes making changes to glued-down track, or melting sleepers,  expensive no matter how careful you are!.

Offline RMurphy195

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 07:00:02 pm »
I've recently found (in a long-forgotten cupboard!) a Gaugemaster controller I bought for my son many years ago for his Thomas the Tank OO train set. I measured its output at 0 - 12v, and it does give very fine control of my N gauge locos - at least, the Farish 64xx I ran in a week or so ago.

The controller was expensive at the time (maybe about 20 years ago), I haven't dared look how much they are now!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 09:04:20 pm »

The controller was expensive at the time (maybe about 20 years ago), I haven't dared look how much they are now!

@RMurphy195
This site might take some of the shock out of the equation. You might be surprised!

http://inflation.iamkate.com

Offline first timer

• N Gauge Society Number: 26959
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 05:36:01 pm »
I,m new to this model railway thing but I use a Morley twin track dedicated to N gauge and I find it great it also comes with 2 hand controllers which are very useful.

Regards Les
  ( first timer )

Offline Bigfilmguy

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 11:30:33 pm »
I've recently found (in a long-forgotten cupboard!) a Gaugemaster controller I bought for my son many years ago for his Thomas the Tank OO train set. I measured its output at 0 - 12v, and it does give very fine control of my N gauge locos - at least, the Farish 64xx I ran in a week or so ago.

The model D controller is listed at 99.95 on the Gaugemaster website, but I got mine for 68.21 from Amazon. Damned fine controller, and lifetime warranty, can't go wrong!
Craig (aka Bigfilmguy)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Mastering the fine art of Percussive Maintenance since 1975

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 06:36:37 pm »
I have a couple of Gaugemaster controllers that are around 30 years old and are still going strong.  This is despite them having been moved around with me over several house moves and also spending quite a lot of time in storage sometimes in far from ideal conditions. 
John

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
September Donations

Advertise Here