!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hornby "Supply To Order"  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Hornby "Supply To Order"
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 03:27:45 pm »
personally as a retailer I cannot get my customers to pre-order, one or two do, but not many will commit to spending X100's of pounds in six months time, or in some cases even longer, especially where Hornby are concerned as they are not known for delivering on time.

I fail to see the problem in pre-ordering as no money is committed to by the customer until the item is despatched to them. How long has my pre-order for the DJM class 23 been on? Look what happened to the damned Dapol WC/BoB farce? Incredibly frustrating but, at the end of the day, no money has been lost by me (although in a fit of pique I went and bought the new Farish Merchant Navy ::) ::))

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 03:35:48 pm »
It's good to see a near 50/50 split in the attitude to this, personally as a retailer I cannot get my customers to pre-order,

I'm also not sure this is part of Lyndon Davies' new role, I have the feeling a decision like this would have been made before he took over.

On pre-orders: I don't know whether it will become as regular as abroad, though part of that is down to manufacturers and retailers "educating" (how patronising but I can't think of a better word) the market.  Customers want cheap prices well one of the ways to help keep prices lower is to produce to pre-orders because you don't have to factor in costs for holding stock, warehousing and sending out orders in dribs and drabs.

On Hornby's decision: I can't believe a new CEO would allow such a decision to go out on his watch if he didn't support it.

Cheers, Mike

Offline davidinyork

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 06:38:44 pm »
apologies, obviously my public school education was wasted on me  :no:

Did they teach you which form of it's should have an apostrophe?  :D

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 06:40:36 pm »
I don't really like to pre-order models, it would be much nicer to wait until they were in the shops and reviews in magazines and forums had been read but some models are so appealing you know they are going to be popular.

Me too. I also tend to prevaricate! I've not bought much recently, and the only one I went out and bought as soon as it arrived in the shops was the sound-fitted 40 as I knew that if I didn't get it straight away there would be none left!

Offline Ian Morton

• Ebay
    • Modelscape
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 06:57:26 pm »
With the lead times on quite a few N scale announcements you may well have built the layout, got bored of it, scrapped it and changed eras by the time the model is ready to ship... :(

Offline class37025

• Trade Count: (+31)
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 08:42:09 pm »
apologies, obviously my public school education was wasted on me  :no:

Did they teach you which form of it's should have an apostrophe?  :D

yes  :)
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31