!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tumbleholme...creating one on brass/N.S. coach sides.  (Read 366 times)

Offline trkilliman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16855
    • Awards
Tumbleholme...creating one on brass/N.S. coach sides.
« on: January 09, 2018, 10:59:09 am »
Hi,

I'm interested to hear how others create the tumbleholme.

I have ten sets of Ultima LMS Porthole sides that had a slight tumbleholme towards the bottom of the side. To say the sides are flimsy is an understatement, and I think it would be easy to create a crease rather than a slight radius.
I have an A4 sheet of 2mm clear plasticard that I aim to use as glazing and to add rigidity to the sides. I should be able to create the tumbleholme to the bottom edge of the glazing strip with a block plane...I have a few being into old quality woodworking tools.

I have made my own chassis for these 57ft and 60ft coaches using Plasticard, and Plastruct  "I" channel of the correct size when compared to a Farish Stanier. Mike Howard parts that he used in his kits have been purchased.

I'm feeling my way with this project, so have been conducting a few trial runs on some older stuff I'm not too concerned about.
As my era is Carmine and Cream it involves masking over the cream to spray the carmine. I already had some Tamiya tape but this allowed a bit of bleeding. Hobbycraft have some which I think is their own brand. Two reels of it for same price as one Tamiya, and I found this better.

Talking of Tamiya, I decided to try some of their plastic/plasticard glue in jars. I like it, and feel it's better than the Humbrol I have used for many years. They also do a thin quick setting version which I have found useful.

Anyway, that Tumbleholme...

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
Re: Tumbleholme...creating one on brass/N.S. coach sides.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:08:27 am »
I have ten sets of Ultima LMS Porthole sides that had a slight tumbleholme towards the bottom of the side. To say the sides are flimsy is an understatement, and I think it would be easy to create a crease rather than a slight radius.
I have an A4 sheet of 2mm clear plasticard that I aim to use as glazing and to add rigidity to the sides. I should be able to create the tumbleholme to the bottom edge of the glazing strip with a block plane...I have a few being into old quality woodworking tools.

Hi

I roll mine on a mouse mat with a brass rod.

Cheers

Paul

Online thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:08:27 am »
To create mine I used a solid brass bar 10mm diameter and a mouse mat. Flip the mat over so it is foam side up, lay the side on it and gently role the bar over the bottom edge gradually increasing pressure. Always worked for me :)

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 01:25:37 pm »
I roll mine on a mouse mat with a brass rod.

More or less the same. I use my cutting mat but it has the same effect. I also use the handle of my exact knife as it has a 10mm radius that seems to work about right.

Just remember to remove the blade before you start rolling.  :confused1:
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 10:31:47 pm »
Thanks guys for your advice...appreciated.

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 06:41:44 am »
I did not have any brass bar hanging around, so got the grey matter working on how I might achieve the tumbleholme.
Having been a woodworker I have made several tables for the home and have always relieved sharp edges and corners to tables. With four young daughters sharp edges would have been an accident in the waiting.

The table I now use for modelling is one such table, with a gentle radius to top and bottom edges of the top. Using a donor coach side I placed it on the edge sighting it through so that the area between carmine and cream was just in line with the start of the radius. Holding the coach side down with one hand, fingers spread out over the length of coach side, I gently pressed downwards moving along the side.

Check progress against the coach ends so that you don't overdo it.

The coach sides in question are thin N/S ones. I also have some brass Hawksworth sides that are a tad thicker, I haven't tried them yet.

This has worked for me, and I'm sure the other suggestions work equally well.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here