Alarm clocks

Started by Dorsetmike, January 08, 2018, 04:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

I want a radio controlled clock that keeps perfect time and doesn't need resetting evry other week;
A decent sound from the radio, not the typical distorted tinny noise; I like to listen when reading before putting out the lights;
I want a readout that is always visible, but can be dimmed, I don't wannt to have to fumble for a button to illuminate the readout.
I want a snooze button that works on radio, not one that only works if on buzzer alarm
I don't want a projection of the time on wall or ceiling,  I don't want temperature or other weather readouts.

I have a Sony with reasonable sound but loses at least a minute a week, and to reset the time requires entering date, month, year before the time plus the buttons to do this are on tha back of the case so one needs a mirror to see the display, (or the buttons if you look at the display)

I also tried a Tesco which keeps better time but sounds dreadful, speech is almost unintelligible, music distorts dreadfully.

I'm now trying an Oregon Scientific, time is RC, there is a headphone socket which can drive a pair of amplified speakers, but display needs a button press for back light, and snooze only works on buzzer alarm.

I've seen Braun and some other makes that look as though they should do waht I want , but prices are somewhat over £50; you can get a RC alarm clock for under £10, you can get reasonable sound for under £20, why can't sommebody manage to combine both for under £25?

At present I'm using two, one for alarm, the other for late night listening

I've searched Amazon. Ebay and Google, so far nothing really suitable, there is an Oregon Scientific for about £25 but that has touch sensitive control pads on the top of the case, which acording to reviews are pretty useless. Reviews of the more expensive Braun's are also dire.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Malc

I bought one of these. It's DAB, so good quality audio, considering the size. Almost fits the bill, except the display isn't dimmable, but then again, it's not too bright.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BPBQCW2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_jZ5uAbX8QMW9V
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Caz

My Samsung smartphone does all what you need, most smartphones do and keep very reliable time.  I go to sleep most nights listening to Radio 4 or similar to bore me to sleep and the radio shuts off automatically depending on how many minutes I set.  Phone will also wake me by either buzzer, music, turning inbuilt radio on or TV again dependant on what I choose.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Bealman

Yep, I use me phone all the time. It's accurate because of gps tracking.

A digital clock radio?

Ten bucks at K Mart.  ;) :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Dorsetmike

Being a Luddite I've never had a mobile even let alone a smart phone; I have a landline and a PC that do all I need for communication
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Dorsetmike on January 08, 2018, 04:28:33 PM
I have a Sony with reasonable sound but loses at least a minute a week,
Inside you may find a tiny variable capacitor to trim the crystal frequency, to bring it up to speed.

You could of course retire and then have no need of an alarm ,,, oh hang on, I think you already are  :D  ;D :laugh:
:beers:

Bob G

I had a Pure digital alarm radio once. sound was excellent but then it kept resetting itself from Classic to Absolute radio and that's a hell of a lot of difference in wakeup music. Plus it was £80.
I now have a Sandstrom which is better alarm wise but has a rubbish sound quality. And you need a degree to remember how to reset the alarms. About £40.
Like you, i don't think we can win this one. Why don't they make something that is easy to set - that's why i have an iPhone. it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Bob

Dorsetmike

QuoteYou could of course retire and then have no need of an alarm ,,, oh hang on, I think you already are

Yup, 84 in March, Anyone here older than that?
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations