Graham Farish New Product Announcement - 2018 Full List

Started by guest2, January 07, 2018, 11:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Quote from: railsquid on January 10, 2018, 06:42:17 AM
Quote from: njee20 on January 10, 2018, 05:59:58 AM
Quote from: railsquid on January 10, 2018, 12:47:26 AM
Quote from: njee20 on January 09, 2018, 04:27:41 PM
Agreed - hence my parallel with the Dapol 86. People were paying >£150 for Swallow models whilst other liveries were going for £50 - you could have repainted one and 'saved' money. Weird.
That's assuming you have the time, the skills and the tools to perform such a repaint.

I meant paying someone else.

Ah OK, never occurred to me that might be an option, is it really doable for less than £100?

Mercig, who is one of the most reputable in the business charges £50 for prep/the first colour, then £10 for each subsequent colour, and £10 for the cantrail stripe, so an IC Swallow respray would be £90. So yes, very.

Quote from: trkilliman on January 10, 2018, 07:49:10 AM
So yes Ben, Farish/Bachmann have likely looked at their sales figures and pulled back from wagons for a while.

The prices of Farish wagons has sky rocketed in the last couple of years - PCA tanks doubled overnight, as did many other wagons, let alone new toolings. It would be interesting to know if sales have dropped because prices have risen, which is pushing Farish away from wagons, or if Farish have moved away from wagons because the necessary pricing means they're not as commercially viable.

Obviously I'm not suggesting they sell anything as a loss leader, but I wonder if keeping margins tighter on wagons, particularly in N where people may plausibly buy 20+ of a single model, is a better strategy. It's interesting that Dapol seem to have managed to keep prices lower there.

railsquid

Quote from: njee20 on January 10, 2018, 09:29:44 AM
Agreed - hence my parallel with the Dapol 86. People were paying >£150 for Swallow models whilst other liveries were going for £50 - you could have repainted one and 'saved' money. Weird.
That's assuming you have the time, the skills and the tools to perform such a repaint.

Ah OK, never occurred to me that might be an option, is it really doable for less than £100?

Mercig, who is one of the most reputable in the business charges £50 for prep/the first colour, then £10 for each subsequent colour, and £10 for the cantrail stripe, so an IC Swallow respray would be £90. So yes, very.

Thanks, noted for future reference, I imagined that kind of thing would be a lot more expensive.

Eyes the budget 86s bought with an eye to future repainting

njee20

He was the first person that came to mind, I imagine plenty of other people will do a very good job for similar/less too. Or have a go yourself, worst case you strip it back and have lost a bit of your time.

Anywho, that really is a new tangent!

emjaybee

Quote from: njee20 on January 10, 2018, 10:23:24 AM
He was the first person that came to mind, I imagine plenty of other people will do a very good job for similar/less too. Or have a go yourself, worst case you strip it back and have lost a bit of your time.

Well, as we're barrelling along that current tangent, have a look at the work of Ozymandia on this forum. Search for "Spares and repairs discoveries" (can't do link at the mo' on my phone).

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

RailGooner

Quote from: emjaybee on January 10, 2018, 11:05:16 AM
Quote from: njee20 on January 10, 2018, 10:23:24 AM

Well, as we're barrelling along that current tangent, have a look at the work of Ozymandia on this forum. Search for "Spares and repairs discoveries" (can't do link at the mo' on my phone).

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=22566.msg484391;topicseen#new

scottishlocos

Quote from: Ben A on January 09, 2018, 11:52:21 PM
Quote from: scottishlocos on January 09, 2018, 08:58:41 PM
Also anybody know why the have the chassis but still no OTA wagon that's no new modern wagons for 2 years if Farish don't do it nobody will as unlikely Revolution or DJM or Dapol will touch it as Farish already have the tooling for chassis and could torpedo any other model

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am not privy to the inner discussions at Bachmann, but given that there are no newly tooled wagons this year, and only the TEA as a newly tooled item in last year's catalogue, it does appear that a strategic decision has been taken to focus away from wagons.

I suspect this is both to concentrate their resources on high margin items like locos, and also because increasing labour costs have left many wagons - such as the Pressflos and Seacows - impossible to produce at a price Bachmann feel the market will bear.

Cheers

Ben A.

Ben

Thanks for taking time out to answer the point about wagons one more question i guess it doesn't save any production costs because they already have correct chassis used on other models also probably a fair few fiddly bits on an OTA which would put costs up.

The wagon with x2 Containers at £60 odd quid is madness you could get a second hand loco for that or a short rake of smaller wagons

Having said that the OTA would be very popular

Dave

njee20

To play devil's advocate, I think the risk is people confuse "I want some of those" with "that would be popular". Unless you have done some research, how do you know it would be "very popular"? Are there any caveats to that popularity? Which variant would be most popular? What's the ideal price point? How many would people have?

I agree an OTA seems a reasonably obvious choice for a new model, but if Farish have decided that to do one would cost £40 how many would you have? I'd guess that the chassis isn't the complicated bit, so having one they can re-purpose doesn't really help much. I wouldn't buy any, even though they're within my era they just don't interest me. I think it's very dangerous to assume that x would be a popular model, even if it may seem an 'obvious' choice.

As for what the £60 would get you instead of some Multifret wagons if you stay within the Farish world it would get you fewer than 3-4 of most of their 2-axle wagons. Given you're talking about a pair of bogie wagons is that better value?

robert shrives

Hi ,
A good selection , I guess the GWR 57 will be able to pull the dummy/ failed IEPs  when these come out! Pullman with jumpers in reverse livery a long felt want !  and the White /blue 108 fun for mixing it up.  colas 47 with sound a good one for across the network workings. 47/8 also good but still no sign of the MK2e to go with it .

Robert   

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on January 10, 2018, 01:56:38 PM
To play devil's advocate, I think the risk is people confuse "I want some of those" with "that would be popular". Unless you have done some research, how do you know it would be "very popular"? Are there any caveats to that popularity? Which variant would be most popular? What's the ideal price point? How many would people have?
There are some pretty good pointers - long-lived, wide geographical range, etc. For new toolings it also helps if there are lots of liveries to go at over a number of years.

That said, there are equally some niche models which seem sought after although it wouldn't necessarily be expected. For example the Dapol set in the now-defunct Wrexham & Shropshire livery is very sought after - I saw one go for £200 on ebay yesterday, which is a lot more than it would have cost new.

Quote from: njee20 on January 10, 2018, 09:29:44 AM

That's just for the repaint. It's then a further £120 for the weathering package and basic detailing. And I quote from his website - Resprays are only taken out as part of the weathering package, and are priced as follows. I do not take on work that is purely a respray.

So it's actually £210 for a respray, weathering and basic detailing.

Cheers
Anthony 
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

West Coast Models - www.westcoastmodels.co.uk

Quote from: cazadoom on January 09, 2018, 08:08:13 PM
Can we change the name of this thread to "lets all Moan about prices and what they have and haven't done"

just sat and read the whole thread again,

If it wasn't for company's like Farish, Dapol, Revolution, union mills and the likes we wouldn't have anything!

I know not everyone can afford it, yes prices are rising but its happening to everything! Take the humble Freddo for example! it was 10p not that long ago! 

Freddo!! 10p!! Seems a life time ago now :smiley-laughing:

Cheers
Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Quote from: Railbank on January 09, 2018, 07:44:21 PM
I have kept up with this thread from the start and it's proved to be an informative debate on future models and pricing.

So I looked up an old Railway modeller from June 1998 and the Hattons ad;

Class 37, 47, 56 - £58.50
3 car dmu - £59.50
Class 20, 25 - £46.50

Taking the 37, 47 and 56 prices and using an inflation calculator

Today
£99
June 1998
£59
The cost of goods and services increased by 68.1% over this period.

So considering we now have lights, finer detail, more accurate models and dcc ready and a great deal more choice of both models and manufacturers the current prices are not a million miles away

37's are to be found just under £100.latest ones just over, the latest class 40 is going for £119 post included.

Whilst the cost of these future models are steep in places I think there is a lot of stuff that has just about kept pace with all the other stuff in our lives that we pay for and where it has gone up I think the rises have been justified in order to give us the quality and choice we can experience today.

All my modelling life has been about choice; choosing the era, choosing to do some rule 1's, choosing what I like and what i don't all running alongside what I can afford/justify to continue my hobby.

Well said that man :beers:

I have been saying the same for some time now. The thing is we are spoilt in this hobby. We didn't have half the models that we have now 20 years ago. Also 20 years ago people were crying out for working lights, extra finer details, smoother running motors etc. Well now we have it and more! But look at where we are at with it all. Social media full of ranting and the same with the forums. I just think people are getting greedy, wanting more for less and higher expectations. Unfortunately all these extra things come at a cost.

I don't really know what else to say apart from to the one's who's expectations are high, and wanting everything for nothing, then maybe it's time you found another hobby? Personally I am quite happy with everything. And no I don't have a disposable income each month, I model a set era and area. I don't buy for the sake of buying because something looks nice. I guess I am lucky that I am in a position to sit down and actually do some proper modelling. No new livery's on a 37 this year? Oh well, I'll pick up an existing model at a reasonable price and respray it myself. This is what modelling is all about isn't it?

I know I will probably be bombarded with replies to this, but I am just airing my opinion that's all.   

Cheers
Anthony 

Bealman

Not from me, Anthony. I've always said you get wot you pays for.   :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

Quote from: 37058 on January 10, 2018, 11:20:09 PM]
That's just for the repaint. It's then a further £120 for the weathering package and basic detailing. And I quote from his website - Resprays are only taken out as part of the weathering package, and are priced as follows. I do not take on work that is purely a respray.

So it's actually £210 for a respray, weathering and basic detailing.

Ah ha, seems more likely. Still, you'll find a respray elsewhere for £100 I'll wager. Shalln't derail the thread even further on that tangent!

Re: unrealistic expectations and wanting everything for nothing. I'm not really seeing that. We've got a few people saying they have to be more selective with purchases, but that seems to be a statement of fact and begrudging acceptance rather than a moan. It's common sense too, who wouldn't be more selective with purchases when there's a bigger financial outlay. I think the people moaning about the moaners outnumber the moaners by a significant margin!

Bealman

Even though I have made the odd comment, I think we are way off topic here.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations