Replacing decals on bachfarish.

Started by IkBrunel, January 03, 2018, 06:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulinSouthMidlands

I used cotton buds and nail varnish remover. Found the bachfar numbers much harder to remove than the Dapol. Used bespoke replacement decals from Precision Labels applied direct after removal of the old and varnished with Humbrol matte coat varnish . This is solvent based and is the first varnish I've found that goes on reliably, is actually consistently matt and stays clear. Presumably becauase it is solvent not water based. I put a quick coat over the transfer immediately after application then later a second coat covering the area around the transfer up to eg the first door. You can see the decal backing but you have to look!

I also found that overcoating with Humbrol Matte Coat on a coach varnished years ago with a water based varnish improved it massively./

ten0G

Quote from: ten0G on January 05, 2018, 05:33:44 PM
I hope I've solved my conflict with the Dapol 57xx. 

I recalled reading a letter in a mid or late seventies model magazine (probably Model Railway News), about a B-set rake still in GWR livery in the late fifties in the Honeybourne area. 

I bought a pair of Dapol coaches in the last GWR livery and I think the train makes a fine sight. 

Tennoji.

If I do find any livery conflicts, then I'll repaint the coaches in crimson and the pannier in black with the unicycling totem.  I may try to keep the brass finish safety valve though under Rule 1 as I don't think black looks as good. 

Intercity

Does anyone have photos of the results of these techniques? I search for pics and either get sidetracked or get the upgrade photobucket stuff, just wondering if the renumbers are obvious (colour patches/blotches where varnish has been applied) or if it blends in so you can't tell.

PaulinSouthMidlands

It is difficult to photo in that depending on the angle it will look invisible or ghastly.

I think the most important thing is the varnishing but you will be able to see that it has been modded if you look for it however good you are.

Quote from: Intercity on January 13, 2018, 04:39:28 PM
Does anyone have photos of the results of these techniques? I search for pics and either get sidetracked or get the upgrade photobucket stuff, just wondering if the renumbers are obvious (colour patches/blotches where varnish has been applied) or if it blends in so you can't tell.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations