!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Enough Power?  (Read 591 times)

Offline Bill1000

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Enough Power?
« on: January 02, 2018, 05:57:52 pm »

Hello,  sorry if this is a silly question, I have searched the forum and couldn't find the answer (although I may have missed it!)

I have a oval, the inner part of the track picture, I would like to extend it as the whole of the picture attached.  Will there be enough power?  Do I need more wires around the track from the same transformer or do I need to get another one? I only plan to run one loco at a time, it's Fleischmann piccolo track, N Gauge. I hope that makes sense and sorry if it is a stupid question but I am completely new to this! DC I assume it is...

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
Re: Enough Power?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 06:24:51 pm »
Hello Bill 1000 and welcome to the forum.

If you are running a single train you should be OK with just the one controller.

Fleischmann piccolo points as supplied allow the current to run in both directions so you should only need one feed  to the track.

Good luck !

Joe

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 07:20:39 pm »
It may be worth adding a power feed to the outer loop - otherwise you rely a n a pair of points for power transfer.

Colour coded power cables are a good idea as well.
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Bill1000

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 08:08:17 pm »
Hello Bill 1000 and welcome to the forum.

If you are running a single train you should be OK with just the one controller.

Fleischmann piccolo points as supplied allow the current to run in both directions so you should only need one feed  to the track.

Good luck !

Joe

Thank you for the welcome, appears to be a very friendly and helpful place! Great hope it works!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 08:08:44 pm »
Plenty of power available from the controller you have.  You may find you need to add a power feed as has been suggested.  Later, when you decide you want to run two trains at once you can obtain a second controller (but you will need to add isolating joiners at the crossover between the two loops).   

You could have 100 times as much trackwork and the controller would still have enough power. The power requirement depends on what your train needs in order to run, not how long the track is.  As the track gets longer there are more joints and more potential for voltage loss across those joints, but that is usually dealt with by improving the number of power feeds to the track and increasing the cross section of the wiring used for those feeds, not by buying a more powerful controller.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Bill1000

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 08:09:13 pm »
It may be worth adding a power feed to the outer loop - otherwise you rely a n a pair of points for power transfer.

Would that just be a second set of cables from the same transformer? Thanks!

Offline Bill1000

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 08:10:45 pm »
Plenty of power available from the controller you have.  You may find you need to add a power feed as has been suggested.  Later, when you decide you want to run two trains at once you can obtain a second controller (but you will need to add isolating joiners at the crossover between the two loops).   

You could have 100 times as much trackwork and the controller would still have enough power. The power requirement depends on what your train needs in order to run, not how long the track is.  As the track gets longer there are more joints and more potential for voltage loss across those joints, but that is usually dealt with by improving the number of power feeds to the track and increasing the cross section of the wiring used for those feeds, not by buying a more powerful controller.

Ah brilliant, of to google how to add a power feed ha! Thanks

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 08:13:59 pm »

Would that just be a second set of cables from the same transformer? Thanks!
Yes
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 08:15:35 pm »
Yes, just a second pair of wires from the track back to the same controller terminals - making sure that to connect up like-for-like rails otherwise you'll get a short circuit.  Even with the second power feed and still one controller, you would be wise to add insulating joiners in the middle of the two points forming the crossover between inner and outer loop.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Bill1000

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 08:28:46 pm »
Yes, just a second pair of wires from the track back to the same controller terminals - making sure that to connect up like-for-like rails otherwise you'll get a short circuit.  Even with the second power feed and still one controller, you would be wise to add insulating joiners in the middle of the two points forming the crossover between inner and outer loop.

Great thanks. That is to avoid a short circuit if I wired it the wrong way round?

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 08:33:00 pm »
Don’t forget if you do have power feeds to both inner and outer circuits then if you do have a locomotive that you want to run on the outer but also have another just sitting on the inner then both will move at the same time. So.....only one train at once.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 08:37:04 pm »
The are a few possible places you could put your two track feeds.  For your current design it's tricky to 100% follow the "best practice" of always feeding from the toe (beginning of a formation of pointwork), but I think something like this would work for you?  Note I've marked the isolating break (both rails) in red.

@port perran makes a good observation: if you if you do have two locos on the track then you need to make sure one is parked in a siding and the point thrown against it to isolate it. This assumes your Fleischmann points are set as "thinking points", which I believe means removing a little wire link from between the rails?  Or you can put a simple switch in each power feed to isolate that entire loop.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:12:50 pm by ntpntpntp »

Offline Bill1000

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 08:47:29 pm »
The are a few possible places you could put your two track feeds.  It's tricky to 100% follow the "best practise" of always feeding from the toe (beginning of a formation of pointwork), but I think something like this would work for you?  Note I've marked the isolating break (both rails) in red.

@port perran makes a good observation: if you if you do have two locos on the track then you need to make sure one is parked in a siding and the point thrown against it to isolate it. This assumes your Fleischmann points are set as "thinking points", which I believe means removing a little wire link from between the rails?  Or to can put a simple switch in each power feed to isolate that entire loop.

Thank you! I will only be running one for now as I only have one and extra track will be wiping out my train budget ha! Thanks for the diagram, really useful!

Offline Bill1000

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 07:47:04 pm »

Hello again! didn't want to start a new thread for this...

I worked out the track I would need for my original design would cost £230 from ebay or £250 new.  Safe to say that was not approved by my wife.  I should have saved up/waited for birthdays but as a very impatient man I found a job lot on ebay for much less which would allow me to make this (above)

One power pack (can add more cables as previously suggested) one locomotive, my question is...will it work electronically?  Appreciate any advice but imagine you are speaking to a child  :D

Oh also there is a 2 cm not meeting point, I am assuming I can cut/wiggle it into place.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:53:20 pm by Bill1000 »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 07:59:38 pm »
Yes you should be able to get enough wiggle to join that up.
You should only need one track feed, at 10 o'clock on your diagram between the two curved points.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything