!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: SPV-2000/Amtrak 10001  (Read 343 times)

Offline 70000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
SPV-2000/Amtrak 10001
« on: January 01, 2018, 11:33:44 am »
As I have a number of older Bachmann Amfleet cars which have been replaced on the layout by the rather better (bit of an understatement...) Kato versions, I'm contemplating using some of them for conversion to other things.

I converted one to an Amtrak push-pull cab car some time ago, but was wondering whether anyone has converted any to the self propelled SPV-2000 railcar version?
The prototypes weren't exactly succesful, but they would make an interesting contrast to my Budd RDC's !

Open platform "Executive" car 10001 is another possible conversion job for one of them.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:24:39 pm by 70000 »

Offline 70000

• Awards
Re: SPV-2000?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:00:54 pm »
I'm assuming by the lack of response, that the SPV 2000's are a bit too obscure for you mainstream modellers out there!
Will need to source a suitable chassis, but they seem to be an "interesting" subject for modelling and I like making models that other people (i.e. - those in their right mind...) wouldn't bother with - Don't ask about my 1:24 scale ones based on Argentine Railway prototypes......

However, a simple conversion from the Amfleet coaches would appear to be Business Car "Beech Grove", Amtrak 10001, seen here at Galesburg, IL, in June 2011.......

The open platform makes it look rather different, so one of my surplus Bachmann cars will be under the knife in the near future. Luckilly, there are several photos of  the prototype on line, so I have worked out that the windows on the other side are totally different to the view I took at Galesburg!
The strange additional "hump" with window above the platform appears to be for a video camera, in case you were wondering.

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:06:36 am »
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 11:48:10 am »
i'd never heard of these before

They seem to have been a bit of a disaster operationally from what I gather. Metro North (NYC) averaged 9 days between failures on theirs when in service!
Connecticut DoT have recently sold their ones, which had been stored for some time, and managed all of $100 each for several of them, the better examples making just under $160 each.
Must be about the current RRP for a Kato N Scale RDC.............. :goggleeyes:.

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 07:19:47 pm »
Hello

I don't know anything about this car but it sounds really interesting! Thank you for the information.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this project would develop.
Please keep me updated!

Dats

Offline 70000

• Awards
Re: SPV-2000/Amtrak 10001
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 05:24:09 pm »
Made a start today on the first conversion job - Amtrak "Office Car" 10001 being the first subject, mainly as it seems a bit easier to do (theoretically...)

A photo will follow tomorrow, but so far I have cut out the rear observation platform space from one end of the coach, which nicely corresponds to the sliding entrance doors.
Most of the existing windows are OK as they are, but the end two on both sides nearest the open platform need to be enlarged slightly, depth wise.
Two windows on one side need to be reduced to half their existing size and a new window needs inserting on the other side.
The two sliding entrance doors at the opposite end to the platform need to be removed altogether with just a couple of windows remaining in their place.

Once the windows are sorted, it's just the open platform end that needs to be worked on along with the video camera "dome" assembly, although I'm not exactly sure how well I can recreate the Budd "corrugations" where the two doors are going to be removed. I may have to use some "modellers licence" there....

Once 10001 is complete, I think an attempt at an unpowered SPV-2000 will be undertaken to see how it turns out. In the meantime, I can attempt to source a suitable chassis for a powered version!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:25:38 pm by 70000 »

Offline Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:44:25 pm »
Another one to consider is AMTK 9600 the conference car, basically a cab car, I believe the controls are removed though and used for special occasions, many NHL teams hire it when traveling away from home.
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 12:23:53 pm »
Another one to consider is AMTK 9600 the conference car, basically a cab car, I believe the controls are removed though and used for special occasions, many NHL teams hire it when traveling away from home.

Looking at the photos, I'd be better off adapting an old Bachmann Metroliner car into that one - assuming I can find any more of them on this side of the Atlantic.......

As regards 10001, the revised window arrangements are shown below, with an untouched original for comparison.

Hasn't turned out too bad, though a couple of the windows need a little bit more work. Can at least get on with the open rear platform now.

Offline Intercity

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 04:02:13 pm »
Good start, looking forward to seeing the progress on this, what are you using as filler for the body sides where to moved the windows? Looking to see what might be best for a TGS-BFO conversion.
Support crowdfunding - itís the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, letís make it happen.

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 06:13:40 pm »
Good start, looking forward to seeing the progress on this, what are you using as filler for the body sides where to moved the windows? Looking to see what might be best for a TGS-BFO conversion.

I blanked off the windows I didn't need on the inside with thin plasticard and then used some plastic strip of a suitable size glued in to fill as much as the window space as possible.  Any remaining holes/gaps were then filled with some normal DiY filler - actually some rather cheap stuff from Poundland, of all things.   Despite the fact it was cheap - ie a big tube for £1 - I've found it to be very good for filling jobs on N and OO models, but I certainly wouldn't consider using it on my G scale stuff though - thats a job for decent auto bodywork filler!

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 07:36:28 pm »
Hi

Outstanding work!
Window treatment is amazing!
Just perfect!
I can't wait to see more of your work.
Please keep updating me on this project!!

Dats

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 05:14:22 pm »
Not a particularly brilliant photo, but this is what I have ended up with........

I have simplified the observation platform area as it was being a  :censored: to try and recreate the original in N.
The same applies to the various lighting attachments on the rear of the car, there just being a couple of painted on red rear markers at the moment. If I find any OO scale motor vehicle sidelights of a suitable size, I may add them as the roof mounted spotlights on the car.

As I have no Amtrak equivalent paint, let alone decals, I have simplified the car livery as well. The silver is Tamiya Flat Aluminum whilst the blue is B&Q Moody Blue domestic paint!!  I had the latter "in stock" as it matches the blue used on the Linea Belgrano Sur rolling stock out of Buenos Aires which has provided inspiration for some G Scale stock on my garden railway.
The token red pinstriping is from some self-adhesive stripes which are intended for radio controlled cars, but which I also use on G Scale stock!

On to an unpowered SPV-2000 next........

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 12:06:23 am »
Not a particularly brilliant photo, but this is what I have ended up with........

As I have no Amtrak equivalent paint, let alone decals, I have simplified the car livery as well. The silver is Tamiya Flat Aluminum whilst the blue is B&Q Moody Blue domestic paint!!  I had the latter "in stock" as it matches the blue used on the Linea Belgrano Sur rolling stock out of Buenos Aires which has provided inspiration for some G Scale stock on my garden railway.
The token red pinstriping is from some self-adhesive stripes which are intended for radio controlled cars, but which I also use on G Scale stock!

I do not know if Model Master paint is available in your area? but if it is,

Mix ...
2pt MM 4742 Insignia Blue
1pt MM 4866 Ocean Gray
To create Amtrak Blue

Mix ...
1pt MM 4633 Stop Light Red
1pt MM 4629 Chevy Engine Red
To create Amtrak Red

Per Microscale the best match for Platinum Mist is Vallejo Model Color Silver Grey 70.883

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vallejo-Model-Color-Silver-Grey-70-883-152-17ml-Acrylic-Paint/142088750578?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41451%26meid%3D66b6279ee2e24c0a8094788332ab132b%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D131836790869&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

I'm not an expert on Amtrak, but Microscale does produce Amtrak decal sets in N scale. Here is a page listing both HO and N scale Amtrak decals.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MD&Category_Code=AMTK&Product_Code=&Search=&Sort_By=newest&Per_Page=-1

Hopefully this information is helpful?

As for the car, I think you nailed it, very nice  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:09:07 am by Rich_S »
Cheers,
Rich S.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 12:17:37 am »
What a great project! You've done a very good job, and turned an old coach into a unique model. Very impressive indeed.  :thumbsup:

Without trying to be cheeky, looking at the photo of the prototype would suggest you may like to blacken the wheels a bit?  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 05:14:04 am »
What a great project! You've done a very good job, and turned an old coach into a unique model. Very impressive indeed.  :thumbsup:

Without trying to be cheeky, looking at the photo of the prototype would suggest you may like to blacken the wheels a bit?  :beers:

Yes the wheels do need blackening, plus the Rapido couplers will be swapped for some Microtrains ones as well as most of my Amtrak stock is fitted with knuckles of one sort or another.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything