Never mind the detail - what about the detail packs?

Started by silly moo, December 30, 2017, 02:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silly moo

I have just got a beautiful little Farish 3MT tank from a forum member, it is exquisitely detailed and comes with a detail pack which includes vacuum pipes, fireman's tools and host of other small parts.

I thought I'd have a go at fitting some details but my courage has failed me because I fear I would make a right mess of the model. I've rescued a few secondhand 00 models that have been plastered with superglue but N gauge models are really tiny. The vacuum pipes will probably foul the couplings anyway.

I wonder how many of the details actually get fitted or do the rest of you have more courage than I do?

:confused2:

austinbob

I'm afraid I'm with you, never had the courage or inclination to fit the details.
To be honest, at normal viewing distance, I doubt many people would notice if they're fitted or not.
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Delboy

I agree with austinbob.
Would any rivet counters like to comment?
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Bob G

I have to agree - in part at least.

Details which i do fit - discs, and vac pipes, snowploughs, etc where there is a no front coupling option (e.g. classes 33, 42, 52)

Details which i do not fit - larger size front bogie wheels which are for display purposes only, front ladders which would get caught up in said front bogies when they negotiate curves, etc

Interestingly i just got an OO Dapol Western in Rails sale. It comes without nameplates fitted so i can fit the ones of my choice (nice). there are fine guide dots on the model to show you where to put the nameplates.
Most of the separate bits come with a warning - for display purposes only. Fit them and the model wont run on trainset curves.

Details which i would like to see and are almost never supplied- discs for steam locos. GWR reporting boxes, etc.

Happy new year

Bob

Yet_Another

So far, I've taken 'ready to run' literally. I might get round to doing some, but as my layout will be dismountable, and all stock will have to be put on & taken off each session, bits will inevitably go missing.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

port perran

I agree. All those tiny parts are simply too small for me and I sure would't see them at normal viewing distance.
I too would be afraid of messing things up.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

rogerdB

The parts are too small for me, too. I spent ages yesterday trying to fit the details to the driver's end of an autocoach. Got some in place and was trying to fit the tail lamp when it jumped out of my tweezers into a black hole, never to be seen again. And I doubt that the bits that I did fit will stay in place for long. As some of you might know, I do like photographing my models and that's when the lack of details becomes noticeable. But otherwise I doubt that they're worth the time and trouble of fitting them.

Skyline2uk

The only "extra" details I have ever fitted are etched name plates. Alas these are not often supplied now.

However, I have now started sourcing plates from third parties, plus depot plaques and arrows as needed.

For me this is a simple job that lifts the model and of course doesn't interfere with running.

Skyline2uk

silly moo

I agree about nameplates, they make a real difference, I ordered a set in August but still no sign of them (but that's another topic)

I've also lost a few bits after they pinged off my tweezers, never to be seen again. The trouble is they are too small to hold between your fingers, I've also tried sticking them to a blob of blue tack and trying to manoeuvre that.

The 3MT is a Southern Region loco and has headcode discs but attaching them to an N gauge lamp iron is not easy either, I may try making some out of a self adhesive label.

port perran

Quote from: silly moo on December 30, 2017, 03:12:27 PM
I agree about nameplates, they make a real difference, I ordered a set in August but still no sign of them (but that's another topic)

I've also lost a few bits after they pinged off my tweezers, never to be seen again. The trouble is they are too small to hold between your fingers, I've also tried sticking them to a blob of blue tack and trying to manoeuvre that.

The 3MT is a Southern Region loco and has headcode discs but attaching them to an N gauge lamp iron is not easy either, I may try making some out of a self adhesive label.
I like the idea of SR headcode discs and akso thought about making them from sticky labels. They are so small though. My first attempt, a couple of years ago didn't look too bad until I took a close up photo . Very difficult to make them round!
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

thebrighton

Quote from: Delboy on December 30, 2017, 02:24:08 PM
I agree with austinbob.
Would any rivet counters like to comment?
Any need for the derogatory 'rivet counters' comment apart from trying to provoke a response?
Yes, I like to fit the extras but respect those that don't want to. I fail to see why it appears to be something to ridicule. I don't criticise anything you do and would never dream of doing so and therefore find your post insulting to all those that like to go the extra mile, after all this hobby covers a vast range of abilities, expectations and enjoyment that comes from a multitude of different things. If people didn't push for more accurate models we'd all still be running old Farish locos with pizza cutter wheels and a generic chassis, perhaps some would welcome this.
You may be saying it in gest but you hung out the bait and I have bitten!
I'm sick and tired of anyone who does anything beyond what is offered RTR being labelled a rivet counter.

njee20

^^ agreed.

I fit them when I get around to it, but I don't see why there's any need for derogatory comments.

guest6107

I haven't even the nerve to glue the number plates on the Japanese locomotives I've acquired!

silly moo

I wouldn't worry about the 'Rivet Counter' remark, a lot of us would like to have your skill and dexterity.

austinbob

Quote from: njee20 on December 30, 2017, 03:29:18 PM
^^ agreed.

I fit them when I get around to it, but I don't see why there's any need for derogatory comments.

I doubt Delboy meant his post to be derogatory - Rivet counter could equally well be construed as just describing someone who likes detail.
I always classed myself as a rivet counter when modelling EM gauge and used to add whatever details I could within my abilities. N gauge is a different kettle of fish for me. Detail parts are small, easy to lose and difficult for me to fit. However if others enjoy the detailed stuff then good on emm!!
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations