Invasion of Privacy!!!

Started by Mr Sprue, December 26, 2017, 04:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NinOz

The paranoia over camera equipped multicopters is astounding. :o
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Intercity

For those that like the hose idea take a look on you tube for firefighters down drone with firehouse, pretty good and a good example of how these things are a PITA

MalcolmInN

and this is just a model railway forum,
think what could go wrong if it were at the UN,
or the EU parliament.

The Q

Quote from: ozzie Bill. on December 26, 2017, 10:29:07 PM
+1 for a hosepipe. There are no laws, as far as I know, regarding the use of domestic water spraying. With the right jet you can get a decent distance ............. .
Have fun!
With the water pressure round here I'm lucky to water the garden.

Bob G

Quote from: The Q on December 27, 2017, 08:56:30 AM
Quote from: ozzie Bill. on December 26, 2017, 10:29:07 PM
+1 for a hosepipe. There are no laws, as far as I know, regarding the use of domestic water spraying. With the right jet you can get a decent distance ............. .
Have fun!
With the water pressure round here I'm lucky to water the garden.

Jet washer with lance....

rogerdB

I found a nice example of drone footage the other day, obviously shot by someone who knows how to fly the thing. Crowcombe Heathfield station on the WSR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXO4YrXJZGw

zwilnik

Quote from: Snowwolflair on December 26, 2017, 09:03:35 PM
I suspect that an air rifle is not a wise choice as they are restricted in law and someone would try to find you at fault.

However

A paint ball gun, of a low power below the legally specified "power" I'm sure is another matter, as would the numerous foam dart guns, some of which pack quite a punch at close range (and you can fire a salvo).  :D  There is even one that fires a net with a Spiderman branding.

As far as where you can shoot them, I think that drones are subject to the law of trespass, but there are others who may know better on this.

I would say that picking that particular time to water the lawn and the hose just happened to be pointing in the air as you turned it on.

My brother mentioned to me earlier in the year that where he lives in Spain, the local criminals have taken to using drones to check in on blocks of flats to have a peak in windows to see who's in and what's worth nicking.

mattycoops43

Quote from: Mr Sprue on December 26, 2017, 08:10:04 PM
Quote from: Lindi on December 26, 2017, 07:11:29 PM
Air weapon law (taken from the government web site) states

"It is an offence for any person to use an air weapon for firing a pellet beyond the boundaries of any premises."

I would suggest that the more serious offence was that committed by Mr Sprue and not the drone operator as he was the one who potentially endangered lives. It a pellet did hit the drone, the drone could cause injury to somebody when it dropped out of the sky.   

Firstly had you read my post the air rifle was not loaded, I merely enacted the motions of loading and fired off compressed air!

Secondly if it was flying within my boundary's of which it was and if I was callous I had every right to end this machines flight.

Thirdly as probably someone like yourself whom has a passion for modeling the reason it was able to fly back to its pilot!  ;)

Last of all some Air rifle etiquette  ;)

At the end of the day
Always leave your shoot in the condition in which you would like to find it. Make sure that you collect all your equipment. It is courteous to thank the landowner and to offer him something from the bag if you have shot any edible quarry. Take care of your edible quarry – remember it is food, store it in a cool place and never waste it. Non-edible quarry should be disposed of discreetly, carefully and should not create a health hazard. This is a legal requirement. Under most circumstances deep burial beyond the reach of a carnivorous animal would be appropriate. The displaying of carcasses on fences or on a gamekeeper's "gibbet" serves no useful purpose and may offend other countryside users.

OK, I completely agree with you they are annoying. However, speaking as someone who had a shotgun license, I think you need to be very careful. He has footage of you pointing your air rifle into the air and firing it at his drone, which would have been reasonably expected to cause a pellet to leave your premises. An air rifle has no muzzle flash or smoke, so I am wondering, if he reports you to the police for firearms offences, how you will prove it was not loaded when you pointed it at his camera?

As I said, I am completely understanding how annoying it is, but the law these days is under the impression that no one should be allowed any type of weapon for any reason, and it is ALWAYS on us to prove that we have done nothing wrong. I just think you are leaving yourself open to grief.

I like the nerf gun idea! I have a battery driven one and it is highly accurate and powerful. It hurts when it hits, so a couple of those hitting a drone would probably cause some issues.

Matt

zwilnik

Theoretically, if it's close enough a well aimed party popper should take out a drone as the streamers only need to tangle a single rotor. Reload a party popper with nylon thread attached to small beads (and double charge it with the charge from a 2nd one) and it would be a pretty effective personal anti-drone device :)

rogerdB

Quote from: Lindi on December 27, 2017, 11:52:59 AM
Quote from: rogerdB on December 27, 2017, 10:23:56 AM
I found a nice example of drone footage the other day, obviously shot by someone who knows how to fly the thing. Crowcombe Heathfield station on the WSR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXO4YrXJZGw

And doesn't this invade the privacy of those who own houses near to the station!

Including a cousin of mine. But he, and presumably other residents, was told in advance that filming would take place.

Intercity

One thing to bear in mind when using a drone if it is public permitted space (that includes areas designated for flying, we have exceptions over here) thare isn't much you can do, once it crosses in the property boundary then its a whole different issue, and the invasion of privacy comes into play, many law enforcement will want documented proof of its harassing nature (photos with a structure or object as a reference point are useful), the Laws aren't defined enough to protect either party (the pilot for what may or may not be invasion, or the "victim" who destroys it over his/her own property).

Drones usually return to the pilot, some by themselves so the area can be tracked down, if the owner lives there they will fly again, make a paper trail and you will have evidence of harrassment and invasion of privacy.

as I said before, these things are a PITA (except for the responsible fliers and there are many of them, but common courtesy and respect are key to becoming one)

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Zwilnik on December 27, 2017, 01:35:25 PM
Theoretically, if it's close enough a well aimed party popper should take out a drone as the streamers only need to tangle a single rotor. Reload a party popper with nylon thread attached to small beads (and double charge it with the charge from a 2nd one) and it would be a pretty effective personal anti-drone device :)

Nice idea but you would need a black powder licence to do that (and the rest).  Not easy to get these days, in the past you just went into a police station and filled in a form.

zwilnik

Quote from: Snowwolflair on December 27, 2017, 06:31:49 PM
Quote from: Zwilnik on December 27, 2017, 01:35:25 PM

Nice idea but you would need a black powder licence to do that (and the rest).  Not easy to get these days, in the past you just went into a police station and filled in a form.

AFAIK party poppers are legally available in the UK without a license and setting them off in your own garden (as long as it's not aimed at a person) would be very difficult to claim to be any sort of offence.

mark100

Iv'e seen these mini drones for sale in Maplins and the hover blades on top look seriously dangerous.

My best advice is that if it appears again, phone the police and make a complaint of harassment.

I would be concerned if something was hovering over my work place, It would make me think that it was being monitored to be burgled after I had left.

It won't be long before they get banned in the UK for assisting in Crime

You cant get better than a Betta Fish

themadhippy

party poppers??? no no no,handheld streamer cannons are what you want. no license or explosives  needed
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations