!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: curved turnouts  (Read 269 times)

Offline clayton4115

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
curved turnouts
« on: December 28, 2017, 08:41:45 am »
hi all

does anyone know why Kato do not make curved turnouts? I really miss curved turnouts as the limited space i have would do wonders to start my yard / staging yard earlier, would any other brand of curved turnouts work well with the kato n track ? if so which ones

thanks

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: curved turnouts
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 10:24:59 am »
I realise that this does not answer your specific question about joining curved turnouts to Kato, but may be of some use.
As far as I am aware, any track will connect to the Kato track. All you have to do is remove the Kato joiner and substitute with an 'ordinary' joiner, plus build up the other track bed so the rail height is the same.  Kato do a specific piece - 20-045 - for connecting to other track. As to why Kato do not do a curved point/turnout - good question.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 10:39:54 am »
thanks David, yea it begs the question why they do not offer the curved turnout, so i could use peco or atlas curved turnout and it should work, just raise their roadbed to be even with kato ?

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 10:43:18 am »
I've used Peco, Fleischmann and Minitrix curved points with Kato also a Mnitrix double slip, as posted by Danny boy other makes of rail joiners can be used with a bit of packing to adjust rail heights as necessary.
The Fleischmann track "with bedding" i.e simulated ballast, is probably the closest in appearance and can be bpought as manual or with a point motor that clips onto the side of the point; they can be mounted upside down and sunk into the baseboard in that case you need a left hand motor on a right hand point as turning them upside down reverses the position of the operating lever.

https://www.fleischmann.de/en/productsearch/0-0-0-0-0-0-0-005008/products.html
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 10:45:17 am »
Hi,

I might be wrong on this but if you look at Railsquid's layout Eigatani Tetsudo which he posted just before your original post, I presume they are Tomix curved points and there is a specially made Kato to Tomix connector track piece.

Hope helps.

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 08:39:40 pm by weave »

Offline clayton4115

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 08:38:33 pm »
thanks guys! will check out the tomix points

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31