!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fairway Junction  (Read 2909 times)

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Fairway Junction
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2018, 05:30:15 pm »
Oh, just to note also, I used tracing paper to cover the windows, and black paper for some. This is so that when I install lights the tracing paper shows the room is lit, but you can't see the bulb, and the blacked out windows don't light up. I drill or punch holes in the bottom of all my buildings and when everything is in the right place I will run Christmas tree lights (LEDs) underneath the base board, feeding them through the holes where needed and covering any I don't need with black insulation tape. This seemed to me to be the simplest way of lighting inside the buildings without any fiddly wiring. Street lights are a different story, but I do have some very fine LED Christmas lights which might work for that (the kind you're supposed to scrunch up in an artistic fashion and place inside a vase !).
Ive just purchased 3 sets of Christmas LEDs from Hobbycraft in the post Christmas Sale. They are for the buildings in Port Perran. Holes are already drilled. I just have to pop the bulbs up through. No messy electrics just a new battery every now and then. Plus........I can make it look as if each house is having a disco if I want!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2018, 06:01:30 pm »
Oh, just to note also, I used tracing paper to cover the windows, and black paper for some. This is so that when I install lights the tracing paper shows the room is lit, but you can't see the bulb, and the blacked out windows don't light up. I drill or punch holes in the bottom of all my buildings and when everything is in the right place I will run Christmas tree lights (LEDs) underneath the base board, feeding them through the holes where needed and covering any I don't need with black insulation tape. This seemed to me to be the simplest way of lighting inside the buildings without any fiddly wiring. Street lights are a different story, but I do have some very fine LED Christmas lights which might work for that (the kind you're supposed to scrunch up in an artistic fashion and place inside a vase !).
Ive just purchased 3 sets of Christmas LEDs from Hobbycraft in the post Christmas Sale. They are for the buildings in Port Perran. Holes are already drilled. I just have to pop the bulbs up through. No messy electrics just a new battery every now and then. Plus........I can make it look as if each house is having a disco if I want!

Or even the whole town can have a disco with the right setting on the lights !!

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2018, 09:42:32 am »
Completed the back wall of the platform and coloured all the building corners etc. Final result (don't zoom in too much !):

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2018, 09:49:38 am »
I just did zoom in and it all looks ok to me, mate  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2018, 10:49:33 pm »
 :hellosign:  Looking good to me, thanks for the updates
      regards Derek.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 09:18:18 am »
I just did zoom in and it all looks ok to me, mate  :thumbsup:
I zoomed in too. Looks great to me.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2018, 11:18:33 pm »
Not much going on this week. Platform 1 of the main station finished and some embellishments (signs and posters etc.):

And the beginnings of the retaining wall for the tunnel, still fiddling but starting to take shape:

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2018, 01:12:26 pm »
NPN - you would think Kato could resolve the issue somehow? But I suppose their own rolling stock
, so no need to worry about it in Japan?
That is what I was told by a member in Japan when I had a moan about the #4 defect !

That was probably me ;)

I have yet to hear anyone in Japan complain about it, and Japanese modellers are as vociferous as anyone when it comes to complaining about actual and/or apparent defects ;)

I will mention it to Mr. Kato should I ever bump into him again.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2018, 05:21:41 pm »
Retaining wall and tunnel portal no.1 coming along nicely. Metcalfe retaining wall kits, with an added bit at the bottom for extra height and bashed around a bit with some "concrete" from the free ScaleScenes "Inspection Pit" download for the tunnel portal support:

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2018, 05:28:53 pm »
Finished the retaining wall etc. today, including the "shed" for Britannia.

The finished wall and tunnel portals:

And with the top removed (it all comes away in one piece, including the top section of the retaining walls:

Britannia enters the siding via the engine shed:

And is then hidden away under the tunnel:

Some scenery needed for the top of the tunnel now - a church, and a farm on a hill....

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2018, 06:54:20 pm »

:hmmm: There's no way that loco will fit. :idea: Unless, this particular engine shed is related to a certain police call box. :D

Seriously though, very nice work and clever construction. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2018, 07:11:40 pm »

:hmmm: There's no way that loco will fit. :idea: Unless, this particular engine shed is related to a certain police call box. :D

And all because Britannia can't get into my fiddle yard via the Kato #4 points, so I had to find somewhere else for her to live !

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2018, 07:56:36 pm »

And all because Britannia can't get into my fiddle yard via the Kato #4 points, so I had to find somewhere else for her to live !
It sounds like a pretty neat solution to me :thumbsup:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline kierang

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2018, 09:04:21 pm »
Not much going on at Fairway Junction.

A newspaper hill has appeared, upon which a church will eventually sit, with a farm yard at the bottom of the retaining wall:

And, a bus depot has been constructed at the other end of the layout:

Real-world work keeps getting in the way, I'm thinking this might be a long-term construction project !

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2018, 11:50:44 pm »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign: steady progress looking good
       regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00