!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: SBB pendelzug announced by Piko  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
SBB pendelzug announced by Piko
« on: December 03, 2017, 01:45:47 am »
SBB RBe railcar, EW stock and driving trailers... now promised from Piko for 2018 onwards...

Pretty irritating because then there will be 3 manufacturers' versions of decent models of EW I/II (Lima/Minibahn/Minitrain/Arnold and Brawa and Piko) - all slightly different, plus two manufacturers' decent models of RBe (Arnold and Piko)...and of course Piko are not going to issue the driving trailers separately from the RBe railcars, irritating and costly for those of us who invested in 4 or more Arnold RBe's!
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Re: SBB pendelzug announced by Piko
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 08:11:53 am »
Thanks for the heads up Gordon.

I note in the Google translation of the webpage announcement on the Neisser Modelleisenbahnen site it states

"Piko will now be implementing the complete RBe 4/4 commuter trains in the coming years."

I wonder how many years that may turn out to be! And of course no indication of price is mentioned.

But at least there will be choice - eventually, and if the other manufacturers models are still available when these get issued.

Original webpage I found is here:

http://www.neisser-modelleisenbahnen.ch/piko-die-naechste-schweizer-top-neuheit-der-komplette-sbb-rbe-44-pendelzug-in-spur-h0-und-spur-n/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 08:19:00 am by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:45:56 am »
Very sensibly the roll out plan has already been put forward, helping customers to pre-plan (unlike Kato with the RhB 150 which we don't know whether to carry on kitbashing or wait for the next 'ready to run' item.

Plan is:

94160 RBe 540 + BDt EW II NPZ

94390 2 coach set SBB NPZ EW I A + B plug doors IV/2020
94391 2 coach set SBB NPZ EW I A (ex B) + B plug doors IV/2020

94161 SBB RBe 4/4 'Seetal' type cab front + BDt green with red front , II/2020
94392 2 coach set SBB EW I green with SBB CFF FFS logo (AFAIK), A + B, IV/2020
94393 2 coach set EW I 2nd + WR Le Buffet Suisse, IV/2020

European railway expert

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 08:36:21 am »
Many thanks for that detail Gordon. Plenty of time to plan ..... and save! :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 01:24:31 pm »
Idly scanning the main sellers in Germany I came across this page on Wilhelm Schmidt's shop website that lists the first three of the new Piko items mentioned in your list Gordon, with discounted pre-order prices and the comment "Estimated date of delivery:  2.Q. 2018". It also shows a digital version of the RBe 540 and Steuerwagen, model no 94162.

However, they are not listed under the Piko section of his sales lists, but as 'NH 604 CH exclusive' with the model numbers as, for instance, 'Piko Art no. 604 94160'

https://www.schmidt-wissen.de/Neuheiten/Neuheiten-Ankuendigungen/NH/NH-604-CH-Exclusiv/?lang=1

Are these the same models? If so, seemingly the models will be released earlier than envisaged, with the RBe 540 and Steuerwagen DC version at a discounted pre-order price (up to the end of this year) of €339.98 ( currently about £301.00).

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 10:54:22 am »
Arwico, who will be distributing these models to the various dealers have confused matters by giving each one of the four versions of the RBe540/RBe4/4 a different reference number.
94160 = RBe540 NPZ
94161 = RBe4/4 Seetal
94162 = RBe540 NPZ DCC Sound
94163 = RBe4/4 Seetal DCC Sound

Piko just refer to the models as 94160 and 94161 with 94160S and 94161S being the DCC Sound versions.

In the case of Schmidt they also appear to have their own additional reference number prefix with NH probably meaning "neuheiten" and 604 being their code for Piko. If you look through Schmidt's website you will see that each manufacturer has a different code prefixing their new items. e.g. Roco = NH 601

As for the earlier release date I personally think that this is a mistake although I would really like to be proven wrong. All other dealers that are listing these models are quoting the much later dates.
John

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 11:17:10 am »
Thanks John. :thumbsup:

As with many of these things, time will tell.

Secondary question:
When it comes to build quality, accuracy etc, are Piko models worth the extra cost over other makers such as Fleischmann, Kato, Hobbytrain and Trix?

:hmmm: - perhaps this should be a question forming a new thread, as it would be nice to get opinions of all Continental brands as regards price versus build quality etc.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 11:50:40 am »
When it comes to build quality, accuracy etc, are Piko models worth the extra cost over other makers such as Fleischmann, Kato, Hobbytrain and Trix?

Personally I would rate modern production Piko about the same as the others you mention in terms of detail and performance. The few Piko items I have seem perfectly good, but I don't consider them to have been around long enough to get a real feel for longevity of mechanism etc.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 06:28:48 pm »

Personally I would rate modern production Piko about the same as the others you mention in terms of detail and performance. The few Piko items I have seem perfectly good, but I don't consider them to have been around long enough to get a real feel for longevity of mechanism etc.

Yes, I agree Nick.
I only have a Piko Ae3/6 and a Stadler GTW 2/6 and both appear to be of a similar quality to the more well-known brands. The Piko models of Swiss prototypes do tend to be more expensive but I suppose that's the price you pay when you want something that isn't produced by the big boys.
John

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 06:43:07 pm »
I only have a Piko Ae3/6 and a Stadler GTW 2/6

I bought a 2nd hand Stadler, a nice bit of kit and cost me £78 in Oct 2014 (I'd forgotten it was that long ago!)  It even came with a Loksound decoder fitted (not mentioned in the ebay listing!) I've removed that for now and reverted to DC.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 07:34:43 pm »
I'm looking to buy an Ae 3/6 from Piko's selection sometime in the Spring to pull my Brawa EW II coaches, but I must admit the price has me hesitating (SRP €280 but can be less at some suppliers).
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 08:57:55 pm »
I'm looking to buy an Ae 3/6 from Piko's selection sometime in the Spring to pull my Brawa EW II coaches, but I must admit the price has me hesitating (SRP €280 but can be less at some suppliers).
Yeah, seen them at around 245 euros - but still ouch!  Makes my mate's Fulgurex version seem not so pricey!

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 11:45:06 pm »

:hmmm: - perhaps this should be a question forming a new thread, as it would be nice to get opinions of all Continental brands as regards price versus build quality etc.

AFAIR we have already covered this s few times?

European railway expert

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 11:52:15 pm »
Yeah, seen them at around 245 euros - but still ouch!  Makes my mate's Fulgurex version seem not so pricey!

I think I've said this before in another thread:
I'm fed up with Piko's pricing policy these days - far too expensive, when Fleischmann prices seem to have almost gone down in real terms, IMO the Piko A3/6 is stupidly overpriced. I wouldn't mind but the spoked wheels are not 'see through', which they should be if such a 'prestige' price is being charged.

Mike, I would recommend you get one of the Hag Ae4/7s from Geoff at Contikits - £245 for a 'prestige' product.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:55:54 pm by Gordon »

European railway expert

Online daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 09:29:23 am »
Thanks Gordon, I'll take a look at Contikits latest stock list after the New Year. :thumbsup:

You are quite right - I'll search the Forum for brand comparison details rather than start a new thread.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here