Tanktainers

Started by kirky, December 02, 2017, 03:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: PostModN66 on December 02, 2017, 03:37:42 PM
Nice work Kirky,

Here's mine - BHE kit and home made transfers

Cheers Jon  :)

Can I ask what the prototypical length of that would be and what sort of wagon would carry it, Jon?
There is a fellow member seeking a 20ft container and wagon @Lawrence

kirky

@newportnobby Pretty sure they're 20ft prototypically.
They fit any standard road rail or sea container carriers, so for rail, FEA, FYA, KQA etc etc

cheers
Kiky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

njee20

Yes, it doesn't in any way help Lawrence. They're just ISO container sized.

Newportnobby

Quote from: kirky on December 03, 2017, 10:34:08 AM
They fit any standard road rail or sea container carriers, so for rail, FEA, FYA, KQA etc etc

cheers
Kirky

Thanks, Kirky. Can I ask who makes FEA/FYA/KQA wagons as there are none on the Farish site and I'm totally clueless when it comes to these acronyms?

NTrain

My model is the 30ft Rugby Cement version, but I could add a full frame as an alternative.

I also do a lorry kit and container trailer for off track use

Newportnobby

Quote from: newportnobby on December 03, 2017, 10:41:13 AM
Quote from: kirky on December 03, 2017, 10:34:08 AM

cheers
Kirky

Thanks, Kirky. Can I ask who makes FEA/FYA/KQA wagons as there are none on the Farish site and I'm totally clueless when it comes to these acronyms?

I think I may have answered my own question as I believe the 3 quoted are 60ft intermodals which are too long for the layout.
Is it possible the tanktainers would have been carried on short wheel based wagons (either flat or open) and could they have been craned on/off?

kirky

Quote from: NTrain on December 03, 2017, 10:51:53 AM
My model is the 30ft Rugby Cement version, but I could add a full frame as an alternative.

I also do a lorry kit and container trailer for off track use

@NTrain
Ah, I hadnt realised it was 30 footer. Id still be interested tho.
Any chance of doing varieties in the more common 20 foot?

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

westie7

Whisky tanktainers were carried on 30ft FBB low ride height FL flats. The Farish AB can be modified for this.

20ft ISO tanktainers were also occasionally carried on PFA (Cawoods/BR Fuels) flats.

Rgds
Mark

Newportnobby

Quote from: westie7 on December 03, 2017, 12:49:17 PM
Whisky tanktainers were carried on 30ft FBB low ride height FL flats. The Farish AB can be modified for this.

20ft ISO tanktainers were also occasionally carried on PFA (Cawoods/BR Fuels) flats.

Rgds
Mark

@Lawrence
Thanks Mark :thumbsup:

Rob H

I've just ordered 5 x tanktainers and transfers from C-rail.

Would these only go on 60ft chassis or is it possible to get 20ft chassis for them to sit on ? I've looked on the Peco site but they seem to only go up to 15ft.

If they are available where can i get them from please ?

Rob.
They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

njee20

You can get kits of PFA wagons, which were designed for a single 20' coal container. I'm not aware of them being used more widely, and can't see why it would happen given the proliferation of FFA/FGA FSA, FEA etc all with 60' loading deck. However Mark says it happened occasionally.

Edit: can you just pass me some of that humble pie?

I also forgot about the MOD using PFAs with 20' ISO containers, which would be of interest to Lawrence.

NTrain

Tank container being uploaded to Shapeways now...........

westie7

Can't find the pic, probably on an old fotopic archive 😂 But the 20ft iso tank I saw on a PFA was branded Omya

Rob H

They say that love is more important than money but have you ever tried to pay a bill with a hug ?

westie7

I would ask if that MOD PFA (25) is the white metal kit?
You want the plastic kit Coal PFA chassis.

Send Arran a message just to make sure

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations