A Cornish Christmas Mystery

Started by port perran, November 21, 2017, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

Quote from: port perran on January 08, 2018, 08:21:30 PM
the novels of Edward Marston (if you know him).
Marston's railway detective seriies is very readable and set in the 1850s. Well worth a try if you haven't come across his work.

Thank you for an excellent story Martin. Whilst reading the different chapters, I kept thinking of 'The Railway Detective' - I am currently reading the penultimate book, so, no more Chandler and Timms from port perran and not much more Colbeck and Leeming from Edward Marston. :'(.  As Mito alluded to, you have plenty of time to think of an Easter story ................  ???
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

TrevL

Thanks very much, really enjoyable.  I missed  the closing date for the poll unfortunately, I'd planned to put "other", but to be honest, I didn't have a clue.  Easter mystery would be good.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Ian Morton

Have you sold the film rights yet?

weave

Thank you Martin,

Really enjoyed that. I missed the 'whodunnit' poll too but then I'm rubbish at that and probably would have got it wrong anyway which is probably why I still like Columbo.

You're probably all quilled out before Easter but a Summer Mystery would be great. Maybe?

Thanks again,

Cheers weave  :beers:

Delboy

Hi Martin,
Thanks for an excellent tale. I started to read the first 2 chapters as you wrote them and then decided to wait until you had finished the story before reading the rest. It was excellent to read the whole story line from start to finish just now. Didn't see the vicar being the culprit. Well done.
Look forward to more mysteries from you in the future.
Cheers.
:thumbsup:
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Train Waiting

Thank you John.
It was inspired by both Agatha Christie and the novels of Edward Marston (if you know him).
Marston's railway detective seriies is very readable and set in the 1850s. Well worth a try if you haven't come across his work.

Many thanks, Martin.

I have not heard of Mr Marston (until now).  I'll make a point of finding his books.

I do like Agatha Christie and Margery Allingham, though.  And, more up to date, Colin Dexter.

All the best.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

MalcolmInN

Marston’s railway detective seriies is very readable and set in the 1850s. Well worth a try if you haven’t come across his work.
Thanks, no I had not, but per your suggestion - this morning postmanpat delivered me my first two :) and am now 1/2 way thro' "The Railway Viaduct" :)

cornish yorkie

:hellosign: Many thanks Martin, a very enjoyable story
      regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

themadhippy

QuoteI kept thinking of 'The Railway Detective' - I am currently reading the penultimate book,
Once youve finished the series the home front detective series  is worth a look.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

dannyboy

@MalcolmAL  I started with 'The Railway Viaduct' and was hooked. I then scoured around to read the series from book 1 - they all follow on chronologically, following the detectives through life. Amazon is a good source to look, most of the series I bought for £2/£2.50p each.

@themadhippy I have to agree. I only have the last 'Railway Detective' to find but have read 'Five Canaries', one of the 'Home Front' series. I hunted around and found books 1 and 2, so I am reading that series from the beginning.

Am now awaiting Book 2 in the 'Cornish Mystery' series. (Hint hint) @port perran
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: dannyboy on January 13, 2018, 03:44:23 PM
they all follow on chronologically, following the detectives through life.
Good point, you must be telepathic, I was about to ask about that :) I'll go do some googling to find the list.

Like when we had to dive back in time from half way through Patrick O'Brian / Capt. Aubrey when Patrick realised he had started too late in the Captain's life and had to write some prequels !

MalcolmInN

Quote from: dannyboy on January 13, 2018, 03:44:23 PMI started with 'The Railway Viaduct'
follow on chronologically,
I found the bibliography and turns out that we are not too temporally disoriented, the other one that I bought 'on the spur' was #2"The Excursion Train" which swmbo is reading at the mo..

My verdict on Viaduct - a bit disjointed and episodic to begin (1/3) [with overtones of Deus ex Machina /controlling mind dictating what he says next] but eventually got into its stride and was well enjoyed.

However I expected,
spoiler alert - tear here and digest anyone not yet reading --
Luke Rogan to be shot much earlier than Sir Thingumy Whatsit got a rountuit,
a little hastily ended perhaps ?

If Sir Whatsit was that well connected (and harking back to) the Bonaparte era I expect he could have called upon friends of Blucher to spirit him away into The EU and then would follow a right good romp and merry dance   :) !

Sorry @port perran   I am confounding your topic, praps we should sart a Railway Detective topic somewhere ?

Train Waiting

Quote from: MalcolmAL on January 13, 2018, 03:53:23 PM
Like when we had to dive back in time from half way through Patrick O'Brian / Capt. Aubrey when Patrick realised he had started too late in the Captain's life and had to write some prequels !

I really enjoy the Aubrey/Maturin novels and have rationed myself to one every couple of years to make them last...

Sadly, I did not do this with Jane Austen and just keep re-reading them.

Best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

port perran

I'm just about to finish the latest one entitled A Christmas Railway Mystery (marston must have stolen the name from me) which is excellent.
I've read them all now, they do pop up in 2nd hand bookshops/charity shops quite often.
As Mad Hippy states the Home Front series is also good.
As for another story from me.......well.......maybe - perhaps a Summer one.
We'll see.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Train Waiting

Quote from: port perran on January 14, 2018, 11:48:36 AM
As for another story from me.......well.......maybe - perhaps a Summer one.
We'll see.

That will, hopefully, be something to look forward to.

All the very best.

John

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations