A Cornish Christmas Mystery

Started by port perran, November 21, 2017, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Episode Twenty Eight
Tom Chandler chatted to Charlie Trigg, the landlord, and his daughter for well over an hour and gathered much more information than he had expected. Before leaving, he rang the police station and asked for someone to bring in Sophie Tremaine for questioning. Chandler also said that he wanted a meeting with all police officers involved in the investigation at 7.30 that evening saying that he fully expected to reach a conclusion the following morning.
Chandler left the pub feeling that he now had virtually all the information that he needed.. he was very keen to find out how Alan Timms had got on visiting the valuation office and Eric Truthall's daughter.
The two detectives from Exeter met up for coffee at 4.00. Timms had established that the gold ingot was valued at £550 and that Truthall's daughter had no idea that he would be on the train. Indeed, she had thought that he had taken the bus that day to Redruth to value some gold.
Tom Chandler said to his colleague "Excellent work Alan, that is just the information I was hoping to hear". He then proceeded to relay his findings to Alan Timms. "So....we now know what happened Sir" said "Timms"
"Yes Alan" replied Chandler " I believe we do. I suggest we meet with the local police this evening to see if they have come up with anything we've missed. Not a word about what we know though. Not just yet. I want a word with Sophie Tremaine first"
The meeting with the local detectives didn't throw up much information other than to substantiate a few details and tie up a few loose ends. They agreed to all meet the next morning at 11-00am.
Before retiring to the Wig and Pen for the evening however, Chandler and Timms questioned Sophie Tremaine.
"That went better than I expected" said Chandler to his colleague as they enjoyed their evening meal. "Tomorrow morning, after sleeping on it, I'll go through my theory with you over breakfast. We can then reveal all at the police station at 11-00. We can then leave the locals to make the necessary arrests and we can get back to Exeter"
"Excellent Sir" smiled Alan Timms, "I'm looking forward to getting home".
The two of them finished the evening with frothing pints of beer. "See you in the morning",said Chandler as they headed up to their rooms.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

port perran

Episode Twenty Nine
At breakfast the next morning, the two Exeter detectives compared notes once again. "So Sir, what aroused your interest in the pub landlord?" Enquired Alan Timms."It was his honest nature and genuine interest that grabbed my attention. He convinced me of his good intentions and his want to see justice done. I'd already agreed a reward of twenty pounds with the Divisional Manager for BR if anyone came up with information leading to a conviction. I was happy to trust Charlie Trigg enough to offer him the reward. Hopefully, he will share it with his daughter", replied Tom Chandler. "We'll set off now for the local police station where we are meeting the local force at 11.00. Let me do the talking Alan. We have enough information to allow the local lads to make several convictions".
The pair set off for Truro police station. At 11-00, with some 15 local officers assembled in a semi circle in front of him, Tom Chandler began speaking – "Thank you for coming ladies and gentlemen. I believe that you will find what I have to say most interesting. Alan and I have made various investigations and believe that the following is a true statement of facts. Before I begin, I wish to thank the landlord of the Crab and Ale House, Charlie Trigg, and his daughter Alice. Both have been most helpful with our enquiries".
A hush fell over the room as Tom Chandler continued.........

Ian Morton

Hands up who thought the detectives would be done in during the night...

Gary Burcombe

Train Waiting

I'm ashamed to admit that I have suspicions about the vicar.  I've probably read too much of Dame Agatha over the years, where one must always beware of 'respectable' people.

I'm sure we will know soon and I'm looking forward to the loose ends being firmly knotted together.

Of course, knowing the ending will slightly spoil the TV adaptation next Christmas.  Still, the railway scenes (filmed on the Bodmin line?) will be terrific.  And the beer drinking will remind us of dear old Morse!

Yours in anticipation...

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

port perran

All should be revealed tomorrow.
I've rather run out of time today I'm afraid. Something to do with lovely weather (for a change) and a long countryside walk (with coffee and cakes) this morning.

port perran

Episode Thirty
Tom Chandler continued "last evening, Sergeant Timms and I met with Sophie Tremaine. It appears that Thomas Goldsworthy, who purports to be the vicar at St Euny Church near Redruth is, in fact, Sophie's father. There is no love lost between the two. Furthermore, and as I suspected, the Reverend Thomas Goldsworthy is a fraudster having completely deceived the Bishop of Truro. He has no qualifications as a priest and was only interested in getting his hands on the gold and silver at both the church at St Ives and then St Euny.  He moved from one to the other some six months ago"
"What led you to suspect Goldsworthy?" asked Sergeant Harris. "Oh that was easy" answered Chandler, "in conversation when I first questioned him, he had no real understanding of  book of Exodus, which I deliberately brought into the conversation. I would expect any Church of England vicar to be fully conversant with the bible. Goldsworthy certainly was not. Sophie Tremaine was most helpful in  our conversations. I realise that she is a petty thief but I'm more than willing to overlook that. She told me all about her upbringing, unhappy as it was. She also told me about the day she discovered that her father was not a real priest. I don't need to go into details now but rest assured that it is all fully documented. Sophie was , in my opinion, aboard that train for honest reasons, although she did, as an opportunist thief, take the opportunity to steal two wallets. Which were, as it happens, later returned to their owners. Gentlemen, you can rest assured that Miss Tremaine was not involved directly in the murder of Eric Truthall".
"Let us now delve into the background of Thomas Goldsworthy, particularly his time at the two churches at St Ives and then St Euny. He was well liked by his congregation but that is typical of  the man. He flatters to deceive. Sergeant Timms and I have spoken to many of his flock. All tell the same story of charm but distrust. We must be grateful to the tongue loosening properties of the excellent beer cellar at the Old Crab and Ale House in Truro for more information. Thomas Goldsworthy was far too eager to boast of  his deceptions once several pints had been consumed........ "

port perran

Episode Thirty One
Chandler resumed after a short break for coffee "So....let's move on to what actually happened on the fateful day. As we know all was well initially when the train departed from Truro amidst much celebration.  We know that Eric Truthall was on board with a ticket to Truro. Johnny Pettifer, Lenny Trewithen  and Billy Brunt also boarded at Truro. Sophie Tremaine joined the train at Trepol Bay.It was between Trepol Bay and Port Perran that the train came to a halt due to the communication cord being pulled. We also know that Lenny Trewithen jumped down from the train. We have photographs to that effect. Two knives were retrieved from the lineside just East of Perran Beach Halt, one of which was wrapped in a cloth. A gold ingot was also retrieved from the lineside".
Tom Chandler took a sip of water before continuing "Sergeant Timms and I had a chat with the  bishop of Truro two days ago. Unbeknown to us, and yourself, he was having doubts about the credentials of Thomas Goldsworthy. So much so that one of the bishop's assistants had been asked to delve into his past. Anyway, what none of us had realised was that Goldsworthy was also on the train. The Bishop is a railway enthusiast and had gone to Port Perran to photograph the special train. In the confusion the Bishop saw Goldsworthy, in casual civilian clothing sneak off the train and out of the station". As the importance of this bit of information was realised throughout the room, there was a murmur of conversation. Chandler brought the room back to attention, "The landlord of the Olde Crab and Ale House, being a bit of an amateur sleuth, had rigged up a secret microphone in an upstairs room at the pub where Goldsworthy, Billy Brunt, a chap called Alec Rule who is a local scrap dealer  and Johnny Pettifer, plus a few others used to meet, allegedly to play cards. Alice,the landlord's  daughter was used to flirting with the men up there and had been primed to ask pertinent questions. I won't go into too much detail here but just to say the landlord was certain that Goldsworthy was up to no good and that he'd arranged to pass the gold ingot from St Euny Church to Eric Truthall who would sell it on at auction. Goldsworthy was to pass the gold over to Truthall on the train. Unfortunately, Johnny Pettifer, who was a bit of a loud mouth had passed this snippet of information on to Lenny Trewithen and Billy Brunt. We have all of this on tape which I'll pass on this afternoon".
There was silence  around the room but Sergeant Harris asked, "So....what happened on the train? Surely none of Truthall's so called friends and acquaintances would go as far as to kill him?"
"I'll continue" replied Chandler "Well, a couple of witnesses on the train saw Goldsworthy pass a medium sized package, which appeared to be quite heavy, to Eric Truthall soon after the train left Truro. Both men then went in different directions, Truthall walking towards the front of the train whilst Goldsworthy stayed in the same carriage near to the rear of the train.  You will recall that I mentioned the name of Alec Rule earlier who used to meet up with the others at the Crab and Ale House, well, he was very good friends with Lenny Trewithen. On hearing of the ingot, Rule had agreed to pay Trewithen 200 pounds for the ingot. This information was all overheard by Alice, the landlord's daughter".
Chandler carried on "Sergeant Timms and I have interviewed many of the passengers on the train over the last two days. This is what we believe happened.........."

port perran

Episode Thirty Two
"Eric Truthall made his way to the vestibule between the first and second carriages" reported Tom Chandler, referring quickly to his notebook, "he was followed, a minute or two later by Lenny Trewithen.  Johnny Pettifer was between the two but stopped to buy a beer at the buffet. He dropped his penknife shortly after leaving the buffet. This was picked up by Trewithen shortly  afterwards as noted by a lady sitting just beyond the buffet. This lady, a Mrs Hopkins, became suspicious when first Thomas Goldsworthy hurried past her followed very shortly by someone matching Billy Brunt's description.  Some minutes later a young girl, who we believe to be Sophie Tremaine, also sauntered by. Mrs Hopkins suspicions were aroused because all three appeared to be in a hurry and looked worried or serious. Everyone else aboard the train was in high spirits"
Chandler carried on "having interviewed Trewithen, Pettifer, Goldsworthy, Brunt and Sophie Tremaine what happened next is the crux of the matter. Eric Truthall was waiting in the vestibule. Trewithen , having by chance picked up the knife followed him. He was carrying what appeared to be an axe handle, as witnessed by several other passengers. Trewithen was focussed on disabling Truthall to snatch the ingot. On reaching the vestibule, with no one else about, Trewithen hit Truthall over the head with the axe handle which he then dropped. In a scuffle Trewithen stabbed Truthall in the hand using Pettifer's penknife. Truthall was disabled but not seriously injured but Pettifer grabbed the ingot, pulled the Communication Cord and jumped from the train as it stopped. He threw the knife away but in his hurry he dropped the ingot which he believed he could recover later. Thomas Goldsworthy, fearing that something may go wrong had taken the precaution of taking a knife aboard with him together with a cloth soaked in strychnine. He arrived just as Trewithen leapt from the carriage door.  Truthall believing that it was Goldsworthy who had attacked him turned on the so called vicar but was too slow. Goldsworthy stabbed him in the ribs then held the cloth to his mouth. Truthall slumped to the floor dead then Goldsworthy wrapped the knife in the cloth and threw it from the window. Goldsworthy was then horrified to find that the gold ingot had vanished. Goldsworthy then made his way to the rear of the train , regaining his composure before coming face to face with his daughter  Sophie. Sophie, knowing her father's reputation quizzed and realised what had happened. She rushed back up through the train but by then Harry Thomas had come across the body and raised the alarm. So, gentlemen, a sorry tale but Goldsworthy is your killer. However, Eric Truthall and Lenny Trewithen had big parts to play. Johnny Pettifer, despite his reputation, was not involved although he may have been aware of what was likely to happen. Sophie Tremaine, although a petty thief, did try to reach Truthall to help him but he was long dead by then"
The local police assembled in the room were amazed by the prowess of the two detectives from Exeter. One eventually asked, " So......what about Billy Brunt and Alec Rule the crap dealer? What part did they play?"
"I'm glad you asked that" replied Chandler "Rule was prepared to pay for the ingot but we have no proof that he can be linked to the case. He will simply deny involvement. As for Billy Brunt, well, he just happened to be aboard the train. Again, he knew the others but we have no evidence that can implicate him".
After some discussion and questions Chandler addressed the group again , "Alan and I will return to Exeter this evening. We will leave it to you to press charges and to tie up the loose ends. On the whole,however, we-are pleased to have been able to help. Thank you gentlemen"

One episode to go later or tomorrow..

port perran

Episode Thirty Three
Two days later Tom Chandler and his able ssegeant Alan Timms are relaxing back at Divisional HQ in Exeter over a cup of coffee.
"I'm glad we were able to sort the murder mystery in Cornwall so effectively" said Timms. "So am I", replied Chandler, " So am I. It's all about talking to the right people and I  mean the Bishop of Truro, the landlord of the Olde Crab and Ale House and Sophie Tremaine were all most helpful as was young Dennis Steele who witnessed the train stopping. I've arranged for the pub landlord and his daughter to receive a reward from BR. And BR are also giving a very special reward to young Dennis. He's to receive a footplate trip aboard a T9 from Wadebridge to Truro. I bet he can hardly wait"
" So, I guess the local-lads back in Truro have tied up the loose ends? Enquired Timms. "I believe so" replied Chandler, "A nasty case all round. I expect a very severe sentence for Goldsworthy and a lesser, but still harsh, sentence for Lenny Trewithen. We shall  just have to wait and see".
"And" continued Chandler, "I hear that after the first day the special Christmas trains to Truro were a great success and ran virtually full every day. The Truro Chamber of Commerce were also delighted by the  amount of extra trade generated by the trains. I also spoke  to the Bishop of Truro this morning. He is very embarrassed about the whole Thomas Goldsworthy incident  but passes on his thanks for bringing it to light". So, very well done Alan. Here's to our next case" he said raising his coffee cup.
THE END

Train Waiting

An excellent Christmas story, Martin; thank you very much indeed.

The guilty vicar was fully in the Agatha Christie tradition.

I also enjoyed railway dimension and the fact that the detectives spoke to people.

And I appreciated that you described the detectives making full use of the brain-enhancing powers of foaming ale and coffee.

I'm at business tomorrow, so I will make use of the latter but, sadly, not the former - worst luck.  My brain needs all the help it can get!

Anyway; a super story.

Thank you.

Toodle-oo.

John 
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

port perran

Thank you John.
It was inspired by both Agatha Christie and the novels of Edward Marston (if you know him).
Marston's railway detective seriies is very readable and set in the 1850s. Well worth a try if you haven't come across his work.

Mito

I've enjoyed all the episodes immensely.  :thumbsup:  I don't know what I'm going to do in the evenings now! Have you thought of taking up a new career in you retirement? An Easter tale perhaps?
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

port perran

Quote from: Mito on January 08, 2018, 08:41:49 PM
I've enjoyed all the episodes immensely.  :thumbsup:  I don't know what I'm going to do in the evenings now! Have you thought of taking up a new career in you retirement? An Easter tale perhaps?
No - it's out of my system now. Back to model railways.

AlexanderJesse

Many a thanks fot this pleasantly laid out story. Have you already started your collection of railroad stories?
QuoteSo, very well done Alan. Here's to our next case" he said raising his coffee cup.
Is this a promise? I certainly would be pleased...
=================
have a disney day

Alexander

Remember: vapour is just water and therefor clean

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations