A Cornish Christmas Mystery

Started by port perran, November 21, 2017, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Episode Eleven

"What's happened", exclaimed fireman Dave Rule, looking out from the footplate both ahead and behind. "Someone's pulled the communication cord – first time it's ever happened on a train I've been driving" replied Ted Williams. "We've come to rest just at Perran Beach Halt. I can't imagine what's happened".   With that guard Tom Tonkiss was hurrying up the track towards the engine. "What's happened Tom?" enquired driver Williams. "Someone's pulled the cord in coach two" replied Tonkiss. "I'm just going to jump back aboard to see what's happened. I'll 'phone the signal box first to let them know that we're stuck on the line. Don't know how long we're going to be here".
Back aboard, Sophie Tremaine, ever alert to possible trouble, locked herself in the vacant toilet in the last coach. In the buffet, Sylvia, the barmaid, got back to her feet after slipping as a result of the violent stop and being surrounded by broken glass.  Dodgy John, who was making his way back to the first carriage made the quick decision to sit down quickly. Seeing just one available seat in coach two he quickly slipped into a seat next to a rather plump lady who seemed startled by his sudden appearance by her side.
Elsewhere aboard the train no one appeared to know what had happened. There was much speculation. However, in the vestibule between the first two carriages it was Harry Thomas, Chairman of the Trepol Bay Chamber of Commerce, who had pulled the Communication Cord. He was now leaning out of the window frantically waving to gain the attention of guard Tonkiss. Tonkiss, however, had his eyes firmly fixed on a door at the rear of the train which was open. He thought he saw someone running very quickly away and around the back of the train. However, he couldn't be sure. Just then he noticed the urgent waves from Harry Thomas and hurried towards him. "What ever is the matter Sir?" asked Tonkiss, looking up at a very white face peering out of the window above him. "You'd better get up here quick", stammered Harry "An' see for yerself".............
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

cornish yorkie

:hellosign: Thanks for the story Martin, what ever will they find up there?
      regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

weave

Quote from: cornish yorkie on December 14, 2017, 11:28:25 PM
      regards Derek.

Maybe he saw this in the buffet car and panicked....

https://gettingreadyfor2015.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/no-pasties-allowed.jpg

Seriously Martin,

Great stuff and looking forward to further instalments.

Cheers weave  :beers:

port perran

Episode Twelve

"I 'ave ta get upta the box first to warn the signalman and stop other trains, I'll be as fast as I can" said Tom Tonkiss.   With that he ran, stumbling as he went, up to the signalbox where signalman Edwin Tull said "What's the matter Tom – summat up?" "Tis our train – someone pulled the communication cord – don't know what's up but you better put all signals at danger right away" replied Tonkiss. "Righto, but I hope it ain't a big problem, we 'ave the Wadebridge main liner due from Truro in fifteen minutes" replied the signalman.  With that Tom Tonkiss started to run back towards the train. As he went, he was sure that he felt someone watching him, maybe from behind one of the bushes up on the bankside, he couldn't be sure. Could it be that person he thought he saw running from the train earlier. He stopped to look around – nothing. All the same, he could feel a pair of eyes watching him.
Tom ran the rest of the way back and up to the point where Harry Thomas was still waving and calling out of the carriage window. "Whatever is it?" enquired the guard.  "Climb up here and you'll see for yourself man" replied the exasperated Chairman of the local Chamber of Commerce.
Once aboard Tom could hardly believe his eyes as he looked around him. "You'd better summon an ambulance fast" said Harry Thomas, "If it isn't already too late for the poor devil"...............

port perran

Quote from: weave on December 14, 2017, 11:55:54 PM
Quote from: cornish yorkie on December 14, 2017, 11:28:25 PM
      regards Derek.

Maybe he saw this in the buffet car and panicked....

https://gettingreadyfor2015.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/no-pasties-allowed.jpg

Seriously Martin,

Great stuff and looking forward to further instalments.

No pasties on Cornish trains. Whatever next !

port perran

Episode Thirteen
With some trepidation Tom Tonkiss climbed up into the carriage as Harry Thomas made way for him. Laying on the floor, face up, was a rather portly gentleman with what appeared to be a knife protruding from a deep wound in the region of his heart. His shirt and waistcoat were covered in blood which was seeping onto the floor around him.
The guard took just a few seconds to survey the scene and realised that it was up to him to take initial charge of the situation. His first move was to ensure that no one else entered the vestibule area and he also realised that he must ensure that no one disembarked from the train. He was also aware that he must avoid any panic. As such he made the decision to immediately get the train moved forward into Port Perran station. Tom climbed somewhat shakily down from the carriage and made his way forward to the locomotive where he instructed driver Williams to get the train moving but to stop at the next signalbox. "What's 'appened?" Enquired the driver. "Tis very bad news" replied Tom Tonkiss, "There's bin a murder I think". With that he returned to the carriage and the train got underway again whilst the guard made his way through the train telling all the passengers to remain seated and calm. He also took the precaution of locking all the doors although he had this feeling that the culprit had already left the train.
In ten minutes the train pulled up beside the signalbox. Tom now needed to act quickly........   

port perran

Episode Fourteen
Meanwhile, some 2 miles back along the line there was a decision to be made. Having crept off the train as soon as it stopped, and before anyone knew what was happening, Lenny Trewithen found himself hiding behind a lineside bush. What to do now? He could drop down into Penwinnick Valley, no one would see him there but it was nearly dark now. It would be very difficult to find the path without a torch. However, if he stuck to the railway line and headed in either direction, there was a good chance that someone would see him. Lenny figured that by now people would be looking for him. To make matters fifty times worse, he  realised that the small item he'd secreted in his pocket had gone missing, presumably as he jumped down from the train.
Back at the signalbox, guard Tom Tonkiss had given a summary of events to the signalman. The decision was quickly made to allow the train to proceed into Port Perran station bay platform where all doors would remain firmly locked. The signalman had immediately contacted the police and ambulance services who would meet the train at the station.
Within five minutes the T9 was at rest at the bufferstops awaiting both police and ambulance. Very soon the familiar sound of bells could be heard as police vehicles and two ambulances approached.
Back on the train,  Sophie Tremaine was still in the lavatory where she had locked herself as soon as the train had stopped. Dodgy Johnny Pettifer had returned to his seat in  the first carriage. Sylvia the barmaid, although shaken, was, to her credit, starting to tidy the buffet area. Harry Thomas was still standing by the locked door with the dead body next to him. Word had spread rapidly amongst the rest of the passengers. Rumour and speculation was rife.

port perran

Episode Fifteen

Sophie Tremaine made her decision. She would leave the lavatory and make her way through the train. She needed to know what was happening. The train had stopped and started several times which was most unusual. Not wishing to draw attention to herself, she hurried through to find a seat and sat quickly down, listening to the animated conversation around her to find out what had happened.
Johnny Pettifer sat quietly in his seat. He had seen nothing happening but felt guilty none the less.
Harry Thomas was still at the window but could now see ambulancemen and police officers approaching along the platform.
Back trackside, Lenny Trewithen realised he had no choice. He had to retrace his steps in order to find the lost item. Without it, he was in trouble, serious trouble. Big Dave Evans would not be happy. He would in fact be distinctly unhappy. Lenny set off into the darkness, puzzled somewhat by the faint and fuzzy light, apparently not moving, ahead of him.
Back at the train, the emergency services were by  now on board much to the relief of Harry Thomas. Sergeant Mike Tate was first to catch sight of the body, "Who is it?" He asked. "I've no idea" stammered Harry. "I was just making my way to the buffet when I came across him laying there".
"Well, someone must know who he is, no one must leave this train until further notice. We have ten men with us, we'll talk to everyone as soon as we can". Said Sergeant Tate.

No episode tomorrow or Thursday I'm afraid. Normal service will be resumed on Friday

port perran

Episode Sixteen
Sergeant Tate set his team the task of interviewing everyone on board. Surely someone must have seen something. It would be a long process but for the time being no one would be leaving the train.
Back at the lineside, young Dennis Steele, the avid railway enthusiast from Port Perran had been waiting, near to Perran Beach Halt, to see the special pass. He had been tipped off by his Uncle Les who, being a railwayman, was able to supply exact timings. It being late  and getting dark, Dennis was under strict instructions to be home on time for tea. Dennis saw his train but then was intrigued to see it stop suddenly and was then startled to see someone jump down from one of the carriages and run  quickly behind the train before vanishing behind a bush. Dennis could see something laying on the ballast just where the man had jumped out. As the train crept away again, Dennis remained where he was but couldn't see the man. He didn't reappear and Dennis wasn't sure how far he had run.
With no sign of the man, Dennis crept down to the line and quickly picked up the object. It was wrapped in a small green cloth and was surprisingly heavy for its size. Dennis ran back up the bank ready to retrieve his bicycle and pedal home. Just as he was about to leave, he saw the man creeping slowly along the trackside. Feeling that something was very much amiss, Dennis decided to cycle home but would call into the police station to hand in the object and tell someone what he had seen. He decided not to unwrap the object until he reached the safety of the police station.
Back on board the train in Port Perran station, the detectives had largely drawn a blank. No one had seen anything untoward. The police were however very interested in the fact that Sophie Tremaine and Johnny Pettifer were on board. If trouble was afoot then one or both of them were very likely to know something about it. Both however denied having seen anything though Sophie was terrified that the police would look in her bag. Finally, one of the officers interviewd a Miss Emily Price, a seventy two year old spinster who was seated next to the window and very near the vestibule where the body was discovered. Miss Price had heard some sort of argument but more importantly claimed to have seen something that looked remarkably like a knife fly past the window shortly before the train stopped.
Back at the police station, young Dennis was relating his story. He was well known as his Uncle was a retired Constable. Dennis was known as a reliable and thoroughly trustworthy young lad and as such his story was taken very seriously. After listening to Dennis' account the Serggeant said, "So....we'd better unwrap this small parcel then and see what's inside". He carefully unwrapped the green cloth.............

Train Waiting

I'm enjoying this!

Many thanks, Martin.

All the best.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

port perran

Episode Seventeen
Sergeant Harris, at the police station, slowly unwrapped the green cloth. Inside was a wooden box, much like a wooden pencil case but a little bigger. Harris carefully slid back the lid. Inside was a gold ingot, glistening in the lamplight. Inscribed at he top was the date 1779 and the wording Eglos Sant Euny. "Blimey" exclaimed the Sargent, "That looks like solid gold. Eglos is Church in Cornish. Saint Euny Church Redruth if I'm not mistaken".
Young Dennis simply stared with his mouth wide open.
Sergeant Harris knew he needed to act quickly. He was well aware of the incident on the train. It was then that he spotted the camera hanging around Dennis' neck. "Did you take a photo of the train young Dennis?".  "Oh yes" he replied, "Those T9s are my favourite locomotives and aren't seen West of Wadebridge very often. Especially clean ons. I took a photo as the train approached then wound on quickly to get another shot as it passed by me".
"Ok young man" said Harris, " Let's go as quick as we can down to see Alf at the Chemist before he close. With any luck he'll develop the film for us. There's just a chance that you managed to capture important evidence in your photos".  With that they set off, both on their bicycles, along the road.
At the trackside, Lenny Trewithen was still searching for the gold that had slipped out of his pocket. The light he'd seen was now gone but that only worried him more. Had someone seen him? He had to find that package or his life wouldn't be worth living. He was also worried that in wrestling the package from the man on the train, he'd done just a bit too much damage with the knife. Could he have killed the man he wondered? And maybe, in looking for the gold at the lineside he might also find the knife that he'd flung from the window. He wouldn't want the police finding that.

port perran

Episode Eighteen
So....."You say that Johnny Pettifer helped you take the top off his drink with a Swiss type knfe" said Sergeant Tate as he interviewed Sylvia the barmaid in the buffet on the train. "Did you see him put the knife back in his pocket?". "Yes" replied Sylvia "one of the other customers must have inadvertantly taken my bottle opener".
"Hmmm" surmised Tate, " I think we'd better go and have a word with you g Mr Pettifer"
Meanwhile, one of the other officers was having a word with a very worried looking Sophie Tremaine who sat with her arms clasped very firmly around her bag. "Would you mind if I had a look in your bag?" enquired the officer. "Oh there's nothing in there" replied Sophie "nothing of interest to you".
"Nevertheless, let's have a look shall we"
Meanwhile the photographs had been developed by Alf at the chemists and produced some excellent photographs.
Lenny Trewithen was becoming increasingly concerned. He could find no trace of either the package he'd lost or the knife which he had thrown from the train. He'd have to give up the search soon.

Mito

I'm going to have to have a drink. I can't stand the suspense..  :no:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

weave

Hi Martin (and Brian),

I'm going to have to have a drink too. Another great and very plausible excuse at this time of year (I've got loads for the last few hours, I say few hours....anyway).

Seriously it's getting really good.

Looking forward to more.

cornish yorkie

:hellosign: Many thanks Martin, looking forward to the next episode
      regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66