A Cornish Christmas Mystery

Started by port perran, November 21, 2017, 08:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Rather than "clog up" my main thread with a layout inspired Christmas thriller, I'm going to start a mystery tale here which will continue (on and off) over the coming weeks.
A tale of intrigue-hopefully.
Watch this space.......
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

Ok....  Looking forward to it..... I hope!   ;) :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

weave

Excellent news Martin and good idea to keep it separate (I sometimes lose track with the stories as it is).

Will it be just be text or pics as well?

Anyway, looking forward to it too.

Cheers weave  :beers:

port perran

It'll be text with pictures where they are appropriate.
I hope to publish episode one later.

Train Waiting

Quote from: port perran on November 21, 2017, 08:26:55 AM
Rather than "clog up" my main thread with a layout inspired Christmas thriller, I'm going to start a mystery tale here which will continue (on and off) over the coming weeks.
A tale of intrigue-hopefully.
Watch this space.......

... I'm watching!

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Evans

robert shrives

Brilliant, is it now time to start the spoiler froth,,, police , beer, good railway folk win out in the end.

Robert

daffy

Very mysterious :hmmm:

I'll have to keep an eye out for this. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

port perran

Episode 1
School days in Port Perran in 1962 finish at four in the afternoon. Young Dennis Steele, being an avid rail enthusiast always tries to make a point of pausing on the footbridge overlooking the station on his way home in the hope of seeing something unusual.
Today, instead of the familiar and somewhat tatty ex GW Siphon G van being stabled in the headshunt immediately behind the small building known locally as "Harry's Bar", there was a gleaming restaurant car in SR green livery.
Harry's Bar is so called in remembrance of Harry Polwithen who was a very popular platform porter at Port Perran and used to frequent the premises of the GW Staff Association, for a pint or two once his shift was completed. Harry unfortunately passed away some years ago but, being so popular, his memory lingers on.
Young Dennis was, of course, somewhat intrigued by the presence of the restaurant car so called into the station where he found, as expected, his uncle Les Steele who is a present day porter.  "Ah, 'tis a special evenin' young Dennis. Lots of very 'portant folks will be 'rivin' by special train later for a meetin' in 'Arry's Bar. T'aint vury big in thur an' they'm 'avin sum posh nosh so that thur dinin' coach ave been sent down from Wadebridge so they can cook up a propur meal fer the folk. Thas all I d'know sept the special train be arrivin' 'bout zix thiry".
Young Denis ran home as fast as he could in the hope that his tea would be ready and that he'd be allowed out straight after to see the special train arrive............

robert shrives

Well that is the appetite wetted with talk of posh nosh!
Robert   

colpatben

Orf for mi Parsty 'n Chips  :food:

Back by zix thiry

We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Train Waiting

Excellent photograph, Martin.  And a very nice 14xx 0-4-2T (I think) in the background.

Thank you.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

port perran

Episode Two
Dennis was a little disappointed on arriving at home to discover that his evening meal  would not be ready until six. This meant that he wouldn't be back at the station by 6-30 to see the special train arrive. He was, however, delighted that the meal was to be ham, egg and chips, his all time favourite and with fresh eggs provided by Mrs Williams from next door and thick cut ham from Braddons the butchers in town.
The meal finished Dennis was delighted to be allowed down to the station, "Providing you're back by seven mind" added mother with a warning wag of her finger.
On arrival at the station, the train had already arrived with two pristine chocolate and cream carriages backed into the bay platform. A lovely green liveried 45XX prarie tank was simmering just outside the small shed having presumably brought the train in from Wadebridge.
In fact the train had departed Truro much earlier, travelled up to Wadebridge via the Port Perran avoiding line, Quintrell Downs Junctions and Trepol Bay before arriving at Wadebridge where the prarie tank ran around its train for the journey back to Port Perran.
Dennis could see the very smartly dressed guests making their way from the station towards the GW Staff Association building. Dennis knew none of them but they certainly looked to be important judging by their appearance. Dennis counted some forty people in all.  Who they all were was a complete mystery. Unfortunately Uncle Les had finished his shift at six so there was no one to ask. Except..........who were those two men by the entrance, one with a camera ?
Dennis' normal shyness was outweighed by curiosity so he plucked up courage to ask, only to discover that it was Tom Wallace, reporter with the Western Morning News and his photographer Terry  iles. Both were names he recognised from the newspaper which arrived in the letterbox at home before seven each morning.
"Those people are all here for a very special meeting" said Tom.  "They are important figures from the railway and from local business organisations. All here to discuss something to do with Special Train Services for Christmas I've heard".  With that Dennis realised that it was ten to seven....he must run to be home on time.

cornish yorkie

:hellosign: & thank you Martin excellent story, we need to know more about these strange goings on.    :greatpicturessign:
     regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

port perran

Quote from: cornish yorkie on November 21, 2017, 08:22:12 PM
:hellosign: & thank you Martin excellent story, we need to know more about these strange goings on.    :greatpicturessign:
     regards Derek.
Thanks Derek.
The next update should  be tomorrow.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations