!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: BAR conversions  (Read 13892 times)

Offline Alex

• Trade Count: (+13)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: BAR conversions
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 09:35:07 pm »
Hi,

While waiting on the decals to arrive I've made a start to making a load for the log car. The wood stacks are made from balsa wood and wrapped in cigarette paper, then painted white. The markings are home made decals. Instead of using an inkjet I used my Laserjet printer. The decal sheet is specifically made for a laserjet. As it is toner there is no need to give it a coat of varnish to seal the image. 2 minutes after they were printed they were fixed onto the model.

The idea is to have this log car in a siding in the process of being loaded by a forklift.

Alex :wave:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 09:46:46 pm »
Very neat work, Alex. Your eye for detail is an inspiration to me and I am storing up ideas for my layout, mostly thanks to you :thumbsup:

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 10:21:35 pm »
Hi Newport,

Thanks. I saw a photo of this log car with a load of timber packs, so that gave me the idea.

I've done inkjet decals before but this was the first attempt with the laserjet, so I think that's the way to go in the future.

If you want further info on how I do stuff just ask.

Offline upnick

• Trade Count: (+16)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 10:07:23 am »
Hi  Alex,  :wave:

Superb  work  maybe you could do us a tutorial  on  the  decal  process sometime   ;)

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 08:03:44 pm »
Hi Nick,

I'll put somehting together at the weekend and post a tutorial on how I do my decals.

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 11:30:00 am »
Yahooooo, decals finally arrived. I resisted the temptation to get stuck in straight away until after we had done our weekly shop.

With a couple of hours to spare I started on woodchip gondoal number 1. Wow, these decals are very thin and very fragile. I didn't use any sort of decal softner/fixer as I didn't want to run the risk of ruining the decals. You only get 2 set in the pack.

After about an hour and a half the first gondola was done. Later in the evening I gave it a coat of mat varnish. Ooooops a couple of the decals disintigrated under the varnish. May have to try a spray varnish next time.

Anyway thismorning I weathered the beats using my artists soft pastels. I gavce it a coat of white pastel to take off the brightnes of the Jade Green, as most of the photos I have seen show this paint to fade very badly.

Some brown streaks followed and that's that, as they say.

I have to admit I really like the way this has turned out. As you can see from the date of my first post this has taken 24 days from start to finish, well for the one at least. I still have 3 more to decal.

I'm only going to do maybe 2-3 of the 50 ft log cars, but I'll definately have a long cut of these woodchip gondolas and I'm already looking on Ebay for suitable donors.

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 12:45:57 pm »
Hi Alex  :wave:

Brilliant   finish to  the gondola  ;)    look forward to seeing the all  door  car  with it's decals   :)

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 02:57:49 pm »
Thanks nick. This has to be one of my best conversions to date. I've seen other BAR freight stock that I want to do.

A 50ft hopper converted into a home made covered hopper for suger beet.
http://users.silcon.com/~lgoss/bar51.htm

A MoW car converted from a Canadian Pacific baggage car.
http://users.silcon.com/~lgoss/barmwx60.htm

A MoW car converted from a 40ft box car.
http://users.silcon.com/~lgoss/barmw111.htm

I'd also like to have a go at a BAR buggie, as they called their caboose. It's converted from a WWII troop sleeper car.
http://users.silcon.com/~lgoss/BARBuggy.jpg

That should keep me busy for a while.

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 10:12:46 pm »
Hi guys,

Well, I've started my MoW car.
http://users.silcon.com/~lgoss/barmw111.htm

I found a suitable volunteer and started carving away tonight. It's a Rock Island 40ft freight car. First off I ground away the door. Next the top half of the ladders were filed away. The roof walk was removed and the subsequent holes filled in. I then cut out the end door and framed it with 10x40 thou plastic strip. I would imagine there is also a door at the other end. I'm going to do the one with the least number of windows. Less chance of making a muck up. I'll tackle these tomorrow. As she stands just now.

I'm also going to add a couple of these.
http://users.silcon.com/~lgoss/barmw608.htm

Just basic repaints, nothing fancy. Now the black markings I can make on my printer. The BAR triangle logos are a different matter. You can't print white on an inkjet or laser printer. I haven't seen any decals this size.

Anyone know where I can get some custom decals made?

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 11:10:08 pm »
Hi  Alex  :wave:

Great   start on the  MOW  :thumbsup:   possibly you've seen  or have this decal  set  but it has  several   sizes of  white triangle  you may be able to  use 

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60-1187&Category_Code=BAR&Product_Count=14

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 11:14:27 pm »
Hi Nick,

Yes, I've been on the Microscale website but they want a minimum order of $20. I've tried looking for a UK based supplier but no luck so far. M G Sharp used to sell them but so far I've not had a reply to my emails.

I'm also keeping an eye on Ebay. Guess I may have to bite the bullet and but a few sets from Microscale.

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 08:16:51 am »
Hi  Alex,   :wave:
I have  sent for  the minimum   to   make up an order with  microscale &   can   recomend  their service highly  orders  arrive  quickly  the  fastest  is  5   days  i    recieved,  to  be honest it's quicker than   waiting for a suppplier  here to   make up an  order  & even  then Microscale could be out of stock  order online &   you  can   see  if  it's  in  stock.   
Oh & they accept paypal   :thumbsup: 

I'l   have a think if i  need  anything  &   may be able to  make up the order with you.

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 05:54:48 pm »
Hi Nick,

I'll place an order with Microscale at the weekend. I need those decals plus they have a sheet of data stencils as well, which is also what I am looking for.

I found a close match to the BAR orange. It's a spray paint from Tamiya, Bright Orange. It dries glossy so no need to gloss for the decals.

A test shot of a MoW car.

It'll get stripped back to the plastic and then a proper undercoat. I'm just too impaptient at times. ;D

Offline upnick

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 09:09:12 pm »
Hi  Alex  :wave:     

Good to hear you've got an order together for microscale  i've also tried some of their grafitti   sheets  some out  well  &  i've used some on buildings   ;)

Any joy with the  50   ft  sugar beet hopper  donors i   found a  47ft hopper in my box.

Offline Alex

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 09:14:54 pm »
Hi Nick,

I picked up a smooth side 3 bay hooper from Ebay for 99p. I'll see how it fits in with the photo.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here