!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Video "40 years of Roco 1960 - 2000"  (Read 582 times)

Offline Hiawatha

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Video "40 years of Roco 1960 - 2000"
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 03:57:50 pm »
In this very small corner, Minitrix and Fleischmann are the most common brands in N Scale, and i have always been told (even in shops) that when shopping for second hand, to look for Minitrix and Fleischmann locomotives since they are secure bets, solid runners and good value, even with older references.

I did not mean to look down on Roco or something like that (!), but the fact is that i never had one, and never got the chance to get my hands on any Roco locomotive... so they are not my target at all when searching online  ;)

I don't think one could draw a definitive conclusion that brand A is better than brand B. All the producers have made great models and all had their share of lemons. I have not heard anything that Roco would be any worse than other brands in this regard. Most problems seemed to occur with Arnold's split gears and Minitrix' crumbling plastic bodies (from their last independent production before they were bought by Märklin), and more recently with zinc rot on tender bodies (BR 03+41) or on the torpedo ladle and schnabel transporter cars. But I wouldn't go so far and tell anyone that he should avoid Minitrix products altogether.

As an Austrian I certainly have a bit of a soft spot for Roco as they were the first that dared to produce an Austrian locomotive in N scale that wasn't just a repainted German prototype. But I also remember discussions with Roco salesmen and their annoying attitude that N was too small a market to produce anything more (like the most numerous class at the time, the 1042 - it needed Arnold to do that later) or the famous 4010 EMU. If you have all the documentation and plans already for H0, it would have been so easy to also produce an N version. Ultimately, the focus on H0 didn't prevent their bankruptcy; so, well done, Roco ... ::)

Yes, and those are some of my favourites from the Roco range, as is the 101 you also mentioned.   I have examples of the 1044 with original 2-axle drive and the later 4 axle drive, and the older ones are perfectly good runners but the newer mechanism is a definite improvement.   

It was a photo of a VT11 set at Darmstadt Sued which inspired the station for my layout.

My main observation would be that the older 3-pole Roco motor can be a little "sticky" to start, but this was improved with the 5-pole motor. 

I have three examples of the BR44 2-10-0 steamer, they all tend to "whine" a little. One of them I replaced the motor with a Fleischmann which made it smoother and quieter running.

I don't know whether there has been any further development of the models since rebranding as Fleischmann?

We shouldn't forget that the "newer mechanism" was introduced - I don't know exactly - like 25, 30 years ago, and the BR 44 was retired at about the same time. Roco locos since the 1990s are certainly no worse than their competition but were always priced much lower.

Nice photo of a "Max Liebermann".
I certainly love the Roco VT 11's. Just a sneak peek for an upcoming post on the TEE thread:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:02:15 pm by Hiawatha »

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 08:30:31 pm »
Never went for anything from Roco in N-Scale, as feedback is low comparing with Trix and Fleischmann. How do they stand against these two brands in N-Scale?  ???

For what it's worth, the V200 loco I've got (a 1990s version) runs smoothly, quietly, and is very heavily and solidly built (lots of metal). On the other hand, it's got thick flanges on the wheels, and between that and the limited clearance under the fuel tanks, it tends to grind through carelessly laid ballast.

I've got a Fleischmann loco of similar vintage, a DRG E32, and I feel quality is very similar.

Both of them really show how rubbish British stuff from that era was. Indeed, one could argue that we still haven't caught up with the European manufacturers in terms of build quality and reliability!

Cheers, NeMo

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 08:38:05 pm »
I'd have said that Roco rolling stock was at least the equal of anything else made in the last century by other European manufacturers. I don't possess any Roco locomotives, but I do have a lot of rolling stock which holds its own against more modern items. Fleischmann have reintroduced some Roco items under their name, since the Roco name is no longer used for n gauge, but the improvement over the original Roco models has been minimal. It was the late Roco Eilzugwagen, in part, that got me back into n gauge. The newly issued Fleischmann Umbauwagen offer little that the 1980s Roco ones don't already have, modern coupling pockets aside.
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 08:47:26 pm »
Both of them really show how rubbish British stuff from that era was. Indeed, one could argue that we still haven't caught up with the European manufacturers in terms of build quality and reliability!
My sentiments exactly!  I went over to continental N in the early 80s for that very reason.  Still have the 2nd hand Fleischmann loco which was my first purchase, still going strong.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 12:31:13 am »

As an Austrian I certainly have a bit of a soft spot for Roco as they were the first that dared to produce an Austrian locomotive in N scale that wasn't just a repainted German prototype.

Similar situation for French outline. In the early 1980s, Roco produced the Eaos in SNCF livery, and for the first time ever I was able to buy a decent French liveried N scale model wagon at a local Austrian model shop whilst on a skiing holiday! (January 1982 in Niederau, I took a morning off to visit Wörgl).

Roco then also  'dared' to produce the SNCF BB63000 diesel (same mould still being used by Fleischmann to this day (recent issues including an SNCF version in orange livery and the one in Swiss livery).

Also, Roco produced almost the first ever mass produced SNCF coach that was close to correct N scale (the Bruhat, which still stacks up OK today against modern SNCF coach models.)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:32:16 am by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here