!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Video "40 years of Roco 1960 - 2000"  (Read 583 times)

Offline railsquid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
Video "40 years of Roco 1960 - 2000"
« on: November 12, 2017, 08:20:46 am »
In German and mainly HO focussed, but interesting to see the various production steps (back before outsourcing became a thing).
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Video "40 years of Roco 1960 - 2000"
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 08:26:42 am »
Yeah, Roco is a most respectable name in model railways. I remember when they brought out a charming 009 loco with a spark arrester on the chimney - a godsend to 009 modellers of the day (myself included).

Link here to above loco and my embarrassing awful 009 rabbit warren layout:  :-[

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/MGalleryItem.php?id=4569
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:19:40 am by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 08:33:04 am »
My first ever N-gauge purchase was the Roco 21030 'starter set' with the V200*, which of all places I picked up on a whim from a toyshop in Florence!

I'd gone there for a scientific conference, and after listening to talks about molluscs decided to have an amble around the shops. I'd 'put away my trains' about age 14/15, so this was definitely the thing that reignited my interest in the hobby. The set was (and remains) little used, and it'd be another ten years before I really got back into things, but every once in a while I'd open the box and run the train around the loop a few times, and I guess that's what kept me receptive to starting the hobby properly.

After buying an Kato SD-45 loco and a few American wagons, I then ended up with the Dapol 'Hymek', and from there got more or less firmly entrenched in British N gauge. In some ways I regret that** -- even by modern standards that 1990s-era Roco V200 remains rock solid -- reliable, heavy, and nicely detailed. Roco might not be the most famous Continental manufacturers, but they have made some very nice stuff indeed.

Cheers, NeMo

*Which oddly, only has lights in one direction -- I guess a cost-cutting exercise.

**That 'Hymek' took some months of fettling to get working properly, and the weathered paintwork was so iffy it eventually have to be redone by Steve at Grimy Times!

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 08:51:08 am »
Vielen Dank! Good to watch, though I am only half way through as yet. Fascinating to see the production processes and while I understand some of the German language, it is a pity there is no English voice-over to get the full details.

And the wiggly-waggly test track raised a smile.

Nice historical shots of a favourite city, Salzburg, too.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:49:06 am »
My first ever N-gauge purchase was the Roco 21030 'starter set' with the V200*

*Which oddly, only has lights in one direction -- I guess a cost-cutting exercise.
Now that is interesting, the V200 I acquired 2nd hand "suffers" from that, I assumed the other end was broken but sounds like it might be by design. Nice little loco nevertheless.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 10:59:44 am »
Yes, the instruction leaflet states that "with set version one bulb only".

Also odd is that the packaging states that "the content of this packet must not accord to the decoration picture" on the front of the box! So while the V200 is on the front, the rest of the stuff on the photo is different from what you get.

Cheers, NeMo

Now that is interesting, the V200 I acquired 2nd hand "suffers" from that, I assumed the other end was broken but sounds like it might be by design. Nice little loco nevertheless.

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 11:07:44 am »
The 'cheapo' starter set V200 should be easy to identify as it also has simplified printing. There is no printing on the black frame, and also the silvering of lamp surrounds and grab irons was left off.

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 11:33:21 am »
The test track is  :heart2: !

Never went for anything from Roco in N-Scale, as feedback is low comparing with Trix and Fleischmann. How do they stand against these two brands in N-Scale?  ???
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:43:27 am by RicardoFig »

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 11:36:32 am »

Yes, the instruction leaflet states that "with set version one bulb only".

Also odd is that the packaging states that "the content of this packet must not accord to the decoration picture" on the front of the box! So while the V200 is on the front, the rest of the stuff on the photo is different from what you get.

Cheers, NeMo

Ah, mine came unboxed cheap from Ebay.

The 'cheapo' starter set V200 should be easy to identify as it also has simplified printing. There is no printing on the black frame, and also the silvering of lamp surrounds and grab irons was left off.
That would be it then.

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 11:46:23 am »
Thank test track is  :heart2: !

Never went for anything from Roco in N-Scale, as feedback is low comparing with Trix and Fleischmann. How do they stand against these two brands in N-Scale?  ???
The ones I have look fine to me, they all run very well (even one I bought as a non-runner, which just needed a few laps) and excellent value for money (all 2nd hand except for one). I don't have any equivalent Fleischmann or Minitrix models of the same type to compare them with however, and I wouldn't be surprised if you can find some forum reports on 1zu160.net lamenting various design errors, but like I said, they look fine and run, which is the main thing...

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 12:15:15 pm »
How do they stand against these two brands in N-Scale?  ???

My opinion:

the rolling stock models I've always liked and thought to be good value. Back in the 80s the paint finish was matt when other brands were more glossy looking, and I prefer the matt. 

Some of the early loco mechanisms not quite so good quality as Trix, Fleischmann or Arnold but usually ok.  They improved the chassis design over the years and later models were very good. 

If I see a Roco model I like, then I will not hesitate to buy it.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 12:17:11 pm »
Whose feedback? Sorry, but that's nonsense. Roco was the first to make an N scale model with flywheel (the BR 215), did put 5-pole motors in their models while Fleischmann models still use 3-polers today (ironically, both brands are now owned by the same company, Modelleisenbahn Holding GmbH Salzburg - or more correctly Raiffeisenbank Salzburg as they have been in constant financial difficulties in the past decade); they were the first to reduce the height of their coaches to prototypical levels (Fleischmann coaches still are much too high), and always had great detailing that puts much more recent Minitrix models to shame (like the new Minitrix 101 - earlier Minitrix 101s like the Starlight Express loco were in fact Roco models as Minitrix didn't have a mould for it). Many of the Roco models are now still produced under the Fleischmann brand, as the Roco name was phased out for N scale. And many locos weren't made by anyone else in N - like the VT 11 TEE, ÖBB 1044, SBB Re 4/4 IV or DB 181.2.

Those who don't like Roco are usually Märklin H0 fans who value their plump heavy iron locos and look down to higher detailed plastic models.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 12:19:20 pm by Hiawatha »

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 12:43:20 pm »
...VT 11 TEE, ÖBB 1044, SBB Re 4/4 IV or DB 181.2.

Yes, and those are some of my favourites from the Roco range, as is the 101 you also mentioned.   I have examples of the 1044 with original 2-axle drive and the later 4 axle drive, and the older ones are perfectly good runners but the newer mechanism is a definite improvement.   

It was a photo of a VT11 set at Darmstadt Sued which inspired the station for my layout.

My main observation would be that the older 3-pole Roco motor can be a little "sticky" to start, but this was improved with the 5-pole motor. 

I have three examples of the BR44 2-10-0 steamer, they all tend to "whine" a little. One of them I replaced the motor with a Fleischmann which made it smoother and quieter running.

I don't know whether there has been any further development of the models since rebranding as Fleischmann?

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 01:24:15 pm »
Whose feedback? Sorry, but that's nonsense.

While railway modeling did experience a "boom" around last years in Portugal (probably because brands like Sudexpress with affordable Portuguese models in H0), we are still a small community (in Lisbon i can count only 2 (!) open door shops for this hobby, and one is not in Lisbon at all), and the market (new or used) and number of modellers for N Scale is almost nonexistent.   :-\

In this very small corner, Minitrix and Fleischmann are the most common brands in N Scale, and i have always been told (even in shops) that when shopping for second hand, to look for Minitrix and Fleischmann locomotives since they are secure bets, solid runners and good value, even with older references.

I did not mean to look down on Roco or something like that (!), but the fact is that i never had one, and never got the chance to get my hands on any Roco locomotive... so they are not my target at all when searching online  ;)

Offline railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 01:54:02 pm »
Quote from: RicardoFig link=topic=39366.msg474424#msg474424

In this very small corner, Minitrix and Fleischmann are the most common brands in N Scale, and i have always been told (even in shops) that when shopping for second hand, to look for Minitrix and Fleischmann locomotives since they are secure bets, solid runners and good value, even with older references.
Never heard that, in my experience 2nd hand older ("made in Europe") Minitrix, Fleischmann and Roco are all pretty robust and reliable. I do have one older Roco (a DB BR ET 85 EMU) which is rather a poor runner, but all the newer ones (i.e. those which come in plastic cases rather than polystyrene boxes with cardboard lides) I have are fine. I even acquired one cheap as a "non-runner" which just needed a few laps of the layout to get back to normal.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 01:55:22 pm by railsquid »

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here