!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fleischmann Model 734010 SBB Re 4/4 II heads up  (Read 490 times)

Offline daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Fleischmann Model 734010 SBB Re 4/4 II heads up
« on: November 09, 2017, 06:43:40 pm »
I received an email from Bahnorama Modelleisenbahn in Bern today of various offers etc. At the end of the email was this message:

Also a note about a Fleischmann article:
Due to quality problems (faulty printing), we decided not to deliver article 734010 (SBB Re 4/4 II Porrentruy) until correctly printed casings are available. Thank you for your understanding!

This loco is a new release this year and details of it are here:
http://www.fleischmann.de/cz/product/234538-0-0-1-3-400-0-002002/products.html

Whether this is a problem with all first release products to all sellers is unknown to me, and I note that Modellbahnshop Lippe (for example) are listing it as available with no indication of a problem.

I believe there's a DCC version too, no. 734090,  but do not know whether the problem applies.

I give the info here for anyone considering this as an addition to their collection, and a query about this to your chosen retailer would I feel be in order.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 06:49:06 pm by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
Re: Fleischmann Model 734010 SBB Re 4/4 II heads up
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:06:21 pm »
Happy New Year everyone! :wave:

I don't know if this is old hat or still relevant for our SBB friends: The faulty printing on this loco are the chrome SBB CFF / SBB FFS letters which are too low (Fleischmann printed them in the same location as on the TEE version where the letters were lower to be in the red part). Of course this applies to the DCC version too.
Not sure if there will be a new run and replacement shells.

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 12:08:49 am »
Thanks, not old hat at all.  :no:

I was unable to find the reason for BM's decision at the time I posted their comment,  now all is clear.
I rather doubt Fleischmann will do much about it until a new body shell manufacture run is called for when this stock runs out, or if sellers like BM return the faulty stock and/or Fleischmann do a recall.
I don't see any other sellers noting the problem to their customers, so a lot may get sold with some folks not knowing (and/or perhaps not caring) that there is a minor inaccuracy.
Question may be, if they do get a revised model out, how will prospective knowledgeable buyers know whether they are ordering the revision or the original?

And a Happy New Year to you this Twelfth Night.
 :beers:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:10:02 am by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 01:02:47 am »
Another Fleischmann goof then...
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 05:22:49 pm »
I rather doubt Fleischmann will do much about it until a new body shell manufacture run is called for when this stock runs out, or if sellers like BM return the faulty stock and/or Fleischmann do a recall.
I don't see any other sellers noting the problem to their customers, so a lot may get sold with some folks not knowing (and/or perhaps not caring) that there is a minor inaccuracy.
Question may be, if they do get a revised model out, how will prospective knowledgeable buyers know whether they are ordering the revision or the original?

At least, Fleischmann have changed the photo on their website to show how the model really looks like

while some dealers still use the original factory photo with the correct lettering (I think this is a retouced picture of a H0 model).

In direct comparison the difference is obvious, but I doubt that many non-Swiss dealers and modellers would recognize this error immediately. So it's understandable that the German dealers sell the model normally while the Swiss dealer was reluctant to do so. I have read that a Swiss dealer has returned all these locos to Fleischmann as they just wouldn't sell there. But I doubt that there are sufficient returns to justify a second run.

Of the wrongly painted 120.5 there won't be a second run soon. And here Fleischmann still shows the picture with the prototypical grey roof on their website

although they have also provided a photo of their "design concept" :no: as produced.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:34:50 pm by Hiawatha »

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 01:25:36 am »

The premise for doing this variant is weak anyway IMO. Once again this is a manufacturer prioritising the 'star' over the 'workaday' version of a locomotive.

11239 in green received the Porrentruy name on 22 June 1979, but was involved in an accident in 1982. It was rebuilt and repainted in red in 1984, so overall the loco spent a pretty small proportion of its active life in green livery with the name badge.

The incorrect positioning of the lettering really is an unacceptable error for such a well known loco class, especially as they got it correct on the green livery 11161 model.

In addition of course the lettering never really looks quite right as it is white painted lettering not aluminium coloured raised lettering.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:31:25 am by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 09:41:09 am »
In addition of course the lettering never really looks quite right as it is white painted lettering not aluminium coloured raised lettering.

It looks like Fleischmann must have attempted to correct this at some stage as My Re 4/4's have silver lettering.
Yet another thing for buyers to be aware of.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:50:05 am by swisstrains »
John

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 01:21:34 pm »
On the 734001 TEE version the lettering is definitely silver, not white. But it would be preferable if Fleischmann would print such lettering in chrome instead. When emblems and window surrounds can be printed in chrome on 1:43 and 1:87 car models then it should certainly be possible on N scale locos.

Where I do not agree is that these letters have to be raised. I don't know how thick the letters are on the real locos, but if I assume 8 mm for ease of calculating, that would be just 0.05 mm in N. So it's either exaggerating the letters (as on the Hobbytrain/Kato Re 4/4 I where they stick out like 30 centimetres) or print on a flat surface instead. Here, as the position of the letters is not the same on all liveries, I find the second option better to avoid complicated multi-slide tooling. (Of course that's no excuse for wrong graphics.)

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything