!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Toxophily anyone?  (Read 387 times)

Offline TrevL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
Toxophily anyone?
« on: October 25, 2017, 06:19:28 pm »
Target archery is my other hobby, I shoot twice a week, as long as it's not lashing it down. In a couple of weeks we will be shooting indoors until April, so the weather will not be an issue for a while. Distances I shoot vary from 20 yards up to 100 yards, depending whatever round we're shooting.

A couple of piccies of my kit, It's a PSE Stinger 2013 compound bow, 50.4 lb draw weight, 316 feet per second, 27.5" draw length, and it weighs about 4lb.  Arrows are Easton ACC (aluminium/carbon composite) 3-18  560's, and if I break one, which I have on more than one occasion, they're £15 a pop.  The kit is much better than I am, so if I'm not shooting well, I've only myself to blame.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:22:38 pm by TrevL »
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Offline Delboy

• Awards
Re: Toxophily anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 06:39:47 pm »
Ooh Trevor
You never mentioned that
Where do you go for that pastime?
Dennis
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline TrevL

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 07:18:26 pm »
I'm a member of the Corus Deeside Archery Club (CDAC), have been for about 4 1/2 years.  We shoot at the Tata/ Corus/ British Steel sports ground on Rowley's Drive.  You see the railway embankment in the background, that's the line from Wrexham to BIdston just before it crosses the River Dee.  It's about  200 yards from my house., very handy.
Cheers, Trev.

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 07:22:19 pm »
My lost hobby, Trev.  Having no experience whatsoever, I thought that it would be a good idea to start an archery club in my university, and the team which I taught came second in the British Universities' Archery Competition two years later.  Starting a job where there was no local club, and then pressures of work and family meant that I shot no more, though I still have my bow and other equipment.
You would laugh to see those antiques:  a composite reflex bow of Botuff and kiln-dried, edge-grain Canadian maple; individual finger tabs (the latest thing); X7 alloy arrows; and as stabilisers were only just coming in, two weights which screwed into wooden blocks attached to the bow with sticky tape.  Total cost about £45 but good enough to win several medals.
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline TrevL

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:44:12 pm »
Very good, you should try and find another club, I'm sure you wouldn't regret it.
I started off about ten years ago on field archery, shooting recurve, but I found tramping up hill and down dale in the woods, wasn't good for the slight arthitis I have in my left knee, so I had to jack it in.  Six years later, I rescued the boxer in my avatar, and taking him for a walk down the river bank, low and behold, I discover there is a target archery club two minutes away from home.  The club has been there since 1953, and I've been here since 1989, never knew it was there.
Cheers, Trev.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 08:06:57 pm »
Used to shoot a straight forward longbow as a lad, with my old dad way back in the 70s.  None of this compound stuff with weights and things!

I remember we used to go out and target shoot across a small valley, don't think the farmer was too impressed!!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 08:29:18 pm »
Years ago I had a friend in Tennessee who made his own bows and arrows for competition, and on his 9 acres he had his own target range too. I went over for a couple of weeks in about 1996 and basically they're all just rootin', tootin', shootin' kinda guys. It struck me anything was fair game! :worried:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything