Theft of 2mm Finescale Rolling Stock

Started by 2mmMark, October 16, 2017, 09:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2mmMark

A message from Tim Watson

"Whilst unloading the van carrying our exhibition layout "Copenhagen Fields" at the Model Railway Club in London N1, on the evening of 15/10/17, an opportunist thief stole a small black and aluminium case containing 81 wagons and three coaches. These were made by the late Bill Blackburn. Each item has a conspicuous yellow dot painted on the underside. They are all to 2mm : 1ft fine scale standards and will not run on N gauge track. They are exquisite examples of work in the scale. If you hear of a collection of 'N gauge wagons' being sold please let me know. I will update with the police crime report number as soon as I have it. Please share widely."

If anyone hears of this collection being offered for sale, please contact The Model Railway Club or send me a message via the forum here.

Mark

Dr Al

Sad - likely the thief won't have a clue what they are, so could end up lost forever  :(

Hope that's not the case and they show up.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Bealman

Yes, very worrying. Could be just thrown away.

Keep vigilant, UK  members!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

R Marshall

Quote from: 2mmMark on October 16, 2017, 09:41:54 AM
A message from Tim Watson

"Whilst unloading the van carrying our exhibition layout "Copenhagen Fields" at the Model Railway Club in London N1, on the evening of 15/10/17, an opportunist thief stole a small black and aluminium case containing 81 wagons and three coaches. These were made by the late Bill Blackburn. Each item has a conspicuous yellow dot painted on the underside. They are all to 2mm : 1ft fine scale standards and will not run on N gauge track. They are exquisite examples of work in the scale. If you hear of a collection of 'N gauge wagons' being sold please let me know. I will update with the police crime report number as soon as I have it. Please share widely."

If anyone hears of this collection being offered for sale, please contact The Model Railway Club or send me a message.

Very sorry to hear that. Copenhagen Fields is a superb layout and I'd love to see it in the flesh - the video clips are a delight in themselves.

Bealman

Yes indeed, but let's not get into a discussion about CF. Tim has posted here for people to help by keeping their eyes open, in the hope that these masterpieces may be returned.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

R Marshall

Aye, but I thought an expression of sympathy was in order.

2mmMark

The sentiment is much appreciated. They were of enormous sentimental value to Bill's family. He made them with great love and painstaking care. It's particularly sad because, after his death last December, they were a very important part of his legacy to his grandchildren.

We've done many exhibitions with Copenhagen Fields without incident. It highlights the need for vigilance when loading and unloading.

A  few years ago, some stolen 2mm locos were recovered when spotted on a trader's stand at Warley some time after the theft. The trader was entirely innocent, had purchased the items in good faith and quickly restored them to the rightful
owner.

Mark

Dr Al

Quote from: 2mmMark on October 16, 2017, 11:07:48 AM
A  few years ago, some stolen 2mm locos were recovered when spotted on a trader's stand at Warley some time after the theft.

If you/CF team are able to arrange any photos of the stock, that can be spread far and wide that'd probably help folk know what to look for.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

ntpntpntp

Like Dr Al I do have a nasty feeling this was rather too opportunistic. The description of the case sounds like a typical camera case, so once the tealief takes a look and finds it's not electronic gadgets, cameras or tools easily sold to "bloke in a pub" they may be simply chucked.  Real shame if so.

I'm sure we will all keep our eyes open, so a couple of piccies would be helpful. I've made a mental note of the "yellow dot" identifiers, and of course the finescale wheelsets etc. will stand out like a sore thumb on a trade stand.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Snowwolflair

I do hope someone got down to Camden Market quickly, that where all the stolen stuff in London turns up.  (and its only a mile away from their clubhouse)

Roy L S

Quote from: ntpntpntp on October 16, 2017, 04:51:16 PM
Like Dr Al I do have a nasty feeling this was rather too opportunistic. The description of the case sounds like a typical camera case, so once the tealief takes a look and finds it's not electronic gadgets, cameras or tools easily sold to "bloke in a pub" they may be simply chucked.  Real shame if so.

I'm sure we will all keep our eyes open, so a couple of piccies would be helpful. I've made a mental note of the "yellow dot" identifiers, and of course the finescale wheelsets etc. will stand out like a sore thumb on a trade stand.

It does seem like an opportunist theft to me too, highly likely the perpetrator had no idea of the content of the case and is very unlikely to recognise them as anything other than "toys". I feel for the family of the late builder as these were clearly of enormous sentimental value. The best hope of finding them is to keep collective eyes open and pass the word as far and wide as possible. Sharing some pics would help enormously.

Roy

2mmMark

Chatting with Tim earlier today, yes it was an opportunistic theft.  Unfortunately Calshot Street is closed for building work, so they were unable to get the van close to the club and had to stop further away than normal on Pentonville Road.

No photos available but there are about 20 vans, 3  or 4 brake vans and the rest are assorted open wagons. All pre-BR period grouping era.  Most have 2mm Association etched chassis. Bodies are a mix of kit, scratch and converted RTR. Coaches are converted Dapol Gresleys.

The items being dumped is our worry too. Club members are looking around but just where do you look?

The team are absolutely gutted. Until this happened, the Peterborough show had gone pretty well.

Mark

Snowwolflair

Make sure they also speak to the local authority bin lorries.  The operators are quite sharp eyed for this sort of thing and are generally very helpful.  I used to love just off Old Street close to there

Snowwolflair

The whole area is rife with drug dealers and crack dens, especially around the north of Kings Cross, chances are it was a druggie looking for quick cash for a score and they have ditched them.

Skyline2uk

For those with access to the NGF Facebook page, I have ccopied some recent updates / photos of the wagons.

Skyline2uk

*Edit: Link removed as it didn't work for others.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations