!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Clouds Hill - My first layout  (Read 3887 times)

Online Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Clouds Hill - My first layout
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 08:46:43 am »
Managed to negotiate a day in the man cave today so for motivation Iíll list the plan and reply again tonight to see what I actually get done.......

Must do;
1. Finish panelling on garage side of wall.
2. Cut/mount portals through the wall.
3. Mount garage-side baseboard.

would be nice to;
4. Box-in garage side baseboard.
5. Clear desk to make space for baseboard sections.
6. Cut baseboard (at the river banks) and glue foam to it.
7. General tidy-up!

Must not do;
8. Get distracted by other projects.
9. Make any trees from my tree making kit Christmas present.

Because it seems wrong to stop at 9.......
10. Enjoy ďplayingĒ!

Iíll report back later on progress. Iím determined to have it ready for a train to run by the time I go back to work next Tuesday!
Thanks,
Paul

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently under construction; http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39084.0

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 08:52:09 am »
You are incredibly organised for this time of year!

Good on you!  :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 06:10:51 pm »
All in all a good day today. I managed to do all of the "must do's" and I didn't do any of the "must not do's". Some jobs took a lot more time and effort than I thought they would, mostly because I've changed my mind about the construction an layout so many times that I had to keep remeasuring and cutting down the pre-cut wood!

The portals are cut/mounted and the paneling is finished on the garage side;

The garage-side baseboard is on (but not boxed in yet);

All lined up ready. The foam isn't fixed down yet and I've not cut the board down so I cant lay track yet. I'm hoping that will be the next job.

I layed the curves in to make sure they were level and all was well.

Left-hand "station and town" end;

Right-hand "mountain tunnel" end;

Didn't get as far as tidying up the desk!

And for those that were asking about the hole in the wall, this is what it looks like folded down. This is the arcade machine project for next year.......

Almost out of the construction phase and into actually modelling something. I'm enjoying the process so far! A couple more evenings and I may even have a train running  8)

Thanks for looking.
Paul

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 06:12:53 pm by Pjlons83 »
Thanks,
Paul

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently under construction; http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39084.0

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 08:31:27 pm »
Most impressive!  :thumbsup:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 10:28:42 am »
Time for me to fret about track very close to the baseboard edge (again) :uneasy:

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2017, 10:31:05 am »
You're better again, then. :beers:

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
Re: PJ's first layout
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2017, 10:55:54 am »
See page 1  ;D

I would really suggest some form of clear barrier fronting the baseboard as a certain law will say something derails and you don't want it plummeting to the floor, especially not from that height!

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2017, 11:12:26 am »
That was 35 posts ago! My memory is not that good :no: :-[

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2017, 09:22:50 pm »
Just a small update to see the year out! Minor setback tonight so still not managed to run a train as the track laying has been delayed.  :(

I managed to get into the man cave a few days ago and spent most of the evening peeling the foil off of the Celotex. With this done I set about measuring and marking out the exact track position. I'm using a Peco track (rather than Unitrack) for the bridge as I don't want ballast on a wooden bridge so the marking-out enabled me to position the river. Luckily I didn't cut the river straight away because it turns out that Celotex with the foil peeled off shrinks quite drastically.  :o

No major issue other than an evening wasted marking out and another job back on the list. I did decide on the river position tonight and cut that out of the foam.

I'll cut the play another time as the jigsaw is too noisy to use in the evenings. I'll also cut the baseboard at the first curve once I have it marked again. This will give me 3 sections to easily remove and work on on the desk. Fingers crossed the foam will remain stable now. I've left the track in position tonight so I can see in a couple days whether or not it's still moving.

You can also see in the last pic that I have reduced the incline to a small 6mm (over a meter) so I need to prop up the foam for that. I'm thinking of using 0.5mm sheet material (plastic or plasticard maybe) stepped along the length filled with adhesive. If anybody has any other methods in mind then I'd be happy to hear your thoughts. The bridge will be on the incline section so the support will need a break at the river which makes it a bit more fiddly to add to the fun  :hmmm:

Thanks for looking and a happy new year to you all!  :beers:
Thanks,
Paul

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2018, 09:42:28 pm »
After a good few hours "playing" today I can now call the baseboards complete. 2 main sections are ready for track to be fixed and a small insert on one end will allow me to remove the boards to a workable height once the track is joined.

The river/rocky end will be the first to be modeled;

A small oversight in the construction means that it will have a small waterfall/rocky section towards the back.

The left hand side will have a station/platform, small town area and possible some light industry. It's still to be finalised.

The garage side is now boxed in. This should help keep it clean and once insulated, will stop the cold coming through the cut-outs.

I've hinged the lid in 2 halves to make access easier. I just need to add some kind of fastner and hooks to keep it down tight and hinged up when required;

I couldn't resist running a train at the end of the evening. The bridge is un-supported, the track isnt fixed down and the edge protection is not yet in place....... but I wanted to!  :D

Those of a nervous disposition are advised not to watch  :o

https://youtu.be/OUdQ--hKZeI

Next job is to lay the entire loop and fix the track in place. Then I need to tidy the desk so I can start the modelling.

Thanks for looking!
Thanks,
Paul

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 09:23:07 pm »
Not a huge update but something of milestone has been reached. The desk is tidy (if simply moving the mess to another place counts?) and the right hand side of the layout is on the desk ready to be worked on.

I started making a template for the bridge but decided that I need to plaster the banks first to get the final dimensions. The left hand mountain section is carved and both are now glued down.

Will hopefully get a few hours on it on Sunday so thatíll give the glue plenty of time to set. Looking forward to getting messy with the filler again!
Thanks,
Paul

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2018, 10:31:07 pm »
It must have been colder in the man cave than I realised tonight. After covering the second hill in filler and wrapping in foil it just didnít want to harden. In the end I bought it inside to let it go off.

I really must get the insulation finished and get a heater on in there.

If all goes well then I should get some paint on it tomorrow evening. Iím still undecided on the bridge design so I might forget about it for a while and come back to it later. I must have watched literally dozens of YouTube tutorials on rivers and Iím looking forward to giving it a go soon.
Thanks,
Paul

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2018, 11:24:56 am »
Not as good a finish as the first hill so will need a touch up before painting but overall happy with the look! If I can pinch an hour or so on it throughout the day it might be dry in time to still paint this evening.

Iím already in bad books with SWMBO as the dining table wasnít available for breakfast so fingers crossed Iíll be allowed to play at all today 😂
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:26:21 am by Pjlons83 »
Thanks,
Paul

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2018, 02:09:04 pm »
Whilst patching up, the river started to bug me. I kept looking at it and thinking it looked too neat and the lines too straight so I grabbed a few off cuts of foam and have stuck them along the edges just to break it up a bit.

I have a fishing scene planned and this will help that also.
Thanks,
Paul

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2018, 02:54:25 pm »
I think contouring the river and adding mud banks is a great idea. How about a little island in the middle to add interest?
This is my attempt:

My water is so brown because itís a tidal Cornish creek but you might want a different colour for the water.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything